Welcome punter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome punter!

Walked for an hour with a friend yesterday. She is my running buddy but currently has a foot problem, hence the walk. We had a lot of catching up to do, so I think our mouths ran faster than our bodies. Had sick kid home today, but hey, maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have to look for the running thread.
    BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Welcome punter!

Wish I could run. I tried, and tried and tried, but never progressed. Must be how I'm built, or my muscle structure, anyway, something didn't work. I wanted it so badly, but it was a no go. Walking hard works, though.
      "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Welcome punter!

Wow G. I didn't realize you were a runner. Great! I was especially surprised to see you spent time in San Francisco. I had a satellite office in Pleasanton some years ago, and was in the city quite a bit. I had clients in Sunnyvale, and Irvine. I typically.stayed at the Marriott Moscone Center '88 – '99. The last few years I was mostly in the LA area when I was on the WC for business.

It's a small world indeed!
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Welcome punter!

Those are unbeleavable fantastic words Guitarista.....thanku. It sounds like me and so many others too. Feel the fear and do it anyway....i have this book sitting on my bookshelf...but havent had the courage to read it yet....how funny is that!!! Thanku for your insight into how it feels to be wrapped up in fear and under confidence.....i blame the parents and brother...lol again. Now the present is whats cool...not the past. You r great. Cheers mate....gonna read yr post again now. Bells xxxxx

Comment

Welcome punter!

techie;1207010 wrote: Wow G. I didn't realize you were a runner. Great! I was especially surprised to see you spent time in San Francisco. I had a satellite office in Pleasanton some years ago, and was in the city quite a bit. I had clients in Sunnyvale, and Irvine. I typically.stayed at the Marriott Moscone Center '88 ? '99. The last few years I was mostly in the LA area when I was on the WC for business.

It's a small world indeed!
            Yep, been running for many years Techie. Helps keep me sane, but a real essential tool to use in recovery i find. There's not much room for negativity in my mind and body after a good run. I haven't been to Frisco yet, been to NYC though many years ago, and loved it.

Great to see you Bella.

I'm glad you got something from these posts. When i find something that i think is relevant and useful to our recovery, i share it here.

Best wishes to you, and go kick some ass. :h

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Welcome punter!

Greetings everyone!

I'd like to share another great post from my mate Craig Harper. Enjoy.

Thinking: good.
              Over-thinking: bad.

The Almost Brigade

Many of us have been almost doing things for years. Almost changing habits. Almost getting in shape. Almost facing our fears. We boldly stand at the precipice of change like soldiers about to go to war. With the only problem being, we never go. We don?t fire a single bullet. Sure, we have the weapons and the potential to improvise, adapt and overcome but somehow? here we are. Still.

Thinking. Again.

The Theory of Change

Yes, we think about how we?re going to change our lives. Constantly. And what we?re going to do. And how we?ll do it. We?ve talked about it. Researched it. Visualised it. Seen others do it. Planned for it. Hoped for it. Wanted, waited and intended but in that place outside our head (the physical world), we?ve never actually done the job. In most cases, we know what to do but (for a range of reasons) we don?t do what we know. We are theoretically and conceptually brilliant. If only life was a theory. A wish-list. A goal-setting sheet. A time-line.

Or an idea.

We all know that intentions aren?t actions, thinking isn?t doing and wanting requires no sacrifice, courage or effort. So, the challenge for us over-thinkers and under-doers is to escape the cycle of analysis paralysis and become the courageous, adventurous person who dares to explore their potential and do what success requires.

Good in theory Harper, but how?

Like most challenges, there?s no one-approach-fits-all solution but there are some strategies, ideas and techniques which have proven to be valuable to many people over the ages. Here are a few:

1. Control your controllables. As of right now, stop wasting time and energy on things you have zero control of. Namely, the past, other people, your genetics, the weather? should I continue? Here?s a healthy question: In this situation, this environment, this relationship, this conversation, this moment (etc.), what can I control? And another: what should I do today? Rather than, what am I comfortable doing?

2. Stop repeating yourself. And stop believing your own stories. Make a conscious effort to stop having the same pointless conversations about the same issues. With others and yourself.

3. Don?t wait for the perfect time. For the most part, perfect timing is a myth. It?s just another delaying tactic. We know what you?re up to. Some people will die waiting for the right time. Don?t join the club.

4. Shift your focus. Imagine I said to you ?if you don?t think about the number seven for the next sixty seconds, I?ll give you a million dollars?. You?d never win the money because you?d constantly be telling yourself not to think about the number seven. Trying to ?not? think about something doesn?t work. Instead, shift your attention and energy elsewhere. Try something more positive. Something more solution-focused. I?ve always found that helping others with their challenges puts my so-called problems into a very different perspective. The less I obsess about me, the more empowered and effective I become.

5. Every so often, do something that scares you. Not to be mistaken with doing something life-threatening or stupid. When we face our fears and come out the other side (as we usually do), we experience an immediate internal shift. For the better. Overcoming fear is typically about doing more and thinking less.

6. Commit to doing something new every day. Having new experiences helps us transform our internal landscape. It could be something big (jumping out of a plane) or something small (saying hello to a stranger). When we do different we become different. Change produces change.

7. Hang out with doers. People who will challenge you. Not people who will get on board your train to Over-Thinkers-Ville.

8.Allow yourself to make mistakes. It?s okay to be wrong. And flawed. And dysfunctional. Normal, in fact. Welcome to the world?s biggest club. Some people never take a first step because their goal is perfection. Such a bad goal. Don?t let your ego (?I don?t want to look stupid?) get in the way of your potential. When you?re making mistakes, you?re learning, you?re taking chances, you?re being proactive and mostly importantly, you?re growing.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Welcome punter!

GREAT post as always!
                Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Welcome punter!

Hi Mr. G and post followers!

Now that I changed my drinking this post comes in time to do the rest! Always keep moving...
                  Alcoholism is a way to stagnate. Didn't read all the pages, but it links to being a soft cocoon to wrap unworthiness in.

Juja - I'm with you! No to running. Too many things shaking!! But now that the AL cloud is lifting, I am taking care of everything! My garden and my dogs! My God I'm busy!!

So, I'll be taking an untamed labrador to the park for some walking. Going to try 10am first when there is no one in the park...
                  12-20-2012 AF
                  Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Welcome punter!

I'm bumping this thread because I mentioned it in the nest...and because I kept soooo much of it saved in a document and have read and re read it...thanks for this guitarista - the words you shared here have supported and inspired me much over the past year.

-lola
                    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Working...
                    X