Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...what did you tell them about the quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious - I felt very private and protective of my quit. I told NO one about it until I made Day 12. All I have said is that I am on a month long detox since I felt my immune system was compromised as evidenced by how many times I'd been sick in the past 3 months.

So I refer to it as a 30 day vitamin overhaul, refine sugar reduction, fiber/vege/fish increase, coffee decrease, tea increase, massive dose of fishoil/EPA plus amino's, and AL quit until my 30 day detox is over.

This has satisfied most of the casual friends but all of a sudden my family, best friend, and boy friend are digging in wanting more. Frankly - I don't feel like talking about it.

I still feel protective. I feel like there are things I don't press them on and I expect them to butt out.

Anyone else have that reaction or am I alone on this one?
    That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
    Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
    AF - August 20, 2012

That doesn't mean I won't continue after 30 days - I can easily see telling everyone I feel so healthy that I want to continue. Just thought I would add that before Lav and Byrdie had a heart attack. :-)
    That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
    AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

:H NO HEART ATTACK here PF :H

I am still completely private & protective about my quits ~ it's really no one's damn business but yours!!!!! I keep reminding MWO folks that we are adults & DO NOT OWE anyone an explanation!

IF you want to answer someone - do what I do & simply tell them 'I feel better when I don't drink!!! You don't have to qualify or justify your statement, just change the subject or walk away

Usually the person who continues to pester you is the one who also has an AL problem but is still in denial.

You just keep doing what you're doing
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey PF, I have been thinking about it as well since Thanksgiving is almost upon us. I know my sister in law will say something and I am just going to say that I don't feel like having one at the moment and that I am trying to lose weight for our vaca in Feb. All of that is true. I may also say that it hasn't been agreeing with me lately and I have stopped for the time being. They are not big drinkers so I know that will suffice. My brothers are big drinkers but they won't even notice. I am really not all that concerned about it. I know no one will try to push it on me. I do understand in you being protective about it. I felt that way before I told my hubby. It's hard and very private. But if you say you don't want to talk about it they may really start pressuring you. Maybe just say you don't want to at this moment. I think as time goes by it will just become normal for them to see you without any.
        "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding." Elvis Costello

Comment

Totally understand... I have not discussed it with anyone yet... my hubby is out of town for an extended time and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to get myself back...
          I am just ending my 3rd day ... I want more time under my belt before I start to say anything

Comment

I am totally with Lav on this one xxx
            :dancin: enguin:
            starting over

Comment

I am sort of a WYSIWYG kinda guy, I wear my heart on my sleeve, I never really hid my "problem" with AL...all my real friends knew, and all my cyber friends(Im a LOT of message boards).

I thought Id also like them to know that I was quitting, so I told them, one and all. Ive had nothing but support from both real and cyber. It actually acts as some accountability for me....I kinda like that.
              Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Strange isn't it that we have to justify not drinking. Jason Vale says it, Lav says it (no. 1!) but learning to fit in socially without booze is quite an eye opener. Opens a great big can of worms. Once upon a time I didn't drink and it wasn't an issue. Now I'm spending energy on MOW getting off it; I'm out socially justifying it - well the fact I'm not doing it; and I'm on my own winging it (aargh), convincing myself I don't want it. It really does expend an awful lot of energy!
                You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Hi Nelz

I may be naive - but what's a WYSIWYG kind of a guy??!!

CB
                  You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

I think Nelz is a What You See Is What You Get kind of guy

You know, I never bothered hiding my drinking either. It just seems to me that everyone saw me in my 'drinking glory' they should be able to figure out why I am no longer drinking - duh!
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

I am a little surprised at how protective I am being - most times I am an open book to everyone. But this time - I am not even being a little transparent.

I couldn't have done this without y'all - because I did this without anyone else's support.

I was determined to do this myself - with your help. So thank you.
                      AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Lavande;1207576 wrote: I think Nelz is a What You See Is What You Get kind of guy

You know, I never bothered hiding my drinking either. It just seems to me that everyone saw me in my 'drinking glory' they should be able to figure out why I am no longer drinking - duh!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
                        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Nelz :H :H
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

I only drink at home cos we never go anywhere lol and have no family here either. So there's not really anyone to question me. I've told a few friends I've quit drinking but because I have other health problems, I just put it down to that. Only my husband knows how hard I'm finding it. Even so, I haven't told him about this site as I'm not sure how he'll take it.

It will be strange going home to family at Christmas and not drinking, they're not huge drinkers themselves though, so I don't think it will be an issue.

Comment

When I stopped drinking alcohol,My family & close friends were delighted but having told everyone that same story before no one really believed me,People outside that circle just didn't care if I drank or not.The main person that has to know your stopping or cutting down is oneself,once you yourself accept that and do it,everyone else is easy.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                              X