Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An older drunk back on day one. Who's with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been merrily going about my business today in a very green way when I walked past a smoker on my way home, one whiff and poof! alkie brain kicked in, whaaat! That is all it took for the sneaky b*****d to rear its head. Came home quickly, made lemon water and got on here. It's passed but flippin ek it was like a switch being flicked. NTS - switch can be flicked just as quickly the other way - no need to listen to alkie brain.
    You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Hi there. Today is Day 1 of my decision to quit drinking. It is very, very necessary. I know I want to do it, but have little confidence. The addiction is quite strong at this point in my life. Any specific advice on how to get through Day 1, then Day 2.... please share.

I responded to your text as something specific resonated with me. I thought as I made this decision last night, you know one drink is not enough, one bottle is not enough, so there is no healthly or safe level of drinking for me anymore.
      "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Wow, that was a terrific, terrific reply. Thank you so much. All your advice hit home. Wow, I've had a few days without drinking in the past few months, but that's it. A good day is only one bottle of wine. Yesterday was (I think) two bottles and a martini. So, probably will have the withdrawls? I have the MWO supplements, so will take them. Decided to work from home today, so I will have a less exhausting day. And my son is home with a cold, so I have company (sad, but true, that I want to lean on my nine year old for support, but it is in part to not miss his beautiful childhood that I am doing this). It is a relief to make the decision finally. But scared I am. I'm scared that I've waited so long to give this up that I won't be able to.
        :new:
        "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Hello Catbuddy and a big :welcome: from me too. Great advice from Molly. You've found a great place friend and I look forward to getting to know you. Like Molly says, no need to be frightened. You'll be a different person in a few days Wishing you lots of love and strength on journey.
          You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Thank you! How do people become *accountable* to each other on this site? This is a very long thread, for example. Do people come back to the same thread to find each other? I'm a little confused.

People are so warm! It gives me great hope. I lead a very emotionally isolated life - single mom, living in a community closed to newcomers (even after five years) and closed to unmarried women (social invitations are couples only). So I feel no support system, hanging out in space. And I'm afraid to discuss this decision with those in my life. AL dependence carries huge social stigma.

Anyway, how to find my new friends again??

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Hi Everyone!

A huge welcome to CatBuddy!!! :welcome: I just wanted to say that I can relate to how you feel about leaning on your 9 year old. I remember when I'd binge when my daughter was away at her dads, and I'd wake up the next morning with so much anxiety, trying to piece together the night before, cringing when I actually remembered things I did and said...I was so anxious for her to get back home so I could feel "normal" again. I got sober for my daughter, but I stay sober for me, which benefits us both. Stick around and keep posting so we can get to know you! And remember, you are NOT alone...we've all been there!

G-Man...no exiciting kitchen stories lately. I have dinner already made for tonight, so if I can get it from the fridge to the oven, I should be okay! Then again, that could be tricky.

I've started making sun tea...I got a nice glass container that I fill with water and tea bags and set out in the sun for a few hours. My daughter and nephew LOVE it. I think I will start charging them per glass. lol

How is everyone doing with being GREEN? I'm using Butterfly stickers for October. We can do this :l
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hi K9Lover,

Just to share re kids, today is my son's ninth birthday. I wish I could say I am doing this for him. I love him to pieces, but have been drinking throughout his childhood. So why today? Because yesterday I slept through a scheduled phone call with my boss, missing it at 11:00am because I started drinking at 9:00am and fell asleep. Lied to him re the reason, then just sat there. If I worked for me, I would tell me to get my sh*t together. So here I am. But my son is definitely going to love his new mom.

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

You're right Cat, he IS going to love his new Mom.

When my daughter was about 12, she wrote me heartfelt letter (covered with teardrops) about how her life is so great, EXCEPT that she worried about me dying. She kept having a recurring dream that I went to the Doctor and they found liver disease and lung cancer. To know that I was the cause of her ONE unhappiness in life broke my heart. I wish I could say that I stopped THAT DAY, but I didn't. It took me a while, and a few more heartbreaking episodes, before I finally said "That's IT!!!". You'll know when you're ready. I finally quit when drinking became harder than not drinking.

Stick close to us and come on over to the Newbies Nest for lots of support and advice. You can do this, and we can help! :l
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

On my way to Newbies Nest --. It has become harder to drink. I feel it in every way. I can't keep the balls in the air anymore; it's all going to come crashing down unless I stop. I guess you could say I am seeing rock bottom, and not going there.

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Hi all.
                      Welcome Catbuddy - you will find the right palce for you. I have a few threads that I read daily, and then check the new threads from time to time, especially when I urge surfing! My girls are 11 and 14 and they see and know what is happening - they mention wine and drinking from time to time and they are so aware of when there is not wine around and their mother around instead - I know I thought that I kept it from them, but booyah to that, I didn't!
                      FF - easing thru October is what I am hoping for too - I am not getting too strong, or too hopeful, just hoping quietly and gently that I make it from day to day. I did enjoy being AF last holiday season, and that is in the back of my mind.
                      Yes, house sold - and about half of what I paid for it 7 years ago - so bank has it all and no nice chunk of change, but one less worry. I happily accept the wish angel for love, fun and laughter, thank you so much :l
                      Have a good Tuesday all - back to work and check back in later..
                      “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

SL-
                        So glad you have one less worry. Sorry it sold for way less, not good, but is expected in today's ecomony. Best to you this October.

Comment

K9Lover;1386179 wrote:

G-Man...no exiciting kitchen stories lately. I have dinner already made for tonight, so if I can get it from the fridge to the oven, I should be okay! Then again, that could be tricky.

:H

Catbuddy;1386201 wrote:
                          I can't keep the balls in the air anymore; it's all going to come crashing down unless I stop.
                          Hi Catbuddy and a huge welcome to you. Yes, this is what happens eventually. Our problem drinking, alcoholism, affliction, disease, addiction, whatever we want to call it, doesn't get better, it gets progressively worse. Great to see you deciding to take back your life. And you can.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

scottish lass;1386222 wrote:

FF - easing thru October is what I am hoping for too - I am not getting too strong, or too hopeful, just hoping quietly and gently that I make it from day to day. I did enjoy being AF last holiday season, and that is in the back of my mind.
                            Hi Lassie,

Quiet achiever mode this month eh? Sounds like a plan.

Hi Clear eyes. How are you going?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Hi all

Yes easing through October sounds like a great idea!

Take care
                              Patrice

Comment

Hi Patrice!

Off to hit the hay for me. Have a cruisey and happy evening friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X