Gratitude...Acceptance....Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to thank all of you for sharing your experiences and for offering encouragement to me and so many others who have come here broken and with little hope.

Because of what I have learned here and because of your support....it has now been 60 days since I've had any alcohol....or nicotine.

As many of you know this is not my first stretch of AF months. BUT...there is a major difference this time.

For the first time, I have accepted that I cannot moderate. I tried and failed countless times. My body doesn't work that way.

So....I am a non-drinker now. That's the way it is. And you know what? That's more than fine!

I no longer think in terms of what I 'gave up.' I think in terms of what I'm getting. My body is healing. My brain chemistry and circuitry is on the mend. The depression has lifted. The anxiety has dissolved. My self respect has returned. My relationships have improved. I have energy and enthusiasm. I can think clearly. I can sleep through the night. The night and day sweats have dried up. I am productive again. I ENJOY life again. AND....lordy, lordy, this girl has a bunch of money piling up in the bank that would've otherwise gone up in smoke and down my throat. My $22 a day habit added up to more than $8000 a year! And when you figure I was doing this for the last 5 plus years? Wow...I can't believe I wasted $40,000! One thing's for sure...I'm not going to waste another $40K!

I also refuse to waste another moment of my life by being altered. Each day is too precious. I have been to hell and know I NEVER want to be there again. I know what it is to really live again....and I know how to keep thriving.

To those of you who are struggling....here's the reality: there is no magic bullet...or supplement....or mantra....or method. Information is power, of course, and we need every tool we can find and all the support we can get. BUT...when it comes down to it... IF you are one of those whose body does not process alcohol 'normally'...there is one solution: You cannot drink. Alcohol is toxic and addictive for us. IF this thought scares you....imagine your life if you continue to take in the poison. Is this what you want for yourself...your family....your future?

Are you willing to trade your life for a drink?

I hope you will choose to trade the drink for your life.

It's amazing on the other side....
    Sober for the Revolution!
    AF & NF July 23, 2011

Great advice

I have come to the realization that I can not moderate myself. I hope that like you, my depression will go away as my body detoxifies itself. Thanks for the reminder and for the hope that things will get better. Oh and I love the jack'o,lantern!
    :thanks:G

Comment

CONGRATS to you Turnagain on your 60 days AF!!!!

It really does make all the difference
      Double congrats on quitting smoking at the same time too - that was the hardest for me!

I'm very happy for you & wish you continued success - you rock!!!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Turnagain, thank you for the update - such an inspiring post. I am really happy for you. I have been reading a lot over the last couple of days and it is as if it was meant to be, just what I've needed to hear; your posts and others do so much to help those of us struggling through the early days.....
        Thank you again and keep in touch.:thanks::l

Just a little edit! Did you use any supplements or CDs, nicotine patches or anything to help you along? Just wondering........
        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Well done turn. You should be so proud, what an achievement! Keep up the good work! xxoo
          HOUR BY HOUR, DAY BY DAY

Comment

Thank you, Turnagain.

A very inspiring post... congrats on your new found freedom!
            Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Thanks for the great post Turnagain!

Very inspiring and great to hear you're doing so well and are so committed!

Comment

Supplements have been essential in helping me correct the biochemical damage that drinking did to the system! I've been weaning myself off the megadoses and am now taking a really high-quality multi-vitamin along with a liquid Vit B complex and an amino complex combo.

I tried nicotine patches before (WILD dreams - OMG!) I also tried gum. Got addicted to that! So this time I went cold turkey on the smokes. Also quit caffeine. Had to. After years of abuse...all those substances affected my body negatively AND were part of a chain of co-dependent destruction.

I drank coffee to get energy after waking up hungover after drinking mass quanities the night before. The coffee triggered the desire to smoke. Smoking triggered the craving to drink. By 5 pm...I'd be at it again. Sometimes earlier. And always earlier on weekends.

I'm thrilled to have all those damn monkeys off my back. They weighed a lot! And one was just so stinky!

I'm now 10 pounds lighter and look 10 years younger....

While chatting the other night with some folks here...a phrase popped into my head:

Detox trumps Botox!

I'm celebrating 60 days by giving myself a mud mask. Oh - and doing my taxes - from last year! Had to file for an extension last time around...and this last deadline is coming up! Guarantee I'll have the next filing ready before April 15th next year.
                Sober for the Revolution!
                AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Thanks for that Turnagain; time to shake these monkeys off my back too!!!!! Haha:l
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Turn....congrats..simply inspirational...!!!!

Comment

:yougo::yougo:CONGRATULATIONS TURN ON 60 DAYS AF!!!:yougo::yougo:

fABulous! And for quitting the smokes too!!

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Turn - What an awesome post! Congratulations and thanks for the reminder of what life is like on the other side....you rock!

Comment

Thank you for the inspirational and motivational post. It truly does help someone like me who is on day 1 for the 80th (and last) time see there is hope!

CONGRATS on 60 days AF TOO!!!
                          AF 9/28/11

Comment

Turnagain,

You seem to have it together, and are an inspiration. Thanks for the post. And, congratutions on not only getting the monkeys off your back, but destroying them.

Your post, and the pm's I've gotten tonight, have given me hope that all is not lost. Maybe those of us who are struggling right now will be okay afterall. Yay! Tonight's an AF one, and tomorrow's another day and another chance.
                            "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Turnagain,

Congratulations and well done on your 60 days!!! I love your attitude of gratitude! I agree that when I made the decision moderating was not an option (and hadn't been for a looong time) it made a big difference. Being AF has been a struggle, but so many negatives are gone from my life now that the poison is no longer there.
                              AF 4/18/11

If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep walking. Buddhist Saying

Comment

Working...
                              X