Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An older drunk back on day one. Who's with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

patrice;1372785 wrote: Yes today is just starting and it's looking good so far

Pat
    Ok. Have a great day.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Tonight is Day 13 and I think I've turned Byrdie's corner...for the most part. I hit massive cravings this afternoon at the witching hour - I'd meant to go one more place and had to turn around - head home and supplement like crazy because I'm on AB and there is no breaking - but I *HAD* to address the craving.

So - it was enforced end of shopping. Period.

And the AB is making me more tired...I have a million things I want to say - but I'm too tired to write coherent thoughts. I'm hoping to put something together tomorrow that makes some sense...

In the meantime - I'm so grateful the AB is here. It really does take all the mental discussion and monkey chatter of whether I'm going to go to the liquor store or not off the table. I'm not. I couldn't for 5 days even if I quit taking one tomorrow. That's five days to pull my head out of my arse.

Each day I get better. Each day I get stronger. And repetition of this is key. Tomorrow is Day 14.

But it's just the start. I am on this path. I am not stopping. I am not turning back.
      That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
      Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
      AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Bravo Prairie. Bravo.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Hello lovely people,

Sorry I haven't been around here... been a bit busy, distracted, now sick, so just popping in on Monthly Abs mostly. But I wanted to swing by and see how you're all doing over here...

FreeFly :l Hope you are feeling ok now and not too regretful. I was just saying on the MA thread earlier that sometimes when we slip and nothing much happens that can be the most dangerous thing of all as it keeps the alcohol dream alive. But it sounds like you know that AF is the way you want to go so you need to listen to the wise words of G and accept that it is not an option for you, for us.

Easier said than done I know. The discussion of slips happening here and there recently has got me thinking that I know myself I could so easily. I hope not to of course, but I'm far from being 100% confident I won't.

In any case, dust yourself off and keep flying friend.

Guitarista, dunno if you saw my question in Monthly Abs but is there some update on spinach lady? Also, did you see any of the 'Go Back to Where You Came From' series that aired on SBS last week? Wow, talk about a lesson in the need for gratitude. Really made me reflect on how lucky I am even during those times I'm thinking things are hard.

:h to you all.

L x

Comment

LillyE;1372915 wrote:

Guitarista, dunno if you saw my question in Monthly Abs but is there some update on spinach lady? Also, did you see any of the 'Go Back to Where You Came From' series that aired on SBS last week? Wow, talk about a lesson in the need for gratitude. Really made me reflect on how lucky I am even during those times I'm thinking things are hard.
            G'day Lilly,

Good to see you. Hope you get a good sleep tonight and feel better tomorrow.

No update on spinach woman, but my next gig is next sunday the 9th, so not sure if she'll be there, but it's possible. There's no active pursuit occurring at this stage, but if she appears at gig, i shall engage target.

Yep, i saw a bit of that show. We have a lot of room here i see, and as Peter Reith say's, 'new settlers' are good for the economy, not to mention the enriching cultural exchange. I'm not a fan of border's as a concept.

Comment

Ah, happy to hear that spinach lady in the offing is a possibility in the not-too-distant future. (I though that "Off to find _________:h comment was trying to tell us something you see.) And, hell, if you're in an engaging target frame of mind, even if she doesn't show you may turn your vegetable charm on for some other lucky lady. Will be expecting updates. (Can you tell I haven't had a date in awhile? I need to live vicariously... Or go get me some action of my own to report on.)

I think Australia's record on treatment of asylum seekers is pretty appalling, I have to say. I have been involved with an organisation that works with newly settled refugees and, well, we could just be doing so, so much more is really all I can say. The narrow-minded views about "queue jumpers" and ect drive me nuts too. But I think you'd have to have a heart of stone to have seen that show and not "get" why people might just be desperate enough to get in some god forsaken leaky boat to try and get here.

Yep, I think we have a lot more room to offer physically, economically, socially, culturally and, I hope, in our hearts and minds too.

