Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling to sobriety

Hi all

I'm a 20 year alcholic struggling to become free of this addiction. I have attended AA meetings and struggled with their philosphy, however, being an aethiest cannot subscribe to a higher power and being powerless. I believe it is up to me and within me to overcome this addiction. I have lost a mother, brother and aunt to this awful disease so I should annd do know better. I have not had a "dry" day in those 20 years. The past few months I have moderated my drinking so that there have been no blackouts and I am able to work productively, however, I know as long as I drink, I will sprial downward to a point I cannot work. I have also subscribed to Women for Sobriety, another site which helps addicted women through empowerment, not submission to a higher power. Don't get it wrong, I'm not knocking AA, it's just not something I can believe in. Is there anyone out there who can provide me with some guidance?
    Also, not familiar with online sites, threads, etc, so any guidance you can provide would be appreciated.:new:

Struggling to sobriety

Hi Live free,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place that helped me tremendously!
    AA is not for everyone, we all have to find our own way.

A great place to start is by downloading the MWO book from the Health store right here on the website. It has lots of info about the nutritional supplements, healthy eating, light exercise & the Hypno CDs - they were wonderful. There is also info about Rx meds if you choose to take them, I didn't but lots of people do.

Here is a link to our https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html, it's full of good ideas to help you put a plan together for yourself.
    Please feel free to drop in the Newbies Nest thread for more support. It really helped me a lot to stay connected to MWO, read & write lots of posts. We all learn from each other
    If yuo have any questtions please just ask.

Wishing you the best!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Struggling to sobriety

Hello Live, I can relate to the struggle. I also tried AA and just couldn't get with the program.

Currently I'm using the Hypno CD's for abstinence, seeing a counselor and I got a shot of vivitrol last week that's supposed to help with the cravings in some people. It seems to be helping so far, but it's early to tell.

Hang in there and just keep trying different things until something works - this is a great website for ideas and information! There are lots of people here who have gained their sobriety and you can too!

Comment

Struggling to sobriety

Hi Live Free, the good news is that you are writing about your situation, and it seems that you have a good understanding of how things are. You need to find the solution, or "your own way out", that works for you.

It is so worth the battle to live sober. It is not easy, but it can be done.

This is a wonderful plalce to share, and learn, and get support. Read and write lots.
        Hill
        Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Struggling to sobriety

Live free :welcome:

I wasn't familiar with how to navigate around this site either when I first started but my suggestion would be to just keep reading through all these threads - I'm betting you will find more than one person here who's story is very similar to yours - that's what makes MWO so great - finding out that you are not alone in this and having friends to share what we are feeling as we try to break ourselves from this cursed addiction!

Hang in there and let us know how we can help. Are you able to get rid of all the alcohol in your house? I'm so sorry that you have lost loved ones to this terrible disease. Hope you stick around and let us get to know you better!
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Struggling to sobriety

Live Free,

You've made the first step, and posted. Just fool around with the site, read what you thing applies to you. Or, start a thread here in "Just Starting Out" and tell your story, if you wish. It will put your struggle in words, may help--like journaling--and will give the other posters insight as to possible help.

We wish you well, and don't want you to suffer. Everyone here understands to one degree or another.

Juja:welcome:
            "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Struggling to sobriety

Oops, sorry Live Free, you did start at thread here! I thought I was reading another thread!?!! See, no big deal.

Stay with us, and read, read, read.
              "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Struggling to sobriety

Live Free, you must go to the "This Book Will Change Your Life" thread where we're discussing Jason Vale's book Kick the Drink. It has made the difference in my being able to stay sober. If AA is not your thing, you will definitely benefit from his book.

Here's a link to the thread. Can't recommend the book highly enought.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ife-52399.html

Welcome - you've found a great place for ideas and support.

Comment

Struggling to sobriety

Such a good word

Struggle is exactly what this is. I am struggling to get back on track. I started controlling food intake with some success a fortnight ago but am drinking a bottle of red every night bar Friday when I had 6 pints of beer!!! Guilt hit me Saturday and I went AF. Last night I had a bottle of red. I am craving now. My worst time is 8pm until9pm. The craving takes over I go for a bottle and drink it to round the day off. It isn't a huge amount but it is daily and I can't seem to do without it. That's why I know I am an alkie and I know I need to stop. I have done so before but this time it is beating me. Keep on keeping on, we will beat this together if we help each other:h
                  Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

Working...
                  X