Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Hungover Hello

Hi everybody.

This is my first post, i've read many of yours. I'm considering the MWO program but am still undecided.

A little about me: I am a 24 year old woman, married and studying. Living in the south of France. I'm a wine drinker, about a bottle a night (last night 2.5), and i've pretty much reached breaking point. I'm sick or making an ass of myself and being miserable.

So, i've made a promise not to buy any alcohol for home. Today is day one. Wish me luck, i'm going to need it!

A Hungover Hello

Abi - a BIG welcome!! :l

First I want to congratulate you for seeing this problem for what it is at your young age. I WISH I had had your foresight. I can promise you that if you are drinking a bottle a night now - in a number of years it will be double or triple that amt. It is just a FACT - that the brain neurotransmitters adapt to the amount you are drinking, and opens receptors that want MORE to get the SAME fix.

I want to tell you that NOW is the PERFECT time to quit!! You can do it! Stay here on the site and let us know how you are doing and how we can help. It's a GREAT community. Welcome to "YOUR WAY OUT"!
    Put your hands over your heart - and tell yourself that you are going to guard this essence of who you are with everything. Alcohol opens us up to darkness and depression instantly. You choose love today. Guard it by keeping the poison out of your body. It IS poison.

NF - May 2, 2013 (cig free Jan. 25, 2013)
    AF - July 31, 2013
    :lordhelpme:

Comment

A Hungover Hello

Hey Abi.. and Kudos for recognizing the danger of daily drinking at such a young age.
      You've stumbled onto a great community here with lots of insights and wisdom. Have you checked out the Toolbox yet? Definitely a 'must read'.

Ayways.. welcome and much success to you!
      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

A Hungover Hello

Welcome Abi and I wish you every success. Please stick close to these boards for support. John
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

A Hungover Hello

Hi Abi and:welcome: to MWO. Ditto to what the others said about recognizing your problem with alcohol and wanting to do something about it now, rather than years down the road. You've got the Tool Box link and I'm sure you will find your way to the Newbie's Nest where you will find people like yourself who have recently joined MWO and others who are further along on their journey towards being AF (alcohol free) and have stayed there to offer their support and advice to newcomers like yourself. If you like, you can stop by the barracks and visit us who regularly post on the Army thread. It is a thread that is started new every day. Nothing to do with the military, just a group of people, mostly in the UK and Europe, who are fighting against alcohol. We're more in your time zone so feel free to stop by and join our ranks if you want to. Always room for more people. Best of luck in winning your battle with AL.
          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

A Hungover Hello

Good for you! At 24 I recognized my rapid trouble with AL and even checked myself into an outpatient program. It was a very good decision. I learned a lot but I wasn't fully committed because I had in the back of my mind that I could moderate if enough time went by without a drink because I was still young. Flash forward 4 years (and they went by quick) I am over 90 days sober with a different outlook with the many thanks to MWO. It's not about just quitting drinking, it's about taking charge of our lives and living it not just existing. When you follow, you will have no regrets
            "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."-- Judy Garland

Comment

A Hungover Hello

Hi Abi and welcome to MWO this is a great place with great advice,hope to see you around the boards,:-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

A Hungover Hello

Hi Abi - there's no time like the present to stop drinking alcohol - it really does nothing good for us if we are honest about it! It's simply a drug that we get addicted to over time. I recommend reading Kick the Drink by Jason Vale. It has made the difference in my being able to quit!

Welcome and wishing you the best!

Comment

A Hungover Hello

Hi Abi and welcome from me, too. I wish I had quit at age 24 or earlier, since as soon as I started drinking around age 18 I suffered from horrible hangovers. That should have been a lesson, but I just kept on drinking and eventually my body adapted to the poison, but I had to keep drinking more and more. I think it's also important to remember that many young people your age do not drink much, if at all. My daughter is almost 24 and although she is in a crowd that drinks quite a bit, she drinks very little. In fact, at parties she looks for ways to cut down on her drinking like picking up someone's empty beer can and pretending it is a new one for her. When we go out to dinner, she rarely orders a drink or beer, instead opting for a soda and decaf coffee. I say this just because it is easy to believe that everyone your age drinks a lot, but they don't. Oh, and she lived in France for nine months in high school so you would think she would be a big wine drinker!
                  Good habits breed good habits; bad habits breed bad habits.

Comment

A Hungover Hello

Hi everyone

Thank you very much for your kind messages and support. It's reassuring and inspirational to hear so many success stories.

I emailed myself and my husband a reminder of all the reasons i've decided to quit drinking. I found the process of putting them in writing quite therapeutic. Have any of you done something similar?

Today is my 2nd AF day (thanks for the abbreviation explanation stirly-girly!). Here's to the next 2.

Comment

A Hungover Hello

Hi AbiCan,

Just wanted to add my hellos and welcomes and :goodjob: on day 2 AF.

Glad you found us.

J x
                      :l
                      It could be worse, I could be filing.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                      X