What do you hope to gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be healthy and to know that I'm not significantly increasing the risk of my breast cancer (or any other cancer for that matter) returning
    To regain self-respect
    To be a better person, less self-centred
    To be at peace with myself
    To sleep better
    To learn something from this mess that I can use to help others in some way
    To let my children feel proud of me
    To never see my husband searching for hidden bottles again or the worry etched on his face
    To lose weight
    To feel clear-headed
    To live for the moment and feel joy for life itself
    To be a stronger person, able to deal with life's challenges without the need to 'take the edge of things'
    To live a more spiritual life
    AL free since 24 October 2011

Comment

Sobriety

To be true to myself. To my true self.

Missy xxx

Comment

To feel clear headed again.
        To have my DH sleep a full night in our bed without leaving because I am snoring.
        To not embarrass my DH and children
        To feel proud of myself
        To feel healthy
        To lose weight
        To never wake up feeling like sh*t
        To getting my memory back
        To have clear eyes and a glowing face
        "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding." Elvis Costello

Comment

Great Post:Things I'm looking to get are:
          - Feel better,
          - Look better,
          - Get Fitter,
          - Have more money,
          - Confidence,
          - Time,
          - Achieve more in work and college,
          - Ambition

Even after a few weeks I think I am making progress on the above (apart from the money bit as I am still catching up on years of waste)

The above are all pretty aesthetic but some that really resonate with me are real long-term goals:
          - being at peace with myself,
          - piece of mind,
          - self-respect,
          - being a better person, friend,son, brother, uncle
          - someone who can be relied upon and is respected

What I don't want :
          - To lose sense of mischievness and fun (actually keeping on drinking is more likely to erode this)
          - Becoming a self-righteous anti-drink preaching bore :-)
          - Lose the desire to go out and embrace social ocassions.

Comment

Waking up in the morning and not checking the phone log to see who I called - because I can't remember
            That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
            Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
            AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Prairie Fairy;1198476 wrote: Waking up in the morning and not checking the phone log to see who I called - because I can't remember
              I think this behavior is what disgusted me the most about myself. I would have full conversations with people and have no idea they had taken place. Waking up at 3am and scrambling for the phone to look through ?sent? texts would give me the biggest anxiety attack. Once my daughter said ?That song you made up last night was really funny mom?. And I would have to pretend I knew what she was talking about?but really I was thinking ?What song?? I also drove drunk more times than I?d like to admit to, but somehow embarrassing myself seemed worse (I know it?s not, but it seemed like it). What a horrible feeling to lose control like that. I?m so thankful I don?t have to stress about that anymore.
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Oh yeah - last nights Conversation with the BF was terrifying. Phone log said we had talked 2.5 hours night before. WTF?

The I got the ultimatum last night of if you want to be with me - you know what you have to do. And I had to play detective and rile him up to find out WTF. Terrified the crap out of me. It's a family sit he's known about but it seems the wine made me share more of the long time multi-generational history and now he is so pissed there are family members that I or my kids are around - he won't be.

But OMG - it could have been anything - he was so mad and I didn't know why. This can't go on.

Playing the hypnotics today 24/7 as I am home with flu. Hoping to get a jump start on reprogramming the booze brain.
                That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

I echo all the posts.

I hope to gain freedom, hope and peace.

I am feeling it starting to transpire and feel lighter already. I am enjoying every single day and grateful that the light bulb went on. It just feels so different this time, I am not stressing about the holidays, get togethers where alcohol will be flowing. My past failures were based on all these fears. I am free, not thinking about alcohol and do not in any way at all feel deprived. Plus my clothes are starting to feel comfortable again, woohoo.

Peace

Comment

This is a great thread....lotsa wonderful 'hopes'.

I'm giving a hearty AMEN to DoggyG's post. All these things are possible....Being AF is incredible.
                    Sober for the Revolution!
                    AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Bumping thread.

I reread this one - even though it's a new one - when I feel tempted to "crack" because •all• of these are things I hope to achieve. I lurked forever before I joined (a year) and even then it took time to stick my toe in the try for 30 day AF pool.

It's Day 5 - it's Sunday Sinday - where I would binge like crazy...so it was time to reread. And make sure any lurkers who might be hurting, wondering, and hesitant could see it.

Onward.
                      AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

mauritiusdodo;1197385 wrote: Another thread to motivate me!

I hope that in stopping drinking I will:

Be a better person
                        Lose weight
                        Save money
                        Get healthy
                        Regain my confidence and my lust for life

What are your hopes?
                        Im fairly convinced all of your goals are natural by products of living an AF life.....I wish you the best in your journey

Doggygirl;1197691 wrote:

I have lost weight. I'm up a bit right now, but still down 40 pounds from when I quit drinking.

DG
                        That is FANTASTIC and inspiring, well done

Prairie Fairy;1198476 wrote:
                        Waking up in the morning and not checking the phone log to see who I called - because I can't remember
                        Guilty as charged, Ive done the exact same thing, only it was on message boards.

This is a great thread, LOVE IT
                        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Bump - over in the Nest the wise Lolab, Lav and Byrdie are attempting to get 3 of us who are in the grips of the monkey chatter to pull our heads our of our collective asses. I think it was Lolab who suggested finding our early desperate posts and reread them to remind us why we were breaking with the past.

So - here I am on the mobile - at the shop that carries my favorite Malbec. I need dinner - which I get here as well - but I think after reading this I'll order a pizza or make a frozen dinner. I walk in those doors tonight and I will not win. I will not defeat the alien.

So. I will not go in. I will not fight a battle I can only lose. Today I will be stronger than AL.
                          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

You go girl! (well DON'T go into that shop). As one of the other one with "head up the ass" I had to make the laundry room off limits this afternoon. The heck with the laundry. I can fold it later. Almost to dinner time and then I am pretty safe from the beast. Let's get through this!
                            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

With you BelleGirl

BelleGirl;1204900 wrote: You go girl! (well DON'T go into that shop). As one of the other one with "head up the ass" I had to make the laundry room off limits this afternoon. The heck with the laundry. I can fold it later. Almost to dinner time and then I am pretty safe from the beast. Let's get through this!
                              Dinner - herbal tea- and a BUTT load of supplements on tap ASAP!!!!

Time to here the pop of my head snapping lose of my nether regions. Or at least - getting me to white knuckle stage.

Keep saying to myself - "I ?AM? stronger than AL"

We can do this.
                              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Not one of the 3 - but definitely another newbie who has had her "head up her ass" for sometime, well frickin ages actually. Tucked in bed now - made another day. You can do it Prarie, you too Belle. See you in the nest tomorrow racking up another
                                You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Working...
                                X