this has to end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this has to end

I have been lurking around this site for weeks. I really feels welcoming and just like the place I need to be. I just spent a very long Thanksgiving weekend drinking 1 bottle + of wine each day since Wednesday. My pattern for over 25 years has been almost daily drinking around a bottle of wine per day. Some years have been better than others. The last 3 years have been mostly daily drinking.

I am 51 years old and am just so sick and tired of this. I don't want to die like this. I want to be there for my disabled son. I don't want to embarass myself anymore. I don't want to hate myself anymore. I don't want to pass out in front of the TV anymore. I don't want to be obsessed with this anymore.

Thank you for any support you can give.

this has to end

Hi Martie

Good for posting and becoming part of MWO. It made a huge difference this time that I 've quit the AL.

You talk about embarrassing yourself... Check out the thread : " You know you're an alcoholic when..." in general discussion. Took me the whole weekend to read it and I feel so much better about myself!! But on a more serious note it shows you how bad it can get..

I drank more than what you describe, but too much is too much!!

Without AL you will also be able to better handle your son. We believe that AL helps us cope, but stick around and you'll find how it makes it worse.

Go well.:l
    SH
    12-20-2012 AF
    Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

this has to end

Hi Martie, great & brave decision to post, don't beat yourself up, be proud you are courageous enough to make a change for the better. There's some fantastic support on here & enough people who will kick your mental butt (gently) when required, folk genuinely care about each other. I never thought I'd be able to stop drinking, I know it's early days yet but I am so thankful I am breaking free from the booze. Just over a month in, feeling FANTASTIC and have lost weight to boot.
      AL free since 24 October 2011

Comment

this has to end

Hi Martie this link is way to get started https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

this has to end

Hi Martie

Let me add to what Steady and Nollie have written. I was drinking a lot more than you are and in a mess. Like you I wanted freedom from the drudgery that AL brings. I know it sounds corny, but if I can do it then anyone can ! I just completed day 24 and feel so much better now. Still an odd little crave for it but nothing compared with what it was. My small piece of advice to you is to have a plan and then work the plan. Personally I researched AL before I stopped and got hold of a copy of Jason Vales book, kick the drink...easily. These two things helped me to get started. My personal choice was not to rid the house of alcoholic drinks but to learn to live with it around me. I have been to a few bars now without problem and drink long soft drinks. I have convinced myself that I can have AL if I want to but I choose not to. I have convinced myself that I don't want to drink it any more, so I don't. Those little things are a part of my plan and I am making my plan work for me.

Your plan may be a little different to mine, but work one out anyway and then stick to it. You'll be surprised how it works.

Don't misunderstand me, it won't be easy. I know that in my own case there are some serious challenges ahead and I hope that I am ready to face them. If I waver or fail then there are so many good people here who will help to put me back on track. Everyone here knows what you are going through and everyone wants to help. Good luck, have fun formulating your plan and stay around here !

Comment

this has to end

Steady Hands, I read the "you know you're an alcoholic when...." thread and I posted one of my stories today. Some of it made me laugh, some made me cry.

Timpin, I will buy the Jason Vale book you mentioned... what is the approach he takes? It sounds like it resounded with you.

Everyone else, thanks for responding. It's really heartening.

:thanks:

Comment

this has to end

Hi Martie!

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!
              I'm from Pennsylvania too

I've been around here for nearly three years & feel like a new person. My life is not perfect but oh so much better
              I started by downloading the MWO book from the Health store here on the site. It's a good place to start & has lots of info about supplements, Hypnotherapy, diet & exercise - all important when you are rebuilding your life. There is also info about Rx meds if you choose to use them.

Read the book & use the great ideas in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html to help you make your plan!

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

this has to end

Dear Martie, welcome aboard! Trust the Universe...it brought you here. And trust that voice inside you that is telling you that enough is enough. I also drank 1 plus bottles of wine a day...red wine was my preference. I am in my late 30's and did that since my early 20's...I woke up one morning and said the same thing to myself. I luckily found this wonderful site and am on my way to a sober life. Stick around, we all want you to succeed! A big warm welcome to you. I also saw you over in the Newbies Nest, which is also a wonderful place to be
                Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                :h

Comment

this has to end

Martie

dido to all the above, you will be so happy you found this place... we are kicking AL with out rehab, AA etc in the privacy of our homes ... this is a safe and supportive place to be

Comment

this has to end

Hi Martie - I too was a bottle of wine drinker for about 6 or 7 years of my life - most nights of the week. There was always a reason to drink! And like you I got sick of it. Even though I haven't been perfect this past yer I'm a lot better than I was a year ago. I am now on a mission to get this obsession completely out of my life once and for all.

There's lots of great advice here - stick around and we can do this together!

Comment

this has to end

Well, I did better last night. Had 2 glasses of wine, not small ones, but not a full bottle. I think what helped was browsing through here and not having my first one until 7:30pm. My usual time is around 5pm. I am ready to commit to not having any tonite. My plan is to excersize today, read, meditate, make dinner, take my son to speech therapy and do several loads of laundry. I will also read through this site. I want to commit to abstaining forever but am afraid of life without alcohol and am also afraid to failing and not wanting to post about it. So, I will start with today.:thanks:

Comment

this has to end

Good luck Martie! I still struggle with the 5PM witching hour...just remember cravings are only cravings and I find if you eat something substantial, they will go away. Just ride it out and make sure to stick to your plan. Come on here and read! Best of luck!
                        Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                        :h

Comment

this has to end

Hi Martie

Well done with the cut down to two glasses. Forget the bit about life without alcohol for a few days until you get into the swing of not drinking. That will come later. I am sure some people on here may get a little frustrated with me banging on about Jason Vales book, but you will learn so much in it and I hope it works for you too. He will explain why, when you give up AL, you are giving up nothing at all ! Please stay on the forum and let us know how you are getting on and how you feel.

I went to an event today where they were giving away free samples of every alcohol you can imagine ! I gave up looking around that hall when I couldn't find a stall selling non alcoholic drinks so went and had a cup of tea. So pleased with myself. Best bit came when I was offered a taste of the cider and I immediately replied ' I don't drink' That gave me a real buzz !

Comment

this has to end

Good advice Timpin. If I cant a wrap my head around no alcohol forever right now, why worry about it at the moment. Just get on with it and hopefully the idea of forever will come soon. Anyway, I got the Kick the Drink book on Kindle. I just started it and it certainly is very different, in a good way. Thanks

Comment

this has to end

Kick the Drink is a great book! I hope it helps you as much as it helped me. Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X