Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been on Naltrox for a few weeks...

Hi everyone.
    Lurked long enough, thought it was time to post.
    Getting a bit scared as I have been on 50mg of Naltrexone for a couple of weeks now and haven't really seen any difference in my daily drinking which remains at (1 to 2 bottles of wine a day).
    Had terrible cravings yesterday and started drinking at 10am, really ashamed of myself.
    Bit of background ....I am a middle aged British male, who works from home and now lives alone, so there are no social restrictions on my intake.
    Really scared this won't work, as this is a last resort. Tried AA and even had a brief spell in a very expensive rehab....Nothing seemed effective.
    Getting desperate now.

Been on Naltrox for a few weeks...

I, too, work from home and it is a challenge. To know that you can "get away" with drinking anytime, 24 hours a day.

If you're like me, it's all about avoiding that first drink. Bear in mind here that I'm on Day 2, and very recently would wake up and be drinking straight vodka, from the bottle, at 8AM. Once I've had that first drink, a mere taste, I'm gone. Literally. I go away and the addiction runs my life for the rest of the day. I relinquish control of my life the minute I start drinking.

If it's in the house, I'm a goner. It's only a matter of time. I need to put more steps in between me, here and now, and me drinking.

Remember that this forum is here to help, and when you feel yourself about to give in, just post here. Something simple, and to that effect. We all understand how you feel, to a maddeningly familiar degree.

And those of us who are doing well on any given day can hopefully help remind you that there are so many reasons to not do the one thing your brain is screaming at you to do, and that if you are able to navigate these seemingly impossible waters, it gets easier.

I'm on Day 2. I put a year together a couple years ago. So I know, firsthand, both how difficult it is this early on and how much easier it gets over time. And having made the critical mistake of thinking I had "beat" my addiction once, and having lost 2.5 years hence, I won't be fooled again.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
    X