New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New

I am new here and have never posted a blog anywhere. I have read the book, navigated the site, bought all the supplements and am now taking them, have ordered the CD's and await them. My big stumbling block here is the prescription to Topomax. I do not want to see a doctor and have this on my medical record nor pay their exorbitant fees for an appointment (and possibly be denied). As an individual purchasing my own health insurance it is critical I don't have anything wrong with me, since they raise your rates at whim or drop you. (Catch 22). I was wondering if I could get a prescription online without a face to face doctor. I can buy this online but the price (out of US) is so expensive compared to having a written prescription. Suggestions?

New

Hi Gillian,

Welcome to MWO, glad you found us!
    I did not take Topomax or any Rx drugs & I have been doing great!
    I understand your hesitation to seek a Rx. Have you tried just stopping on your own? The CDs were the biggest help to me & many others here. They helped convince me that I really could & wanted to quit. They helpe me learn to relax without AL on board.

Heres a link to our https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html which is full of reat ideas to help yuo get your plan together.

Please drop in the Newbies nest thread too & see what the others are doing.
    Wishing you the best!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

New

Gillian, I stopped without any drugs, but if you feel you must go that route, there's a thread on meds you can access from the front page.

Welcome and best to you.

Comment

New

Hi Gillian,
        I don't want to pry, but perhaps if you tell us a bit more about your drinking history we could give you advice as to whether or not you need Topomax. Like Lavande and Unwasted I didn't use any prescription drugs to stop. I do use L-Glutamine when I feel cravings, but right now I don't even need that much.

Best of luck to you and don't be a stranger here. This is a great place for support.
        Good habits breed good habits; bad habits breed bad habits.

Comment

New

:welcome:

I don't use the RX drugs... only the vitamins! Maybe give that a whirl first...

Boh
          http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

New

Thanks to all who replied. I am considering not taking the RX as well and I may well start out that way. I do have a background in biology and have believed for some time my problem is rooted in body biochemistry since I have seen this predisposition toward excess alcohol consumption in every sibling (8) as well as my father. I do believe it's related to blood sugar imbalance since all of us started life on homemade formula made with corn syrup. (Mom didn't know better at that time). Before I was over-consuming alcohol I would go on sugar binges at night. My real over-consumption/dependency started a couple of decades ago after a particularly devastating relationship breakup. It's been off and on and lately on. I consume an entire bottle of wine, give or take a glass about 3-4 nights a week. Since I am a health conscious person (which flies in the face of my drinking) I abstain when I know I am going to work out in the morning. My interest in the RX was primarily because reading that it could correct the brain chemistry component. I do not want to take pharmaceuticals and hope I can do this without them.

Comment

New

Gillian, great........sounds like you've thought about it and decided to give au naturale a try. Can't hurt and would be better for you in the long run. You can save the Rx for down the road if you absolutely have to go that route.

Corn syrup in baby formula - wow, I've never heard of that. Craziness........

Best to you.

Comment

New

Gillian,

Whichever path you choose, I wish you the best.
                Give it a go w/o the Rx, and see what happens. Biochemistry (sugar) or genetics (AL), AL can be beat. There are many success stories on this site from peeps who drink far more than you, and they can give you strength.
                "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Working...
                X