ALCOHOL detox at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALCOHOL detox at home

Hi all. First time here, first time detox and need some advice asap. I've been drinking wine, a bottle or 1 1/2 a day for 5-6 years. I'm also on meds for depression. Well I need to stop drinking so these can get the old me back.. Question is I'm approved to go to a residental treatment center, but they don't do detox, and the hospital they reccomend I think is overkill. So
    I'm thinking about detoxing at home. My husband is a M.D. , so he could get the meds I need. Think that's a good or bad idea? What meds do I need if I do it? I'm a nurse but Im clueless here, and scared to death. PLEASE can someone give me some advice. My husband has no opinion!
    thanks so much
    Red Leigh

ALCOHOL detox at home

I think they detox with benzos at the rehab places. (Valium, xanax, etc) Just be careful about how much you take as my experience with them is that are highly addictive even if taken exactly as prescribed. And you should not drink on them so if you are thinking of tapering and taking them be very careful. On another note though I had high anxiety after quitting daily drinking when I was drinking the most I was doing a bottle of wine for a couple of yerars at leastand night and just quit cold turkey-- okay for some not for others. Felt irritable but no seizures or anyhting like that. Good luck!

Comment

ALCOHOL detox at home

:welcome: Red,

I've done a few home detoxes using diazapam. It was done over a 7 day period starting with a high dose of diazepam on the first two days and gradually tapering off over the week to nothing.

First two days I was utterly wiped out and did nothing but sleep but gradually over the week came back into the land of the living.

Sorry that I can't give the exact dosage as it obviously has to be prescribed differently for each individual's needs. The doctors in the UK also use librium for home detoxes.

Hope this helps, and let us know how you get on.

J x
      :l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

ALCOHOL detox at home

Hi Red leigh and welcome to mwo,You will find this a great community with lots of good advice and support,now i found this in my files :-)

Once the start date for your home detoxification has been set then you will need to take diet into consideration. Fresh fruit should be easily to hand. Supplements like Centrum, Supradyn Forte and salmon oil tablets should also be purchased prior to starting your alcohol detox at home.

Next you need to let someone in your family and/or a close friend, know that this is your decision. That way you will have the beginnings of a support system and at the same time deter family or friends who drink from bringing alcohol to your home or drinking it (or indeed smelling of it) while around you.

The best scenario would be to have someone who would not mind staying with you for a short time. This could help strengthen your resolve as well as have a safety net should you be one of the few who needs additional medical attention.

Please remember this. The withdrawing alcoholic needs to be reminded of why he or she is doing this during the detoxification process. Encouragement and reinforcement that they are doing the right thing is very important. There is a much brighter future for them and they are now that much closer to attaining it.

After going through this alcohol detox at home, you will now need to structure your life around new habits. Avoid situations that used to be a part of your drinking lifestyle, like a favorite restaurant that serves alcohol or a friend who is a heavy drinker. The detox itself was an important first step but it is by far not the only one on this journey.

As days become weeks and weeks become months you will become stronger in your resolve not to slip back. You’re not going to have to go without your favorite restaurant etc forever, just for a while until you are stronger.
        Goodluck.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

ALCOHOL detox at home

Thank You all so very much. Really a lot of good info, and encouregment.

Comment

ALCOHOL detox at home

Is your husband supportive?
            Check out the MWO book and the info of the medication site. Rather than detoxing as such, you may be able to go on something like Baclofen or Topomax which has worked for lots of people. Lots of people have quit cold turkey after drinking that amount with no ill effects, for at least 30 days before deciding where to go from there.

Comment

ALCOHOL detox at home

This Detoxification is one of the best solution measures for various diseases. My friend has been smoking heavily for almost two years, pretty much every day, I am in search for the best detox for the solution of the problem. Could any one please suggest some best treatments and measures regarding the solution for my friend;s problem. Please produce some attachments regarding my requirements.
              non 12-Step
              alcohol detox

Comment

ALCOHOL detox at home

HI there, I successfully did a 10% reduction technique to reduce my wine consumption from 1.5-2 bottles nearly every day to nothing over 2 weeks, whilst I did have a relapse over the weekend (drank 2.5 bottles over two nights) I managed after the 2 weeks to have 6 days without a drink without any side effects and was AF again yesterday and plan to be today (one day at a time). I felt great yesterday and today and still no withdrawals so I feel my de-tox was a success. My personal opinion is that I didn't want to take any drugs or supplements whilst detoxing, the only things I did were a multi vitamin each day and lots of healthy food and loads and loads of fresh fruit juices, fruit teas, de-caff hot drinks and fizzy water.

Oh and early nights - sleep is a great cure-all!

