Looking to hear from abs ppl not on topomax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, Im looking to hear from some people who are staying abstinent without the use of the prescription drugs and just using the supplements, exercise, and cds. I haven't started this program yet but wanted to see if I could go the abstinence route without taking the prescription meds. Please let me know if you are doing this and if you are, how is it going, and do the supplements alter your mental state at all? Your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

some success without meds

I've been able to quit several times, for months or years, always without meds. However, it really depends on how much you've been drinking and how addicted you are. I've seen lots of people in my various efforts at not drinking who really needed meds to get them through the early stages.
    Another factor is how sick alcohol has been making you. For me, drinking has gradually made me physically and mentally miserable, so about 48 hours after the last drink, I get great relief. My problem comes later when I'm feeling better and the sneeky craving and feeling I can "handle" it return.
    I would do whatever makes you feel you'll succeed. Meds are a good tool, not a crutch...heck a crutch is way better than falling on your face!
    Just my experience.

Comment

I'm with you. I used to have a personal physician who would listen and help me along but she retired and i don't trust my new young doc to help or understand. So, no prescription meds.

Comment

I have never taken prescription meds and last year quit for 6 months, but I really think this is an individual thing.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all for the information. I take it the supplements do help the cravings a great deal?

Comment

I'm not taking any supplements this time, but last year I quit for 6 months and found that glutamine helped me quite a bit. I took 3 to 4 a day spread throughout the day, always one when I felt a craving coming on.

Comment

Thank you

This has been extremely helpful. Do you still listen to the cds and exercise?

Comment

I've never taken any prescription medications but do exercise, eat right, never skip meals and drink plenty of water. The only supplements I will take are 3000 mg of L-glutamine and a chromium tablet but only when I have a craving which are not very often anymore. Right now at 6 weeks without alcohol. Good luck!
                2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

I never have taken prescription meds or any meds to stop drinking,I got my self a healthy plan & goal and went for it 100%, so far so good :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I don't take any meds either. I have been to treatment though and find that meditation and the L-Glut works wonders.
                    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                    :h

Comment

I started out by reading the My Way Out book, and ordering the starter kit and abstinence CDs. I followed everything in the program except prescription drugs. The road was rocky, and I had a major relapse. But...I have now been sober 3+ years continuously without prescription drugs.

If you need them, USE THEM. I am willing to go to any length necessary to stay sober. If it becomes necessary for me to use prescription drugs, I will do it in a heart beat.

But just answering your question - I and many others here have managed to sober up without meds.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

14 months sober and no meds for me either. started out like DG with the books and supplements and CDs. Now I don't take anything and rarely listen to the CDs. My absolute knowledge that AL is poison to me is what keeps me AF.
                        New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Never took any meds either but I did rely heavily on the Hypno CDs!
                          They helped me relax without AL & also helped me change my thinking.
                          Posting daily helps reinforce everything you're reading & learning here too
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                          X