Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21 days:)

Without vino!

Oh wow, it feels so good to break this cycle and I pray it continues! The hangover, the inability to concentrate, sluggish days where I only managed energy around 5pm just to drink again, avoiding people and making a bottle of poison my friend - how I lived like that I have no idea...

For those struggling, here are some things I learned along the way of this 3 week journey

1. Learn to LOVE the fatigue that accompanies withdrawal and life AF. At first, I thought I had to be rid of it asap until I realised that being tired (allowing my body to rest and sleep) was part of the healing. The being tired is a sign of my body cleansing itself of toxins, rejeuvenating cells...signs of a liver taking the day off from a heavy duty work load!

2. Don't get isolated and throw a pity party: Even if you can't speak to someone, read books and articles about people who are overcoming addictions, watch shows like Intervention which show people struggling. Intervention is great because you see how our addictions wreak havoc on our families, how much time we waste that we'll never get back. Stay inspired. I'm reading a good book right now called The Addicitive Personality by C. Nakken. Check it out - he does a great job explaining the stages of addiction and how booze/drugs are poor subsitutes for a life with meaning and purpose. And keep reading posting at MWO - the people here are wise and courageous!

3. See alcohol for what it is - highly addictive POISON that for some reason is socially approved and accepted as a form of recreation and enjoyment. When someone asks me if I want a drink, I now think of it as if soemone were asking me to snort a line. Or asking me if I want to use a needle to shoot up....or even smoke a filthy cigarette. Thanks but no thanks!

Go to GOOGLE and type celebrities and sobriety. I was amazed at how many successful people have overcome powerful addictions and they have daily access to the most expensive stuff out there. And they refuse it and live without it because they KNOW it destroys life, wastes their talent, adn doesn't feed the soul. They learned that life can be fun and meaningful without booze.

4. Avoid the temptation to think that you are losing out on life's enjoyments once you give up booze. Being able to do cardio for an hour is more enjoyable than a night of chemical abuse. And juicing and exploring healthy foods is more enjoyable than a cheap bottle of booze that preps the body for obesity, cancer, and heart disease.

Happy 4th! Every day is an opportunity for change and new beginnings. Let's pray for one another and support one another along the way!

21 days

:yougo::yougo:CONGRATULATIONS ON 21 DAYS AF!!!:yougo::yougo:

fABulous! I love your list of things you learned too. I especially relate to the part about enjoying an hour of cardio more than a night of self abuse with AL. ME TOO!!!! And I thought I wouldn't be able to live without AL. NOT TRUE for me.

Rock on!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

21 days

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm having one of those days and this helped me a great deal!

Comment

21 days

Cool post, early days for me but so hoping that one day I can feel like that. Thanks x:h

Comment

21 days

great post. very very very inspiring.
          well done on your af time, i'm in the early phases as well noodle & reading here always gives me a good dose of realism.
          thanks.:thanks::goodjob::thumbs::wd:

(alright,alright, enough emoticons already....sheesh)

Comment

21 days

Well done on your 21 days life, and great post keep up the great work you are doing on your self :-).

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

21 days

:goodjob:A massive well done:goodjob:

It really helps to focus on the good stuff. I struggled because I mourned my loss, but once I got over it and saw what an amazing place life is AF!

Read, sleep, watch crap tv, eat buckets of ice-cream and huge pats on the back :l

Long may it last
              I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

21 days

You are doing so great, and what a lovely post, too. Keep going!

Comment

21 days

Let's keep up the good work and continue to support one another!

FYI: My 1st step - admitting powerlessness over this disease -- took a LONG time. It was so hard for me to let go of the truth that I couldn't moderate my drinking and that stopped me from getting sober. I spent years doing 2-3 days clean [and hating it] only to wait for the weekend to get smashed. And that roller coaster life of attempted moderation sucked. To think that there was life without alcohol was a huge act of faith in the beginning, but once I tasted it, and really experienced that life AF had way more positives than negatives, there was no looking back. Sounds crazy but hitting rock bottom was a blessing, because the only way I could go at that point was UP.

The beginning is tough. I had to let go of some friends who were extremely upset once they knew I no longer wanted to go out and socialize around a bottle of vino. But when I was at a restaurant across the table from a drunk who spent more time in relationship with the bottle on the table instead of me, I had my first glimpses of the life I didn't want - and the person I didn't want to be.

Peace and strength!

"Every limit is a beginning as well as an ending." (George Eliot).

Comment

Working...
                  X