Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining the AF Ranks

Hi Everyone,

OK, I have been moderating "successfully" but have decided I want to stop completely. So, I'm here to get and give support and will join the newbies in the nest. Just putting it out here so I am accountable.

Drinking just isn't working for me anymore. Something has fundamentally changed - I've posted about how it disturbs my sleep consistently. Beyond that, though, I just want to experience life on a different level.

So, I'm embarking on a spiritual quest in conjunction with being sober. I really think for me that the two go together -- that the lack of spirituality in my life has fueled the drinking.

I just finished a book about Buddhism and the 12 Steps which was excellent (Burning Desire by Kevin Griffin). These books really are moving me toward a different goal and helping me embrace the idea of being sober. I've just started the Tao of Sobriety which I highly recommend too. It's helping me understand the different conflicting "voices" in my head - great stuff, really!

So appreciative for this site and all the excellent support.

Sending us all peace and strength.:l

Joining the AF Ranks

Good move UW. There are no negatives in being sober. Welcome to the truth.

Another book you may find good reading is 'Learning to live again' (a guide for recovery from chemical dependance). A co author is Tezza Gorski, who was involved in 'Tao of sobriety'.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

Good move UW. There are no negatives in being sober. Welcome to the truth.

Another book you may find good reading is 'Learning to live again' (a guide for recovery from chemical dependance). A co author is Terry Gorski, who was involved in 'Tao of sobriety'.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

Hi Unwasted, I'm glad you're still working on this. I offer you my full support and prayers. You are the one that really inspired me to continue on with the Jason Vale book almost 2 months ago. I think you inspired many others as well. I don't think I got the message of the book completely, but I am still re-reading and hoping to have more and more of it sink in as I read each time.

If you don't mind sharing, what has been your story these past 2 months? I know at first you were not drinking and not thinking about drinking either. And then it seems like something changed and you started to try and moderate. Do you have a different plan this time? I think your experience can help others who are in your same position (still sort of in that waffling stage, but close to getting it..... ME!)

I wish you much luck and success, Peace

PS.... I am with you on the spiritual journey, am on the same path as well.

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

G - thanks for the book title. I'll check it out. LFP, waffling is right.

I think I kept trying to moderate because my husband drinks and it was hard to be around him and not just lapse into a nice dinner with wine or beer. I just kept thinking "most people would love to be able to drink as little as I do, so why would I give that up"?

But, to answer your question, my pattern was this. I was drinking a little too much about a year ago when I found this site. I had some stressful things happen, moved up to drinking heavier than normal, and decided to do something. I had two really solid periods of AF 30 and 45 days, and then got things "under control" to where I completely stopped drinking during the week. But, even though I've made a very solid change by only drinking a couple of nights, the whole concept of drinking and trying to make sure I control it is still bugging me.

I guess the main thing is that no matter what, I always seem to drink a little more than I want to -- not much, but enough to disturb my sleep which makes me feel bad the next day. That's the biggest catalyst for me. And, I'm thinking, how absolutely tedious to even have to contemplate this stuff anymore. I just want to do something more productive - think about loftier goals, concentrate on spirituality - something other than the ups and downs of alcohol.

After a year of trying numerous things, I honestly believe that total sobriety is the absolute best even if one can moderate. That's saying a lot! Now, if I commit to this and go back to modding again, I'm going to say I have a bigger problem than I've been admitting. If that happens (and I may do this anyway just to make some AF friends), I will go to AA. The book I just read has given me a way to embrace the AA concept which I wasn't quite able to do before (the HP issue).

So, we'll see, but today is day 1 AF for me!

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

Unwasted;1208976 wrote:
            I think I kept trying to moderate because my husband drinks and it was hard to be around him and not just lapse into a nice dinner with wine or beer. I just kept thinking "most people would love to be able to drink as little as I do, so why would I give that up"?
            Hi UW

That must be quite difficult - shows how strong you are! Wishing you very happy day 1
            You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

CB, thanks! I'm not sure I'm strong, but I at least keep trying. There is definitely a part of me that is strong, just have to make it the domiant self LOL.

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

Unwasted, it's great to see you here and in the Newbies nest...I am also a nestling and I didn't get a chance to say hi over there so I will say it in your thread here. Looking forward to getting to know you better and I wish you the best on your AF journey. I'll join you!
                Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                :h

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

Unwasted;1209191 wrote: CB, thanks! I'm not sure I'm strong, but I at least keep trying. There is definitely a part of me that is strong, just have to make it the domiant self LOL.
                  Working on exactly that Unwasted, making the strong happy AF me the dominant self - and it's feeeeeling good
                  You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

Thanks guys - see you both in the Newbie's Nest. Appreciate your support!:l

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

UnWasted I was just looking for you to ask you about which books you had read on Buddhism and Eureka, I found you here telling me exactly that.

I'll join you. You and I are a lot alike my friend. I have been doing a lot of spiritual reading lately too. Finally read Eckhart Tolle's two books and am really into Marianne Williamson.

Hubby drinks too. He is not to blame as he does not push me to drink. It's all MY idea.

I wake up at 4:00 a.m even after two glasses of wine and have trouble getting back to sleep. When I wake up after only two glasses of wine the first thing that comes to mind is "Yuk, feel sludgy; Oh ya .. I drank last night."

UnWasted, I will order your books from KOBO (Kindle) and look forward to being spiritually enlightened which is far better than being alcohol poisoned, dumbed out, etc.

The journey re-begins.
                      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

Tips, well it's good to be on the same page with someone - sorry it's not under different circumstances but oh well. At least we can share ideas and help each other along.

I'm familiar with the people you're talking about here. Be sure to go to the holistic healing thread because we've got a really good discussion started. Red Thread 12 posted a must read -- don't miss it! Here's a link:

Holistic Healing - My Way Out Forums

Sending you peace and strength:l

Comment

Joining the AF Ranks

Unwasted it seems to me you are quite an inspirational person , and that you should be proud of yourself!!!!!! Also I'm going to join the newbies nest just figuring this website out !!!

My hubby also drinks and someti esthetes difficult as people are annoying when your sober hahaha!!!!
                          I must have been the most annoying person ever!!!!!
                          I am the master of my fate . I am the captain of my soul.

Had 10 weeks AF from 9-11-11 to 11-24-11

AF since 2/20/12

Goal no.1 - 1 week DONE !

Goal no.2 - 2 weeks.

Goal no.3 - 30 days.

Gaol no.4 - 10 weeks .

Comment

Working...
                          X