Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conquoring day 1!!! Who's beating this with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good morning ladies. it sounds as if everyone is really working hard and staying strong. I too made it through my first day. I know it sounds silly, but yesterday i tied a piece of string around my wrist and said to myself that this is my sobriety bracelet.... that there will certainly be no drinking as long as it has not fallen off. i know i looked at this little string at least a thousand times yesterday and each time it reminded me of the promise that i have made, not to someone else but to MYSELF!

here goes day 2

Comment

Good morning. It's a new day and a good day not to drink!:h

Comment

Me too - I'm a wine drinker thought I'd cracked it after a week! I was sure I'd do a month no problem - but here I am back at day1 again - Lets do it together

Comment

Jaxx, I think the string is a great idea! Maybe having a sobriety bracelet, earrings, necklace or ring is a good reminder; I'm a firm believer in tokens of that sort.

LydiaTPot, stick with us; I've had to do day 1 a few times over the last month or so. But I really do feel a new resolve this time.

For me, it seems like eating is the solution to a craving. I simply cannot let myself get hungry, especially after work when I'm always starving and will tend to think about a glass (more like bottle) of wine. These last few days, I either come right home and eat or stop for something to eat. I hope everyone has a wonderful, sober day!

Comment

What has worked in the past for me (learnt from hypnosis CD?s ) in order to eliminate the simple triggers (blood sugar related) is to ask yourself if you could be hungry or thirsty before you gulp the first glass of wine. I took their recommendation and had a non alcoholic drink first - each time I felt like a drink, for about 6 mths ?it definitely helped to curb overall consumption .
            workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Hello all! First of all today is my day 3 Thanks for your late night support ladies!!! Let me recap the last 12 hours.... Last night had a god aweful night sleep I think I may have forgotten how to "fall asleep" without stumbling into bed and passing out. Maybe slept 2 hours... Waking up every couple hours. Woke up feeling tired and a little shaky. Told husband how I felt and he smiley and chuckled a little. REALLY!!!! he has no idea. He did apologize. Fast forward 3 hours and a little caffine later; I feel better with a couple hours sleep then I "normally" do.

Ready to conquer day 3!
              Enough!
              Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Comment

Good luck sweetie. I'm on day 24. Hoping the next 30 aren't as slow as the first. At least I'm sleeping these days. Early on I barely slept at all. It made for a very long 24 hours.
                A month ago I was drinking enough wine to make black outs a regular occurrence. Scary. Feel so done with this but know I've felt this way before.
                Good luck on day number 3.

Comment

Hello me again...
                  To all those out there who have been "wandering" around this site. I would not have made it to day 3 if I did not start this thread and have this wonderful support around me. Sounds silly but I drove to work with this thread opened next to me just thinking what the stories were I was going to read. It was very comforting.

So I dare you to join us here if you have not done so already.
                  To my new friends... Keep in touch.
                  Feelin strong
                  Enough!
                  Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Comment

Congratulations Enough! I'm on day six and definitely feeling so much better. Just found out this morning that I got a new job and will be moving in the next month. I'm going to celebrate with a large glass of iced tea.

Comment

Congrats CL and thanks for the kind words Sped!
                      Enough!

Comment

Enough, I'm so glad you made it through a rough night! Congrats! I also, am so appreciative to have found this website and this thread. I look forward each time I open it to hear how everyone is doing. When I think of tonights drink, I go straight here to read.

I also had a bad night sleep, and it left my really disappointed at first this morning. (I think I expected this miraculous night with sweet dreams waking up refreshed and new). Didn't quite feel like that. But 1,000 times better than the hangover and guilt.

Today my husband has joined us on vacation so the evening will bring a new challenge. I realize now that everyday will continue to be tough. My plan today is to log in at the top of every hour to read & stay focused.
                        Good luck all..., so happy I'm on day 2!

New shoes

Comment

Enough!;1146064 wrote: Hello me again...
                          To all those out there who have been "wandering" around this site. I would not have made it to day 3 if I did not start this thread and have this wonderful support around me. Sounds silly but I drove to work with this thread opened next to me just thinking what the stories were I was going to read. It was very comforting.

So I dare you to join us here if you have not done so already.
                          To my new friends... Keep in touch.
                          Feelin strong
                          Enough!
                          Funny you should say that ... I kept thinking about it all day as well. Although I feel am more resolute this time, I know how many times I got my confidence back up and started binging. Checking in on the posts keeps me focused. I'll finish work and go home now, ready to start my day 3 tomorrow. :new:
                          workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Nearly 6 pm and not a bottle in the house. I am really very sleepy this afternoon. I think because alcohol wreaks such havoc on your sleeping patterns it can take some time before you are able to fall asleep on your own again, and well catch up on your sleep.

I was thinking today about the toll drinking takes on our brains, and our ability to focus on one subject for a long period of time, our memory, our ability to think creatively. There is much research that shows how important a good nights sleep is to our cognitive process, so undoubtedly the endless nights of broken sleep from alcohol abuse are going to seriously impair us. Spedteach you said that you were starting to have black outs as a regular occurrence, as was I. The next morning I never remember how I got to bed, what we watched on TV before I passed out. However recently I have noticed more lapses in my memory outside of blackouts. My short term memory seems to be failing me at times. One of my children can tell me something and 20 minutes later I wont remember what they had said. The morning after a night of drinking I will struggle to remember the names of people I see daily. If I stop drinking for a number of days my memory does rebound. However it takes a couple of weeks of not drinking before I am able to concentrate on anything for a long period of time. I have started taking L-Glutamine and Vitamin B- complex to help undo the damage already done. But the fact is that the effect of drinking 1 -1.5 bottles of wine a day is pretty damaging to our brain.

Today was a good day though, and I am grateful to be sober, again. Onto day 3!
                            While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
                            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Shueaddict... Clover...
                              I read your posts on another thread and how similar our stories.
                              How do such put together gals get so seriously screwed up! I was traveling with my very good job for over two years and it never mattered how much wine I drank at dinner. Always to the bar after by myself to my favorite hotel bartenders that I knew would "set me up" with 3 or 4 glasses for the price of 1 and a hefty tip. And yes... Had a glass I mean bottle... to celebrate, bad day, slow day, hot day, slow day, bored day, kids stress day!!! Too crazy.
                              A slow moving day 3
                              Enough!

Comment

Not tonight - wow that's some pretty interesting thoughts. I continued to be amazed how how similar all our experiences are. I used to feel like no one could relate or understand what I am going through. I don't even have to go through the exercise of explaining it to you all. You're living it too! Although it doesn't make me feel better knowing that others are struggling too, but it does help knowing others can relate and not judge. With that being said, my short term memory has definitely been affected. I sometimes forget mid sentence the point I am making. And this is when I'm sober! I'm sure I sound like a babbling bafoon when I'm drinking! I don't want to lose my mind! I don't want to lose another moment or thought due to alcohol. All the thoughts, conversations, evenings with my kids that I have lost because I chose to get drunk. Well, not today friends! I'm going to my sons baseball game and am making dinner tonight. Alcohol will not rob me of anything today. I hope you all are having a good day too! Thanks for this thread and for listening ( reading! )
                                God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

Working...
                                X