My first day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first day

:new: I come from a long line of alcoholics on my father's side. It sucks I seem to have inherited the "I can't hold my liquor" gene. Well, I am not going to try anymore. It just makes me look stupid when I lose control of my intake. I always say, I can handle it, no biggie. Well, I can't. I am putting myself first but I also have 3 little ones that come first as well, and if I'm not healthy, they won't be. I have a supportive husband but he LOVES to drink. He is one who can handle it. Well, I don't need to keep up with him, that's for sure. Let him have his drink, I'll have my health. So today begins day one. I feel grateful that my family is in tact and I have this day. One day at a time.
    'You might not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you!' - Walt Disney

I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. ~Agatha Christie

My first day

:colorwelcome: TiredofIt ! This is a great place to hang out. I too am from a long line of "Wino's" but from my mother's side. There definitely is a genetic link. Stick around and read alot of the different threads. Loads of information on here to help get you started.

Miss O.
    Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

My first day

:welcome: Tiredofit,
      Good for you for putting yourself first, This is a must ! if you take care of you the rest will follow by taking care of your little ones. My husband drinks and he can handle it, but i cant.....After a year sobriety my husband started drinking in front of me now, sometimes my head goes wondering off somewhere and i have to get back down to earth, and check in.....You will get lots of support here, keep posting and reading
      Being grateful can be very powerful there is a grateful thread somewhere and it may help to read through it. I did a grateful list for myself everyday and a plan list and it help me...

Keep safe and be strong you can do this.:l

Catch22.xXx
      Formerly known as Teardrop:l
      sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
      my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

My first day

Hello and :welcome: Tiredofit
        Let him have his drink, I'll have my health.
        this is the right attitude to have. Just because people around us are drinking doesn't mean we have to, ( it might be easier if he didn't) we walk our own path . Keep reading and posting. MM
        AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

My first day

A BIG welcome Tiredofit. Please keep posting as we all want to learn more about you.

Techie
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

My first day

Hello

Hi everyone..................I'm actually sitting here crying because I stumbled onto this forum...........I've been looking for a way out for at least 20 years...been drinking for nearly 40 years.....both sides of my family were big drinkers. Unfortunately I can hold my beer just fine. I buy a case every three days. But I'm what is called a "closet" alcoholic. Even my wife, whom I've been married to for 29 years, only thinks that I drink a little bit more than moderate. It doesn't effect my work (that anyone knows of), and if you asked anyone who knows me, they'd say that there's no way I drink too much. But I know that I'm killing myself and I've got to stop it. Having tried stopping many times before, I know that that won't work, so I'm seeking moderation. What I've read today in this forum has me convinced this is possible. I was part of a Naltrexone study in Boston years ago, but I couldn't tollerate that drug...at least not what they were giving me....but I see that there are now many more medications that can be used...I can't wait to get started.....
            Thank you ALL for being here..................MJ

Comment

My first day

Thanks everyone. When I get to the day I'm craving, I hope to find a way through it. MJ, I know what you mean. My husband doesn't think I drink as much as I do. I don't drink everyday but when I do, It's bad, having too much too fast. I really try moderation but once I get started, it's hard not to have another, then another, then another. I really hate it.
              'You might not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you!' - Walt Disney

I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. ~Agatha Christie

Comment

My first day

Hello Tireofit & madjohn!

Welcome to MWO, glad you found us - this is a good place.
                If you haven't already be sure you read the MWO book, it's a good place to start. You can download it right from the Health Store here. Arm yourselves with a good plan too - don't leave anything to chance, luck, whatever. It takes commitment & some hard work but you'll never be sorrying for kicking AL out of you lives

madjohn, there are several medications being used these days. I didn't use any Rx meds, lots of people don't. Perhaps that is something you can discuss with your Doc. Avoiding side effects may be easier when you have your Doc on board.

Before you have cravings & other problems look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for great ideas on how to prepare yourselves

Wishing you both the best & please visit the Newbies Nest thread for more support!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                X