Day 6 and feeling really low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, I am now on day six and no desire to drink (apart from one tiny craving yesterday which I put down to being thirsty) and I am so pleased but I feel so depressed today, like I have been hit by a truck or something and I just want to cry and cry, I am assuming this is just a withdrawal symptom, please someone tell me that it is?

:upset::upset::upset:
    Taking it ODAT

Hi Mauri,

When I stopped for that lengthy period of time last year, I felt great for the first week ( apart from extraordinary tiredness) but then I also got really down for a couple of weeks... I agree with Molly, ita all part of withdrawl and we just have to go through it.. it will pass

Take care
    Patrice

Comment

Hi Mauri,
      The first week I felt so raw.
      Just know that it's all part of the process and keep reading and posting.
      I still kind of feel like I'm getting to know myself sober, weird.
      Day 1 again 11/5/19
      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Mauri...wow, day 6 is an amazing accomplishment - those first few days are so hard...congratulations! But 6 days also isn't that long for your body to adjust....Earlier this year, I was over 30 days and was still not feeling quite "normal" - but it depends on lots of factors...

I know that you have been feeling REALLY good about your decision and kind of on a "high" from seeing that you could rack up days AF - I know it's like a euphoria - that you CAN do it! But sometimes then you sink in the opposite direction TEMPORARILY while you adjust and think "ok, now what?"

Just don't let this get the best of you - you're going to have good moments and bad moments definitely but keep your eye on the prize - there's a reason we keep attempting this - we want sobriety really badly - we've had a taste of it and see that life can be really good and meaningful with a clear head and healthy body.

Things WILL level off, just expect a few ups and downs before you get there....:l
        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Thanks for your support everyone, I took my son to a soft play area with a friend and her little one and i have cheered up now I am so happy to be coping so well with this so far and I now know I am capable of being sober for more than one day so that is all good! Planning to start re-reading the Jason Vale book later on today, don't think I will have chance to log on again now until Sunday as we are off on our anniversary trip first thing in the morning and I have a million and one chores to do between now and then not to mention the packing!

Thank you my friends and speak soon, hope you all have a lovely weekend :thanks:
          Taking it ODAT

Comment

Hi Mauri

Day 7 here so I feel your pain. One day at a time. Just my opinion but I think we have to have faith that as the days accumulate there will be new realizations that help with the decision to not drink. I am (was) a binge and blackout drinker also.
            There is nothing worse that not knowing what the hell occurred.
            I always worried that I would wake up at home and my car would not be in the garage and I would have no idea where it was; that ALMOST happened to me. Terrifying.
            Hang in there-treat yourself well. You deserve a good life.
            As do I.

Comment

Mauri - anything is better than the torment of a life of struggling with alcohol. Remember it will get better. You're early on, but doing great. Don't think: "I can't drink" Think "I'm so fortunate not to have to drink anymore"

Best to you all you guys! Take good care an cherish your new-found freedom.

Great posts here everyone. I just love the support on this site - amazing.

Comment

You and I started visiting this forum at the same time. I joined the meds thread, cos I wanted to try campral........and you hung around here. I came back today to see how you were doing. And I have on a regular basis. No sobriety from each of us........meds or not. I see you are being supported by a lot of people here.........that is good. But............in the end our sobriety comes from within. I really hoped that with all the support you had here on this thread (and I was jealous) that there would be some resolution. You know what Mauri.......the only way to sobriety is taking responsibility for it. I really was gob smacked at your recent posts...and I would say to all of you who respect Mauri. stop supporting her in her drinking . It has been going on for nearly a year.has it worked? No I don't think so. Sometimes support is so, so enabling to people. Stop enabling this person to keep up her drinking.

Comment

"has it worked?" well, at the moment it appears that she's doing well.

And I just have to say that if that post were aimed at me, (and I've been battling alcohol for some time too, and currently doing well), I'd be put off. She even said in her first post that she has no desire to drink - just feeling down....so why the attack?
                  ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

:imglad: for MWO and will always be grateful!

Abby, with all do respect, I don't believe Mauri is being enabled. She is sober - 6 days!

Also, the tough love never worked for me in real life and I am glad no one gave it to me with my slip ups here. What will kicking someone down, while they are down, do for that person? A person needs to be built up. Not necessarily by saying, "It's OK that you are still drinking." But more along the lines of thinking of other ways to help this person find 'something' that may make them feel 'worthy' of sobriety. We, as fellow alcoholics, have a sense of 'duty' to support one another. A non-alchy does not get it!

An alcoholic has no self-esteem and for the most part no support in their 'real' life. It is such an isolating, lonely disease most of the time.

My motto is: Never give up on anyone that is truly trying. It may not seem good enough; one person's effort to someone else, but; if that person is sincerely trying to the best of their ability - then they deserve support.

I've been here for so long now. I have come a long way since joining. I have had many periods of sobriety, but, as recent as April of this year I drank. It did not end great, and hopefully it was a wake up call for me - forever, but I would probably have been dead long ago if I didn't find this place.

I was so alone being caught up in this drinking shit, I am so grateful for all of the support here. Support is not necessarily enabling. Not by a long shot.

K - and this wasn't meant to start a war or anything. I really encourage those who are still struggling to keep reaching out here and posting. No matter what. It saved me :fingers:

Comment

Hi Mauri,

I am feeling the same as you and think (know) it is withdrawals and will pass. I have been on edge, verge of tears all the time, isolating myself in my office at work and sooooooo tired. I am going to persevere as the only outcome will be me ruining my health and I have a wonderful life except for my addiction.

Let's plow through these awful first weeks and feel amazing in the long run. We need to be gentle to ourselves and do whatever is needed to stay sober. Lots of naps, water and healthy food on the agenda this weekend.

Peace

Comment

Mauri - I understand how you feel but hang in there....you can do this - Remember, it's a process and it doesn't happen overnight. I think anxiety, etc... is part of the journey!

I normally don't comment when I see things getting a little confrontational but I saw the comment from Missy and feel like I need to say this.....

We come to this site because we are broken and yet at the same time still hopeful. We succeed, and sometimes fall on our faces, yet we still keep getting up and trying. One day, for many of us, we will see victory.

When we post on this site, although I feel we need to be honest, we also need to be very careful....what we say can impact others. We don't know what state other members are in and sometimes the things we say can push overs "over the edge". We are all here together for the same reason and we need to show each other love, compassion, kindness, understanding and support....sometimes we can't get it anywhere else. If you don't have something helpful or supportive to say then please refrain from responding because you never know what damage you could be doing to others!

Comment

Wow, Missy, if you said that to me, I'd crawl in a hole, and never come back to MWO. Your pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps comments made me very sad, and they weren't even aimed at me. If we could do that, we wouldn't be here.

Mauri, you're doing great. Your six days AF are to be celebrated, and I wish you more.

I don't know your history, but you've come to the place where compassionate, empathetic people will help you. They've been there, and understand the weight you're carrying, and want to put down.

I'm glad you had a nice time a the playground with your little one. Enjoy your anniversary trip, too.:l
                          "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

M

Everybody has to find their own way, at their own pace. Don't take negative comments too serious! Your doing great! Tomorrow will be AF day 8 and that's nothing to laugh at! We all know how hard it is to beat this thing. I've tried to quit for years, and I'm just now finding my way...

Don't worry the depression will pass soon! Your doing great! Happy anniversary!

:goodjob:

Boh
                            http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

Mauri, how are you feeling now?

Missy, I'm new here, but I'm thinking that's not the approach we're going for. Just sayin...
                              Day 1 again 11/5/19
                              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X