making progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making progress

4 days AF -- tonight was tough, as I visited a friend who has a huge wine cellar. Resisted her two offers for a glass of wine. Now working toward a full week.
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

making progress

Congrats on your progress Free!!!

If you find it difficult in these early days to hang out with drinkers, consider not doing it. I needed quite a bit of time away from AL and away from drinkers before I was sure I could be around all that without caving. I have to keep my sobriety #1 in order to stay AF. Just throwin' that out there in case it helps. Don't feel like you are alone if it feels difficult to be around drinking right now.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

making progress

that is huge to resist!!! way to go! seriously you should be very proud...keep downing the kudzu and l-glut. it really helps
      I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
      sober since 2/4/12

Comment

making progress

Hi Star!

4 days AF is no small victory! Congrats! I think the hardest part is being around someone who thinks you still drink. It's a a awkward situation. I still have people I haven't told I quit drinking. Somewhere in me ... I think I'm giving myself a safety net if I decided to drink (WHICH I BETTER N-E-V-E-R DO!!). Or I'm ashamed to be so weak that I can't control my drinking. It's all a messed up part of this addiction.

Good luck to your AF days - and may we all become more confident in telling people I don't drink .... because It's KILLING me!!

Best to you star!
        Put your hands over your heart - and tell yourself that you are going to guard this essence of who you are with everything. Alcohol opens us up to darkness and depression instantly. You choose love today. Guard it by keeping the poison out of your body. It IS poison.

NF - May 2, 2013 (cig free Jan. 25, 2013)
        AF - July 31, 2013
        :lordhelpme:

Comment

making progress

Thanks, all. My job requires approximately 2 cocktail parties/dinners per week so it is hard to be away from people consuming alcohol. But, resisted the temptation again tonight (another evening gig) and am now only 2 days away from one week AF. Gearing up to make it through Friday evening reception. Appreciate your support
          Free at Last

Comment

making progress

Hello Free,

Good luck with your challenges! It sounds like you are exposed to AL a lot which can be very difficult! Someone here once posted this link which helped me a lot. I figured if this guy in a band at bars every night could quit then just about any temptation can be overcome if you really put your mind to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvLkxCq_I8Q[/video]]How I quit drinking and smoking. - YouTube

Comment

making progress

this video was so helpfu. Thank you! Have a dinner engagement and now I am hoping I can stick to seltzer water. Trying every day to overcome this.
              Free at Last

Comment

making progress

Well done so far free at last,

Have you checked out the tool box in the monthly absence thread, its a good and valuable read.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                X