Day 2: Who's The Boss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I view my sobriety, young as it is, through the lens of my first attempt at long term abstinence, which lasted one year.

I remember these earliest days off the bottle so well: alcohol just dominates my headspace. The addiction that has determined my actions for so long is used to simply and quietly saying "It's time to drink. Now." And off I'd run, and away I'd go. I'd buy, and as soon as I'd had one beer, the curtain was drawn. I was no longer in control, at all. And I'd almost always drink until I blacked out/passed out.

So today, on Day 2, I can feel my addiction prodding my brain with a little stick. "Hey. It's time. Get going. Go buy." Several times a minutes.

It does me a great deal of good to know that this fades, and relatively quickly, but at first it's rough. I remember when I had several months of sobriety under my belt last time I would walk by the alcohol aisle at the supermarket and feel like it just didn't have anything to do with me; similar, oddly, to the feeling I'd get when I walked down the feminine hygiene aisle. "I know these products are of utility to some people, but they have nothing to do with me." And on I'd walk, free and clear.

I'm far from that now. The addiction is strong and has been in charge for two and a half years. It's not used to hearing "No." Ever.

But as the days pass, I know, understand in my bones, that I will form new habits and see my cravings for what they are: cravings, not commands. Impulses than can, and will, be ignored/navigated without any action being taken.

I also remember, with great astonishment, the first time I realized a full day (and then a couple days) had passed and I hadn't thought about drinking one single time. It was shocking.

I post this to remind myself of how good life is when you stop drinking for a longer period of time, and how a large part of the battle is fought when you are weakest, during that very first week. When you're still anxious and miserable and decidedly imbalanced, mentally and physically.

But the eventual upside, oh, the upside...all that is good in life, clear and vivid and in full color. And me, the healthy and sane version, unafraid to participate in it.

I'm the boss. I am in charge of my life. Not my addiction.

Good for you Dude

Come back & read your post often!
    Life is good without AL

Good job on 2 AF days - keep going

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Wow! I'm on day three and it's a son of a bitch! ( Don't know where the foul mouth is coming from!) Anyway, something about your post just grabbed me. I think it was as the matter of fact way that you said it gets easier. Holy cow I hope so.

And also that AL dominates your headspace. Yes, that's where I am I'm ready to move on!

I've never stopped drinking for very long at all, although I'm definitely doing a lot better. Somehow I've got to put a good stretch in to see what it feels like to not drink at all. To weather those craving storms and come out the other side.
      ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
      -----------------------------------
      Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Its 1.37pm on day two for me. I feel great, went for a 10k run then 10k walk home this morning - all good.

Comment

Awesome post...thank you! You are right....we are the bosses of our lives, not our addiction. Congrats on Day 2 - keep on going!

Comment

I remember when I gave up smoking - I found that for MONTHS I thought about having a cigarette. Day in day out - sometimes all day! Now I dont even think of cigarettes.5 years on I am so thankful that I kicked the addiction to go onto becoming a marathon runner. It changed my life along with losing 35kgs (around 75 pound). I KNOW beyond a doubt that becoming AF will not only improve my performance when it comes to running but also my mindset to handle things without needing alcohol to "relax". There will be days when alcohol consumes your mind but as you let the addiciton slip away the thoughts surrounding booze will also slip away until one day it just wont be something we think about.

Comment

Great POst Dude! I am on day three as well and plan reread this all day long!!!!! Good Luck!!
              "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

Thanks! It blows me away how what becomes so clear and so obvious several months down the road seems utterly incomprehensible now: that you can live a full and enjoyable life and not have alcohol even occur to you most days.

Of course, when alcohol IS your life, how could that make any sense?

And this, for me, was the faith part: having faith that this will actually happen if I do what I have to do to remain AF now. It did happen for me once, and I know it will happen again.

It was only my hubris that tripped me up the first time around. Won't be fooled again.

Keep us all apprised of your progress; great to know we're in this, to the day, together!

Comment

Working...
                X