Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An older drunk back on day one. Who's with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DB - isn't that the truth - so nice to be able to do the right things and then realise what you would have missed normally!!
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Well done Dogwood on being able to be there for your friend! Becoming more dependable is a great feeling and one of the many benefits of kicking Al out of our lives.

It was me who mentioned being more present for the people I love because this has been a big one for me. I have always prided myself on being a good friend and I wouldn't have said I was letting people down when I was drinking buuutttt with a bit of time sober you start to see how you just cannot totally be there and be present for others when you're drinking as you're either drunk, obsessing over drinking, or hungover. You might be 'there' but you're not really totally present. I find myself naturally doing more for people now and just feeling more 'there' and it feels great!

Today is Day 30!!! It is almost a bizarre feeling because it has literally been a goal I haven't been able to reach for an entire year, starting last July when I was starting to wake up to the fact my drinking was getting out of hand and Dry July was a good 'excuse' to trial stopping. I then found I could manage a week to two (around 10-17 days seemed to be when I typically drank again) and in October I went 24 days, but never 30. Repeat cycle over and over?

It sounds like such a tiny amount of time I can't believe it's taken me a year to get here. I woke up feeling a bit depressed this morning - don't know why exactly - but felt better after a fresh raw juice and trip to the gym, both of which are some of the ways I am looking after myself better being AF.

Tonight I plan to take some time out to journal and reflect. Like Guitarista
      said, it's a good opportunity to push that door wider, not backslide. And I know I need to do that. Even last night I was over at a friend's house cooking dinner (example of above - a friend who does all the cooking in his house has hurt his foot and can't stand so I have been taking food over or cooking for him there) and his partner offered me 'just one glass of wine while you cook'. I was fleetingly tempted! Then thought, how stupid and depressing would it be to wake up on Day 30 hungover? Because we all know it would not really have been 'just one'?

The benefits ARE worth it. I just need to keep pushing on through.

Keep striving guys? 30 Days does feel worth it, even if it has taken a year of trying.

Comment

LillyE;1357531 wrote:
        Today is Day 30!!!
        It is almost a bizarre feeling because it has literally been a goal I haven't been able to reach for an entire year, starting last July when I was starting to wake up to the fact my drinking was getting out of hand and Dry July was a good 'excuse' to trial stopping. I then found I could manage a week to two (around 10-17 days seemed to be when I typically drank again) and in October I went 24 days, but never 30. Repeat cycle over and over?

It sounds like such a tiny amount of time I can't believe it's taken me a year to get here. I woke up feeling a bit depressed this morning - don't know why exactly - but felt better after a fresh raw juice and trip to the gym, both of which are some of the ways I am looking after myself better being AF.
        Lilly - let me be the first to congratulate you. 30 days - awesome! :applaud:
        Absolutely delighted for you. You're a shining light for me as I've watched your journey to get there. Massive pat on the back for saying no to that glass of wine last night!

Sorry you felt a bit down when you woke up but I hope you can settle in to good feelings for the day. :whee: :heartsnflowers:
        You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Congratulations on 30 days booze free Lilly! :goodjob:

Here's to the next 30 and beyond!

:wd::day5::clown::jumpwow:

:disco:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Right behind you Clear eyes!

Keep it going and enjoy!

Have a safe, sober, and magical week y'all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Congrats Lilly! I know you already have another goal in mind or at least will have soon. I think that when we have a big goal and we focus and work and focus and work and then one day, we reach it, although we are happy, it can be a bit deflating. That is in anything we do. It's important to have another goal waiting in the wings.

Had a friend who trained and trained and trained to run a marathon. As the day got closer, the excitement rose and finally it was here! When it was over, she was happy she accomplished what she set out to do, but she was also mentally, emotionally and physically drained and she had not prepared for what was next. She battled with depression for a time until she realized she had to set and move on to her next goal.

You have done great and been a good example to everyone struggling to just reach Day 3, or 1 week. Enjoy today, reaching your goal, then set your new goal and get to it!

Comment

So here we go guys - week two.....

This is how I'm feeling today - every word of it. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12zPU-8bsTE[/video]]Gossip - Move In The Right Direction - YouTube

Bring it on

Comment

FreeFly, I love that song! That should be the MWO theme song!

Comment

Glad you liked it DB.

Last night was the first night without a craving. Al still preoccupies my brain but it's beginning to loosen its grip. This is obviously not just the result of 9 days but the progress made in the last 10 months.

How's everyone doing? Bit quiet round here.

Comment

Day 2 for me, and harder then I thought. I am still obsessing about things I have done, and usually that would send me to buy AL. Cane in from work, with a stress headache and now in bed , trying to keep my mind off it all. I will get there, I gave too.

Comment

Hi Marhall :welcome:

Well done on day 2 - grand job. No point churning over the past. Give yourself a big pat on the back for resisting the pull. Hope the head clears soon. I go to bed very early sometimes - helps ignore any craving. Such a good feeling the next morning. Hope you enjoy yours tomorrow

Comment

Thank you freefly. I was hoping I was not intruding here.

Comment

Marhall;1358232 wrote: Thank you freefly. I was hoping I was not intruding here.
                            Hi Marhall, and greetings everyone.

You are welcome here anytime Marhall. Just jump in and make yourself at home. Great going on day 2. Another day or so, and people are usually over the worst.

Here's some inspiring and useful reading for you

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Highly recommended.

Great stuff FF on 9 days! You sound so positive and happy.

Bravo! :goodjob:

Comment

Hi all!

Dogwood, I reckon you hit the nail on the head with the marathon analogy there. I think it was a bit of an anticlimax... like, NOW what? But I am feeling much more positive after a bit of reflection last night and more determined to keep moving forward. I keep thinking about what G said about opening the door wider. It's been hard to get to 30 days - obviously, it's taken me a year! And if I threw it away now who knows how long it'd take to get back there. I don't want to stay stuck, which I've felt a lot the last year and I think the on-off cycle has had everything to do with it. I want to use my 30 days as a springboard to better things. Onward and upward!

Freefly, I'm so happy to hear you sounding so great and so positive! That's great that you had a day without cravings. Just keep it going and keep building up those days. I still feel preoccupied with NOT drinking so much of the time but I'm trying to have faith that if I can keep going those days will come where I don't think about Al at all either way. Or I do but I don't care nearly so much.

Wishing you all a lovely, happy sober night (or day) wherever you are.

L x

Comment

Keep it going Lilly.

I wouldn't hand out advice, or tell folks what to do, but i can tell you from experience, and what i see around here, that the AF life just gets better, and better, and better. 60 days is something else, and around 90 is something else again. It's free, wild, and magical.

And i of course, am going for it.

Bravo friend, and best wishes everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X