Made 18 days AF, starting over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone; made it 18 days, until yesterday, and then let my guard down. Drank. No excuses. Wife's family is in town, driving me predictably nutty, and at one point I found myself briefly alone in my in-laws house (which is full of liquor). And in that moment, all sense and reason and best intentions went straight out the window.

No ramifications, I didn't drink much, but I can't pretend that that makes it okay. If I let myself think "Well, you drank and nothing happened" that's as much as giving myself license to drink again. And again, until something awful does happen.

I know it gets easier, but in the interim, I need to be constantly vigilant against opportunities to drink. What this weekend proved is that I can't be alone in a house full of liquor. The "You can get away with it" feeling is still too strong for me to combat via willpower alone. The simple solution is to make sure I'm not alone where there is AL, and that's easy enough to do.

Not going to get down on myself, simply going to pick back up where I left off.

Another Day 1 AF, which beats the hell out of Day 2 drinking.

Sounds as if you have the right attitude about a slip-up. I've only been AF for about 12 days, so 18 sounds like a huge accomplishment to me, and I think that's what you have to consider. You spent 18 days without alcohol, giving your body a chance to recover and yourself the knowledge that you can go that long. I admire you for coming on here and admitting it. It's another reminder to me how easy it is to give in to those cravings.

Think I'll go take some more L-glut!
    Good habits breed good habits; bad habits breed bad habits.

Comment

Glad you see this as a lesson learned!
      You are acutely aware of your trigger now you have to figure out how to handle a similar situation in the future ~ and you will

Also glad it was a one day event - good for you coming right back

Take care!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Well done dude :-), Just jump back in here and start again, good positive attitude you have well done.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

18 days is great!
          You gave your body and soul 18 days of healing. Now give them 18 more, and then another....!

Comment

I admire your attitude. We might all want to consider your way of thinking, and not wear the sackcloth and ashes when we stumble.
            "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

To reiterate ~ 18 is great!! I was explaining to someone close to me today that I almost drank last night. The reply I got of "the world won't come to an end" surprised me. I think we sometimes think we have to be too Perfect. I like your attitude also and will remember it in case I need it. You did a great job realizing so quickly that you need or want to be AF. Maybe perfectionism is a trigger for me that I must deal with. No excuses though b/c alcohol really is an evil spirit for me. When I look at a bottle of AL I should see in double :devil::devil:

Comment

TheDudeAbides;1162983 wrote:
                Another Day 1 AF, which beats the hell out of Day 2 drinking.
                Dude, I love it ... I too drank in my in-law's house in hiding. Why? Search me, they are lovely people and never put any pressure on me. I .. put pressure on myself!!!

On a lighter note, I know you only have a baby so you may be a "bit" behind with animation movies (BTW, enjoy it while it lasts) - BUT - see "Shrek forever and after "- just watch the first 15 min - the moment when Shrek loses it over "family / baby bliss" is priceless. For a guy with anger issues you might get a kick out of it.
                workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Glad to see you back!

Comment

Dude - Glad you're back and boy do I understand the "I can get away with it" because me being in the house alone is a MAJOR trigger for me! Best of luck....happy you are posting again!

Comment

Dude, your attitude's an inspiration but man, 18 days is huge!! Now you can start from scratch and keep at it. Keep the positive approach up, it's great to read and makes sense of this madness.

Comment

Dude; Ditto the kudos on 18 days!!! As Take2 said, that was 18 days of healing! Are you using the CD'S? I think those have been huge, and highly endorse daily usage and the playing of "Sleep" all night long. Don't forget to stop in The Nest!
                        -Cap'n G

Comment

Working...
                        X