Comment

Guitarista;1372781 wrote:
                This is the key. When we see that the evidence is irrefutable, unquestionable, and right before us time and time again. For me, this is about my acceptance, and surrender of/to the situation, and my relationship with AL. How do i get my head around ACCEPTING that i cannot and do not moderate, and that when i have 1 drink, i want to continue all day/night. What do i want to do about it? Do i want to continue that existence? I can quietly go away and drink for the coming years in isolation if i wish to. This is a very real choice i have. But i don't want to do that. A part of me does, but a bigger more present part of me does not, thankfully. Luckily for me, i can see great joy and treasure to be had in this thing called life, and i want some of that. Once we accept we cannot drink safely, and it is a waste of our precious time and life force, then we are free.

Wise words G, thank you. Thick head has been contemplating them today and I do think I'm coming to terms with this whole thing. I'm actually content without the booze so dumbfounded at my compulsion to keep messing that up. I want the second half of my life to be joyful and remembered so I am going to make this change. Like you say, the alternative is to drink in isolation and a very real choice. Thick head is getting that now!

I'm coming up to a year since finding this site so I figure I've tried every different day and month and the answer remains the same. Me and alcohol don't mix anymore (did they ever, nope). My goal is to get those 30 days in before the year's out.

LillyE;1372915 wrote:

FreeFly :l Hope you are feeling ok now and not too regretful. I was just saying on the MA thread earlier that sometimes when we slip and nothing much happens that can be the most dangerous thing of all as it keeps the alcohol dream alive
                . But it sounds like you know that AF is the way you want to go so you need to listen to the wise words of G and accept that it is not an option for you, for us.

Easier said than done I know. The discussion of slips happening here and there recently has got me thinking that I know myself I could so easily. I hope not to of course, but I'm far from being 100% confident I won't.

In any case, dust yourself off and keep flying friend.
                Thanks Lilly :l sweet of you to pop over here. Yes I have to go AF and am envious of where you are. Don't you ever 'slip' and give that away - you'd be so sad. I'm so bored as well of feeling this way, so absolutely bored of it. I'm glad I'm here with such kind support. Like you say, I'm dusting myself off and and buckling in for take off.

Nice shoes btw - are those your feet? Oh and get well soon x

Prairie & Patrice - you're both doing great :goodjob: Bringing up the rear this end and this time is it - I will make it to 30!

ps. G - seems a few of us are living vicariously through your love life! Love the 'engage target' :H Keep us posted
                You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Hi Lilly, FF, and all to come,

My vegetable charm Lilly? Err, i 'll take that as a compliment. :H

Your floor looks nice and clean in your avatar.

Well, you girls will just have to get out there and get some action then. But having said that, for me, it's essential i maintain my emotional stability and equilibrium in early sobriety. Getting emotional, stressed, and worked up about something, anything, can be enough to derail me. For many of us in early sobriety, or when trying to get and stay sober, any kind of emotional challenge or change, i.e new r.....r......r.....r.e......rel......relat........ relationships, whilst exciting, for me i need to keep an even keel and be cool about things. I sure do have to protect my sobriety and put it first, and above all else. Just my thoughts. This won't stop me suggesting a walk to the car park to sing her my latest song, the romantic and classy bloke that i am.....

Hope everyone is well and keeping positive. Kick the negative out. There's no room or time for that trivia in our precious lives. It is an illusion. Meaning we often magnify negativity and dwell on it unnecessarily. It is in the past, or hasn't happened yet. It is only as real as we allow it to be in our thoughts and in our daily attitude.

Wishing everyone a safe, sober and magical week.

Comment

Hiya all, G and FF, lily.. I'm not sure who else is there but hi,

I'm in the wide awake at 4.30am club,, don't think it's exclusive !! I think we all have sleep problems, at times. It's Ok though, feels so much better being awake at 4.30 sober with a slight 'lack of sleep' headache as opposed to 4.30 am sweating with a mega hangover. That... G..is the Positive today!!

Another positive is I have gotten through a few dark days.. last week would have been my Dad's 75th birthday, Sunday was Father's day and today is 4 months to the day since he died. Lots of thoughts of him over these days... I have used my gratitude thinking to propel me to a different place and have been thinking how proud Dad would have been of me for reining in the alcohol...

