Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conquoring day 1!!! Who's beating this with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning all.

Juja--I'm glad Christmas is over too. I had my family come over for dinner. It was nice, but I ended up with a major headache by 8pm and was looking forward to them leaving by then. They left around 10pm. I haven't seen WineSucks around, but I did see Clover the other day in the Nest!

Shue--I'm so glad to see you back posting and that you're feeling better from the flu. No promises necessary. Just the fact that you're posting here means that your mind is in the game.

Comment

Hi Flyaway, et al,

I, too, have the flu. I was so looking forward to the week after the holidaze--nesting, running around if I chose, or doing nothing. Well, I'm doing nothing but aching, coughing, etc. This too shall pass.

Still working on a plan.... Don't know how so many do it.

Love to all

Juja
      "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Trying again

I just get the feeling that with New Years Eve on Saturday I wont stay free until thats over. Already booked for meal with a load of drinkers so am resigned to trying again day 1 2012. I keep telling myself to get mentally prepared but I dont seem to know where to start. Any ideas?

Comment

planter02 the only advice I have (and I hope to take it myself) is not to get too hungry or thirsty before you go out for dinner. Better to not really enjoy every bite than to be reaching for 'sugar' in the form of wine.

How about telling your fellow diners that you have a touch of a tummy bug? Or tell them you are hungover and can't drink 'just for tonight' - that should gain you some understanding even if you have to fib....good luck. Lucky DH and I will probably be in bed sleeping by 10PM!!!!! so it's not an issue here ha, ha, ha!
          Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
          (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Hi Planter,
            I messed up 2 days last week, and have decided that's it. Of course I had thoughts that I'd just start over with the new year, but I am off on January 2nd, so I had to be honest with myself. I would NOT quit on January 1st, knowing I had the next day off. My quit date would then have been January 2nd, and that would ruin my goal of an alcohol free year. I, for one, cannot keep putting this off. 257 AF days in 2011 was good, but I can do better! I wish you luck with your dinner...please keep us posted ok?
            K9
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Planter hi,

Despite still being an alco, I managed to ace many social engagements this year AF.

Take to heart MWO?s advice not to be hungry or thirsty and think of an AF drink that looks alcoholic ? like gin and tonic with no gin ? or cranberry & soda or apple & soda in a wine glass ( both look like champagne).

I am planning on an AF new Yeas?s eve ? the party is at the home of acquaintances in the same neighborhood and all of them are heavy drinkers ( the joys of expat living) ? My plan is to bring a nice bottle of rose Moet for them and for me 3 big bottles of Perrier and a cranberry juice (it will look just like the champagne I am bringing). The other part is to bring the car ?we could walk but knowing I have to drive on NY?s eve when you are guaranteed a breathalyzer test will just add to the resolve.

Visualize waking up on Jan 1st slightly tired from dancing and the late night but clear headed and remembering everything that happened at the party.
              workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

anybody there can help me get started - I'm SCARED !!

Comment

Hi Satz-
                  I replied to your post on another thread. Can you tell us what's going on with you? We've all been where you are at, so please don't be shy or embarrassed. It's good you're here and I hope to get to know you.
                  K9
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Welcome Satz , Binge and MWO and others. I am not as computer savvy as many here, nor as gifted at going back and forth without losing my posts! I just trudge forward and don't look back! And that's not so different as what you are about to do here. Satz, I looked back at your posts, you have been around a while. And Binge, I can't address binge drinking directly...unless you count every night drinking as much as you possibly can, and then I am there. So I will give you the nickel tour as to what it takes to be almost one year sober! That's all I have so far! When I came here that first time in early 2010, I thought I was at the end of my rope. Unfortunately, after a year of trying to tame this beast, I learned that the rope was a little longer. The year I spent trying to moderate was the year I absolutely drank myself nearly to death. Once you try to take AL away, and then you get some, it's like you drink JUST TO DRINK! It's crazy. I will tell you this, but you will have to find it out for yourself: It is MUCH easier to get AL totally out of your life than it is to try and live with it. The thought of giving up my crutch was impossible to fathum. I had never gone an evening without it let alone the rest of my life! But that night on January 19, 2011 I made a promise to myself...and by god I have kept it. My husband of 24 years had packed his things and the next conversation was going to be who gets what. All I had worked for about to be lost for the sake of a dam drink! That first day was hard! I'd been coming to this site for a year, and made half hearted attempts at stopping. I managed to get 12 days in twice...I hung my hat on that, saying to myself, If I can do that, then maybe I don't have such a problem after all! I came to this nest, and I latched onto the words of those people who were doing what I had to do. NOT DRINKING! I followed their words and their actions, and pretty soon, I had a week under my belt (drinking joke). Then I finally hit 13 days....that was big. We can talk about that later. But what you have to commit to, is that AL is bigger than you are, and you must get it out of your life. YOUR life, we aren't talking about anyone else in the house....we are talking about you. All you have to do is get thru that first awful night. Mind you, you will be thinking of AL 24 hours a day and will even dream of it. Do NOT let this lessen your resolve. You must get control of your mind. The mind chatter will drive you nuts. Do whatever you have to do to keep your mind busy. Listen to music too loud...bake some cookies, call a talkitive friend just get yourself thru the awful hours where you would have normally drank. Then by say, 8 that night...you are essentially thru it. Rinse and repeat! Day 2 is the same way...but day 3 is big...that's when AL is out of your bloodstream! You will now be operating on your own power!! But first things first, read on this thread all you can. If you need something to help you sleep go back and read all my posts!! Bahahah....You will learn much from these folks here who have walked in your shoes. Just remember, do not give in tonight no matter what and no matter who.....all you gotta do is get thru THIS day! You can do it. Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi all
                      Didn't do too well last night but on day 1 in a new year I am having another go at AF. I dont expect it will be easy but I really want to beat this thing and have decided to give it my best shot
                      Planter

Comment

Just keep trying!

Comment

Day 1 again....a-conquering we will go x
                          ...peace and quiet....and a cup of tea.....heaven:h

Comment

I'm so completely over all of my excuses for having a glass of wine (or 3) each night. It's a dumb, pointless habit. I'm sick of the weight gain, the poor sleep, and feeling crummy the next morning. Using work stress as an excuse is absurd. I'm going into this new year with many new goals - let's do this! I WILL beat day 1!::thumbsup

Comment

day 1 again for me too, trouble is I love my wine, I don't want to not drink but on the other hand I do really want to stop, feeling very confused, and longing for a glass of wine :[

Comment

day 1 for me 2 new year new start we will do it together
                                visitors all gone so the temptation should be gone except for hubby and his drinking but here we go day 1 af

Comment

Working...
                                X