I hope you can get sorted
                Taking it ODAT

Comment

ALCOHOL detox at home

RedLeigh - I was drinking more and for a lot longer, and I managed to stop without withdrawals - I just felt hungover, tired and shaky but nothing worse than the day after drinking. I think everyone is diffferent, but you maybe ok - just drink lots of fluid and get lots of rest - I drank water with lemon juice, and took MWO supplements.
                  The worst part was the begging in my head of the voice telling me to drink!!
                  “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

ALCOHOL detox at home

Hi and welcome, I drank 1/2 bottle of whiskey every day for nearly ten years. I did have a few breaks here and there. This year I was thinking of tapering off for a while and finally in July I bit the bullet and did it.

First of all, you will find you cannot sleep so my doctor prescribed some vallium.. even with that it was hard but not impossible.

Don't sleep in the afternoon

Big and early dinner

1st day 2 x vallium - 1.5 hrs in bed trying to sleep
                    2nd day 2 x vallium - 1 hr to sleep
                    3rd day 1 x vallium - 45 mins to sleep
                    4th day 1 x vallium - 30 mins to sleep

From that day I have not taken a vallium.. my trick is I have a early dinner every single day, almost as soon as I get home, this is specially important in the early stages.. Now I can wait a bit or even have a light dinner.. I don't even think of it anymore.

Every time I felt like having a drink, I thought of the morning and how good I felt without any drinking the previous night.. That kept me going, I also have a dog who I have to walk everyday straight after work.

Good luck.

Comment

ALCOHOL detox at home

JackieClaire;1154658 wrote: :welcome: Red,

I've done a few home detoxes using diazapam. It was done over a 7 day period starting with a high dose of diazepam on the first two days and gradually tapering off over the week to nothing.

First two days I was utterly wiped out and did nothing but sleep but gradually over the week came back into the land of the living.

Sorry that I can't give the exact dosage as it obviously has to be prescribed differently for each individual's needs. The doctors in the UK also use librium for home detoxes.

Hope this helps, and let us know how you get on.

J x
                      :l

Welcome Red :welcome:

Years a go, this is how I did it 3 times. Tho my Dr. Rxd the Diazapam for 9 days. Think JC is right & that ea person may need diff mg. Later in time, as I changed my drinking from hard spirits to mainly beer & wine, I tapered down & withdrew, using them. Did this a few times & my last quit.

mario;1154660 wrote:
                      Hi Red leigh and welcome to mwo,You will find this a great community with lots of good advice and support,now i found this in my files :-)

Once the start date for your home detoxification has been set then you will need to take diet into consideration. Fresh fruit should be easily to hand. Supplements like Centrum, Supradyn Forte and salmon oil tablets should also be purchased prior to starting your alcohol detox at home.

Next you need to let someone in your family and/or a close friend, know that this is your decision. That way you will have the beginnings of a support system and at the same time deter family or friends who drink from bringing alcohol to your home or drinking it (or indeed smelling of it) while around you.

The best scenario would be to have someone who would not mind staying with you for a short time. This could help strengthen your resolve as well as have a safety net should you be one of the few who needs additional medical attention.

Please remember this. The withdrawing alcoholic needs to be reminded of why he or she is doing this during the detoxification process. Encouragement and reinforcement that they are doing the right thing is very important. There is a much brighter future for them and they are now that much closer to attaining it.

After going through this alcohol detox at home, you will now need to structure your life around new habits. Avoid situations that used to be a part of your drinking lifestyle, like a favorite restaurant that serves alcohol or a friend who is a heavy drinker. The detox itself was an important first step but it is by far not the only one on this journey.

As days become weeks and weeks become months you will become stronger in your resolve not to slip back. You?re not going to have to go without your favorite restaurant etc forever, just for a while until you are stronger.
                      Goodluck.
                      Excellent advice!....May I add, that if you have trouble with bloating, adding fresh squeezed lemon to your water, will usually help. It also may help with detoxing.

Red,

Hope your starting to feel better! There's lots of tools, wisdom, support, & caring people here. Let folks know if you need anything.

Take Care :h

Comment

ALCOHOL detox at home

The detoxification is one of the suggestible measures. I would like to share about my views regarding my husband, One husband was legally, emotionally and physically in shambles at one point of time. By doing drugs he had lost control of his and my life too and everything in it, ruining relationships and hurting all of the people that he cares the most. I then find a solution for that and forced him to take the program for a local detox center. After the program, he is confronting any problem or situation that encountered to communicate with others and handle them when any of us are having difficulties, and had regained control on life and everything in it. He is more confident on himself and his abilities that he ever have been.
                        non 12 step program
                        los angeles rehab

Comment

Working...
                        X