21 days and counting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21 days and counting

21 days today. haven't felt a craving in a long time. just went through one of the most hellish 24 hours of my life, 24 hours in jail as part of my dwi sentence. moving on with life. the thought of drinking, and what it has brought me makes me feel sick. never again will i do something that stupid.

21 days and counting

Congratulations on 21 days sober. Someone mentioned on here several weeks ago that some of us come to sobriety after a particularly event makes us realize how bad our drinking truly is. That was the case for me and I'm guessing it is for you too. Like a light switch, my desire to drink was gone, which makes me realize the power of the mind. It wasn't really a physical addiction with me, but psychological. Now it's been over a month and I'll occasionally get a craving, and I think it's because the passage of time starts to make things fuzzy. But I'm glad that I documented my shame and my depression and self-loathing because when a craving comes it helps to go back and read and remember.

I'm glad that you're here and you're sober and that you're moving forward with your life. You cannot change what has happened, but you can learn from it. And you can help others learn too.

Comment

21 days and counting

Congrats on making it this far. And thank you for sharing your story of dwi and time in jail. It's a reality check for so many that won't think it could happen to them.
      ?A year from now you will wish you had started today.? Karen Lamb

Comment

21 days and counting

Yeah. It was a total reality check.
        And for some reason, something that made me feel like I finally just grew up. I was acting so irresponsibly.
        I only had to spend 24 hours in jail, although I spent the night there the night I got the dwi because I had nobody to come and pick me up...
        Seriously, if anyone else is reading this, and is thinking of doing something as stupid as what I did, please learn from my mistake. I literally ran out to get gas in my car, and got into an accident. I didn't have much alcohol in my system, but it was enough to count. And I am going to be dealing with it for years to come. When this is all said and done, I won't have had my drivers license for 15 months.
        My car was totaled in the accident, so I don't even have a car. And I can't afford one. My partner and I were planning on buying a house, and that is a distant dream now. I am not writing this to make anyone feel sorry for me.
        Just, if you have been drinking, AT ALL, stay home. Do not drive. I am lucky I wasn't hurt worse than I was, and that I didn't hurt anyone else, just property.
        Just working on getting through this now, and getting on with life.

Comment

21 days and counting

We all think it won't happen to us. I shudder to think of the number of times I could have been stopped or arrested for driving under the influence. And for no good reason.

Comment

21 days and counting

Abielle, thank you for this post. There probably isn't a person on this website who couldn't have had the exact same thing happen to them. In the long run, maybe it will be a really "cheap" wakeup call and make your life better.

Comment

Working...
            X