Feels so different this time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am now on day 4 (although following advice I have read I am not going to keep counting) and feel so different from every other time I have quit, at Unwasteds kind suggestion via a PM I read the Jason Vale - Kick the drink easily book cover to cover in two days and I can truly say it has changed the way I think about alcohol, almost everything he writes strikes a chord with me and I feel like someone has switched a light on inside my head and I finally can see what my addiction to alcohol was doing to me and how badly affected I truly was.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has tried and failed, tried and failed and tried and failed some more...
    Taking it ODAT

Thank you, I will check it out!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Mauri, your light switch analogy is exactly what I felt - that fundamental shift in thinking that feels very different from anything that's come before it. Really happy for you (and me LOL) and everyone else who is having success after reading the book!

I don't know if you've seen his posts, but Supercrew has invaluable advice and I'm doing some things he writes about. One of his threads talks about self-hypnosis (it's not a trance-like state - more of a "how to think about things" state and the dialogue that goes on in our heads). I'm buying a book or two on the subject. You know, just to keep learning and growing and expanding.

The other thread Supercrew has posted on that's worth taking a look at is the holistic healing one. There are some links to "doctor yourself" that talk about vitamins. I'm about out and ready to order more, and I think the advice there is valuable.

Anyway, I'm so happy for you. I do think it's important for us to keep "taking action" so we don't become complacent. We need to keep doing positive things. I feel rock solid in my sobriety but do believe it's important to continue to grow as people and expand our horizons - replace the vapid alcohol life with positive things!

Best to you!

Comment

Good luck sunshine I hope you like the book

Unwasted no not seen supercrew's posts but will do a search, thank you
        Taking it ODAT

Comment

Mauritiusdodo - I am so happy that this has "clicked" for you!

I ordered Jason Vale's book and waiting for it to arrive. I have been doing some declarations in my head at night before I go to sleep, first thing when I wake, and several times during the day. Apparently if you repeat things over and over it will sink into your subconcious.

Eg - I Meech no longer drink AL and enjoy gingerale and peppermint tea at the end of the day to relax! I feel a sense of peace and inner strength now that I can walk away from temptation.

Unwasted - I'll check the supercrew posts. :thanks:

Comment

Meech - very positive stuff! Good going!

Comment

Morning all, I had a couple of wobbly moments last night, not wanting to drink but just feeling very low and wondering if i was doing the right thing and whether I could never have a drink again, I realised it was the addiction talking and had first of all a nice virgin mary whilst I had a soak in the bath and then a hot chocolate before turning in for an early night (9.30)

This morning I feel strong and positive again and ready to face whatever life throws my way

SO THERE ALCOHOL ADDICTION YOU CAN STICK THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry just need to shout out that i am done with it!
              Taking it ODAT

Comment

Good for you Meech, I hope the book makes sense to you too I like the idea of positive declarations I have only done them in my head so far but I think I may well have to voice mine too! Let us know how you get on

Meech;1191369 wrote: Mauritiusdodo - I am so happy that this has "clicked" for you!

I ordered Jason Vale's book and waiting for it to arrive. I have been doing some declarations in my head at night before I go to sleep, first thing when I wake, and several times during the day. Apparently if you repeat things over and over it will sink into your subconcious.

Eg - I Meech no longer drink AL and enjoy gingerale and peppermint tea at the end of the day to relax! I feel a sense of peace and inner strength now that I can walk away from temptation.

Unwasted - I'll check the supercrew posts. :thanks:
                Taking it ODAT

Comment

Hi all

Wow sounds like the Vale book is great... I might have to get a copy
                  Because I have tried and failed a few times
                  Back on now... having a few tenuous moments
                  Not to mention the exhaustion i am feeling on Day 2, Is that normal??
                  Mauri - why are you not counting days? Do you think its not productive?

Take Care
                  Patrice

Comment

Hi Patrice, I still feel exhausted, I am putting it down to my body getting rid of all the toxins - working harder than usual most likely now it realises there isn't any more poison flooding in! Jason says in his book that you shouldn't NEED to count days since the fact you have given up is a reason to celebrate and a new start, I must say part of me thinks I WANT to count though as it is such a major achievement for me to be not drinking AND not actually wanting to so I will see, I have put the date I stopped on my signature so I can see if I want to anyway LOL. Please do give the book a try, it may not be for everyone I know I have read someone saying it is very repetitive and a bit on the brainwashing side but I didn't feel it was like that at all although it has certainly worked some kind of magic on me!
                    Taking it ODAT

Comment

Hi Mauri
                      I'm waiting for Jason Vale to arrive. If it brainwashes me into disliking alcohol I'll be ok with that. I'm kind of addicted to counting my days already but then I'm very early doors (day 3 today). Like you I've stuck the date on my signature - but to be honest, that's just so I don't forget! My memory's not what it used to be (no suprise there) but I'm hoping that will improve too. Have a great day
                      You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Obviously I haven't put it on my signature - just another thread. Off to figure out how to do that now!
                        You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

CantBelieveI'mStillAtIt;1191762 wrote: Obviously I haven't put it on my signature - just another thread. Off to figure out how to do that now!
                          LOL just click on user cp on the blue toolbar and then edit signature down the left hand menu, you can type in whatever you like and then save it
                          Taking it ODAT

Comment

Mauri, JV says in his book that it's intentionally repetitive. I think we alkies need to have things repeated so they'll get through our thick skulls and we'll internalize them. I refer back to his book constantly because I WANT to hear them over and over. I don't feel brainwashed at all -- just like someone put things in terms that rang true for me. But, whatever works to keep us away from a harmful, life-destroying toxin that is of no benefit. He's saying we've been brainwashed (re-read the chapter on advertising and government's role in alcohol). I feel like I've been "unprogrammed" from the false idea that alcohol has benefits. Now, I can't believe I ever consumed it!

Comment

Hiya

The book sounds like another great tool to add to the many that are here... I will be placing an order!

I do think thats the special characteristic of the MWO posts...there are many tools and avenues to go down in getting a hand on this addiction and its just great that everyone is happy to share about what works/worked and what doesn't/didn't for them personally..

Encouraging to say the least

Patrice

Comment

Working...
                              X