Progress With the Program So Far - 1 month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the supplements, book and CDs about a month ago. I had already made lots of great changes in my life over the prior few months and knew the nightly wine was my last hurdle. My story is like thousands here, never drank in my twenties, thirties, except on special occasions, and then 10 years ago the phase of chic wine drinking began which slowly evolved into a daily 1 bottle habit. My diet is excellent and I was working out every day. As soon as I began with the CDs I was able to have AF days. My challenge has been to stick with the CDs. Firstly, my husband cannot stand the sound of the night time CD (it does sound a bit like you left the tap running; wished they'd used the ocean sound), so I have to listen to it with my iPod! Sometimes I forget to turn it off (you run that one on continuous loop all night) and then the iPod is dead and I don't discover it until that darn next day 1/2 hour window I had carved out to do the daily CD.

So I'll have maybe 2 - 3 AF days, then BAM, I'll have a day where I drink a bottle of wine, or I drink over the weekend like I normally do. But basically I have been doing better. I just added in Topamax on Thursday and it's been a nightmare for me. I went back to school for Court Reporting right when I started this and Friday I could not focus AT ALL! My fingers and brain were not connected. Saturday I was one mean gal and since Sunday I have been one big cry baby. I skipped school today and forced myself to reassess. I had dropped some key "healthy" steps from my routine 1) morning journaling, 2) morning meditation, 3) morning exercise. So I am recommitting to the FULL program MINUS the Topamax, plus my personal routine (I have battled chronic depression but am med free and depression free thanks to a very good diet and aforementioned good habits). I strongly recommend to people considering this program that they do not skip on the EXERCISE, DIET, SUPPLEMENTS AND CDS. At the minimum these will really help. I believe I can get AF with this program minus Topa if I am diligent.

Starting everything before I introduced the Topamax also helped me assess how the supplements were affecting me. For me, the GABA is way too potent; I cannot take it. It makes me incredibly fuzzy brained. But everything else seems to be fine. I don't do the Vitamin Powder, because I have a very good multi-vitamin I take. Before I started the program I cut out coffee for two months, drastically reduced beef, white flour and whole wheat, switching to whole grain. No soy, I found a fantastic grain-based raw food protein powder I use. I get berries every day, do flax oil, tons of water, you get the picture.

Good luck to all. The nights I go to bed with no alcohol in me are so blissful. I have so much joy and happiness, laying there in the dark feeling calm and peaceful. I'm trying to carry that new memory with me now to motivate me moving forward. If I feel I need to, I will go back on the Topa at the end of the semester, when I will have a 6-7 week break to work with it. For those of you whom it is just not practical to be on Topa right now, I strongly encourage you to embrace the other aspects of the program with full gusto. It can help.:new:

Wonderful.... you sound like you have your plan all together! I've never tried Topa but I've heard many people complain about the fog.

Much strength and determination to you.. you're on your way
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

anchorite;1179697 wrote:

Good luck to all. The nights I go to bed with no alcohol in me are so blissful. I have so much joy and happiness, laying there in the dark feeling calm and peaceful. I'm trying to carry that new memory with me now to motivate me moving forward. If I feel I need to, I will go back on the Topa at the end of the semester, when I will have a 6-7 week break to work with it. For those of you whom it is just not practical to be on Topa right now, I strongly encourage you to embrace the other aspects of the program with full gusto. It can help.:new:
      I love that .... "laying there in the drk feeling calm and peaceful". THAT'S exactly how I feel! I am just short of 8 weeks AF ... and just starting to embrace that nightly feeling!

I tried topa 3 years ago ... it just about put me in the funny farm. I HATED IT. I would rather die of alcoholism than be on it. I am not joking when I say that. I respect those that it works for ... but it did nothing but make me feel like I was having a MAJOR breakdown. I personally believe it is dangerous .... but that's just me.

Good luck to you. You sound like you really have a good plan in place. Tell me more about the grain based protein powder. Thanks!!!
      Put your hands over your heart - and tell yourself that you are going to guard this essence of who you are with everything. Alcohol opens us up to darkness and depression instantly. You choose love today. Guard it by keeping the poison out of your body. It IS poison.

NF - May 2, 2013 (cig free Jan. 25, 2013)
      AF - July 31, 2013
      :lordhelpme:

Comment

Hi Anchorite...

You sound very in tune with yourself. While so many of us share the same problems with AL...the solutions are far from 'one size fits all'.

I never did topo or any of the other meds. I haven't ordered the CDs...but I have gotten a lot of support here and have done quite a bit of reading about AL.

I do quite a few supplements...after being a daily drinker for much of the past 5 plus years...I am in need of a lot of biochemical repair and it's working.

I'm coming up on Day 60.....that's 60 productive days and restful nights! You're heading on the right path!
        Sober for the Revolution!
        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Hi and welcome Anchorite to mwo you seem to be going well, its good to use the tools here as they certainly all help,also check out the tool box in the monthly abstinence thread great reading in there ,good luck and hope to see you around the boards.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I have to thank my son for that one. He works at Whole Foods and I probably wouldn't have ever discovered it otherwise because there is not one close to me. It is Garden of Life brand Raw Protein. They have a Raw Meal replacement formula also which I have not tried. If you are in Nor Cal (one never knows) there is a $5 off coupon in their sep/oct coupon book good until 11/30 on both skus. I think the protein may still be on sale. The only caveat, let's face it, it is raw, so you'll need to add enough fruit. And don't let it sit LOL! I did that once and it was not fun. As for the Topa, I am with you on those feelings. I was absolutely sickened and terrified to be havings feelings which I've worked so hard for so long to not have. No way was I going to undermine that. Thanks for the support!

Comment

Turnagain;1179786 wrote: Hi Anchorite...

I'm coming up on Day 60.....that's 60 productive days and restful nights! You're heading on the right path!
              Thank you! 60 days would be amazing!

Comment

mario;1179801 wrote: its good to use the tools here as they certainly all help,also check out the tool box in the monthly abstinence thread great reading in there ,
                Thank you, and speaking of tools, I was looking for discussions/info on the CDs? I'm think the night CD might be making me a little fuzzy in the morning, and I'm also curious to hear if other people have done their own hypnosis like he says you can do at the end of the first or second hypnosis CD (not sure which). Any feedback/guidance would be helpful! thanks again!

Comment

sunshine_gg;1179705 wrote:
                  Much strength and determination to you.. you're on your way
                  Thank you. There have been lots of bumps, but hopefully not too many more!

Comment

Working...
                  X