Determined this time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determined this time

This is my fifth AF day. I am a wine drinker, like many of you. I?ve been drinking since I was 18. I used to drink hard liquor but I had violent hangovers involving lots of retching and incapacitating headaches. The entire next day would be wasted. I gave up hard liquor and moved to wine.

Didn?t drink when pregnant with my kids, but picked it up again afterwards. I didn?t have a real problem controlling it until several years ago and even then I only drank a couple of times a week. I gave it up for good in April of 2006 and stayed clean until August of that year when I had one glass of wine at dinner.

I still drank only very occasionally after that until slowly getting back into the habit when my closest friend was diagnosed with cancer. Slowly but surely, my drinking ramped up to the point where some weeks I had a 1.5 L bottle of wine every night. I was fuzzy the next day, but could still function at a reasonable level so it was easy to fool myself that I didn?t really have a problem, which is ironic, considering I grew up with a father who was very involved in AA, so if anyone knows how to spot a problem it should be me.

Anyway, I have gone for a week or two without drinking in the recent past, so I am determined to make it this time. I am reading lots of posts here and on another site I have found that resonates with my approach. I have a plan, I have my husband?s support and I know that when I am ready to tell others ?I don?t drink anymore? they will also be supportive.

I already feel stronger, more clear-headed, I?m sleeping better, and my outlook toward life has improved. Well, thanks for listening. I am hopeful that the support on here will help me remember that I can?t go back to drinking because like many of you, once I start I can?t stop.
    Good habits breed good habits; bad habits breed bad habits.

Determined this time

Welcome DTT, you sound strong and in the right place to kick the habit! Wine is a demon for lots of us ladies, have a look at the focus on fitness forum, 20 days no junk lots of exercise plus Pinksters AF august, we are all ladies kicking the wine habit but exercise being the key to our sobriety, not sure if exercise is part of your plan but if so feel free to join us, either way good luck and JUST DO IT xx
    Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Determined this time

Hello & welcome tonstantweader!

Glad you decided to join us & congrats on your 5 AF days!
      Have you read the MWO book yet? You can download it from the Health Store right here on the website. It has a lot of good info on the recommended supplements, Hypno CDs, healthy eating & light exercise.

Please feel free to drop in the Newbies Nest, say hello there too

Wishing you the best!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Determined this time

Wise decision you made, you have already seen some of the positive effects of getting rid of the beast know to us as AL.

Keep it up, stay stong, come in here often, it helped me through some rough "surfing urges"

:goodjob:
        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Determined this time

Thanks. I'm not usually much of an internet forum participant, but I think it is important to have support now. The irony about exercise is that two years ago I was running 3 miles a day on the treadmill, had lost 80 pounds, and was in a great place. I've let all that go just to drink. Ridiculous! So I am back to walking and will slowly work back up to running! Thanks also for the tip about the exercise forum. I will mosey on over there.

Comment

Determined this time

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't downloaded the book yet but will if I feel I need more help. I ahve actually been a pretty healthy eater even through the drinking. I think my hardest part will be after a couple of weeks when I think I can handle "just one glass of wine." Which of course becomes two, then three, then.............

Comment

Determined this time

Nelz;1159457 wrote: Wise decision you made, you have already seen some of the positive effects of getting rid of the beast know to us as AL.

Keep it up, stay stong, come in here often, it helped me through some rough "surfing urges"

:goodjob:
              Still getting the hang of forum posting, so bear with me. It's not that I'm an Internet newbie, just kind of a private person so internet forums haven't held much fascination for me. Anyway, thanks for the encouragment. I really feel good this time.

Comment

Working...
              X