And today is my 13th day off the turps..
                    I hope you all have a fab day

Patrice

Comment

Hi Patrice, I'm sorry about your dad. I bet he's mighty proud of you :l

Two weeks already - fabulous. I hope to be there soon (well in 2 weeks!). Hope you get a wee bit more shut eye soon Where abouts are you in the world then?

Comment

Congratulations on 13 days AF Patrice! Keep it going. You are rocking it. We must follow through. Your dad would be very proud of you, and you should be very proud of yourself.

Take care there FF.

Bye y'all. Off out into the day for me.

L8tr, Yo!

Comment

FF I live in Malaysia. I'm from NZ but I teach English here.. and no more zzzz's for me .. now it's 5.30 and I love this time of the morning because it is so relatively cool ( 26 or 27 C)

Comment

Wow that's cool! We had a hot afternoon over here in the UK today climbing to 21C !

Have a great day 14. Bedtime for me and it was a green day - yay!

Comment

FreeFly, now please stop beating yourself up sweetheart with all the 'thick' talk - you can do this, I know you can, but sometimes it's a process.

I know all too well the feeling of many failed attempts and how defeating it can be. It is kind of helping me stay strong now, because it took so long to get to 30, and if I had to go back to Day 1 now I'd feel so defeated I worry I just couldn't summon the motivation again. Which is not to say I couldn't still slip because i know I could, but I am continually working on my motivation not to. So your words help too. And if you need extra support - come over and join us in Monthly Abs too. It's a great little group fully committed to being AF with some tough love whip cracking going on when people do drink.

And, yes, those are my shoes, and the floor of my last flat Those are for Shue, who I was chatting with last night, so she could see my favorite pair of heels. Not that I get them out all that much though, as I suck at walking in heels.

Guitarista, Yes the vegetable charm was definitely an affectionate-teasing-of-you-compliment. I agree with what you said about dating and romance. As much as part of me would like to meet someone new - it's been awhile - I'm actually deliberately *not* looking actively right now, as I do recognize that and I think that getting sober is the most important thing right now and I'd be wise to wait at least six months - a year if I can stand it - to emerge back out into the dating pool. I know all too well that those heightened emotions, be they excitement or disappointment, not to mention being out on 'dates', could be a dangerous path to temptation.

Hence, why I need you to go forth and gather salacious gossip for me to vicariously live through So go on you with the parking lot serenade. She'd be mad if she can resist that!

Patrice
                              , so sorry to hear about your Dad but WELL DONE you on almost two weeks. It WILL keep getting easier from here.

Comment

Guitarista;1373127 wrote: Hi Lilly, FF, and all to come,

My vegetable charm Lilly? Err, i 'll take that as a compliment. :H

Your floor looks nice and clean in your avatar.

Well, you girls will just have to get out there and get some action then. But having said that, for me, it's essential i maintain my emotional stability and equilibrium in early sobriety. Getting emotional, stressed, and worked up about something, anything, can be enough to derail me. For many of us in early sobriety, or when trying to get and stay sober, any kind of emotional challenge or change, i.e new r.....r......r.....r.e......rel......relat........ relationships, whilst exciting, for me i need to keep an even keel and be cool about things. I sure do have to protect my sobriety and put it first, and above all else. Just my thoughts. This won't stop me suggesting a walk to the car park to sing her my latest song, the romantic and classy bloke that i am.....

Hope everyone is well and keeping positive. Kick the negative out. There's no room or time for that trivia in our precious lives. It is an illusion. Meaning we often magnify negativity and dwell on it unnecessarily. It is in the past, or hasn't happened yet. It is only as real as we allow it to be in our thoughts and in our daily attitude.

Wishing everyone a safe, sober and magical week.
                                Smart man regarding the relationship thoughts. Sounds like you have a good handle on what can trigger and trip you up. I'm mentally putting mine into real awareness mode in this round AF because it is so important to identify them in real time and not just background noise or generalizations.
                                Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Working...
                                X