A couple of thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of thoughts...

I know some people feel uncomfortable when offered a drink and don?t know quite what to say. I?ve found a very simple answer; I say ?Alcohol just doesn?t agree with me anymore?. This is the TRUTH (they don?t need to know the sordid details behind that comment). Hot and spicy foods don?t agree with me either, it just is what it is.

I?ve also told people that I can?t drink alcohol anymore because it gives me heartburn and I don?t want to be up all night. Also the truth! I think that sometimes we worry so much about what other people are going to think about us if we don?t drink?when in reality we are far more concerned about it than they are. I guess the point I?m trying to make is this: Just keep it simple. You don?t owe anyone an explanation.

Maybe some will think this approach is too simple, or easier said than done. But you never know until you try, I?d bet you?d be surprised that most people will drop the issue pretty quickly.

I hope my 2 cents will help some of you. Every aspect of fighting this beast DOES get easier in time, so please stay strong. I like to repeat to myself my two favorite sayings:

1) A craving will never last as long as a hangover; and
    2) Nobody ever wakes up in the morning wishing they?d got drunk the night before

Peace and strength everyone!!!

K9
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

A couple of thoughts...

GREAT advice Nine. Gee I miss you bouncing around the boards. PLEASE post more often!!!
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

ditto what Techie said!!
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

Thanks for the post K9!

So true!! I have been realizing myself how little other people really notice what I'm drinking! :thanks:

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

Great post K9. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You are a real fighter you know. I am constantly amazed and delighted by your 'never say die' spirit.

Keep it going friend! :goodjob:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

Great post Niners especially with Christmas coming up!
            "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

That's really something to think about. I know I was afraid to be labelled an alcoholic if I didn't drink. I kept thinking about how embarrassing that would be. But you are so right, people really aren't that concerned about us not drinking, unless it points the finger at their drinking. Misery loves company.

There are a half a dozen things we can say when offered a drink that wouldn't even be lies. It's just best to be short and to the point and really not lie. No
              One really cares, in fact they are probably a little jealous.

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

That's perfect!! I was using headache and it sometimes led to jokes like - well you don't have to drink the whole bottle - har har har.... Heartburn is better!
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

K9,
                  Honestly, I couldn't care less what other people drink & I just don't allow anyone to question me!
                  We're all adults here, right?
                  Keep up the great work!!!!
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

Lavande;1224864 wrote: K9,
                    We're all adults here, right?
                    ermmmmm.... tipsy people at a party wanting you to drink? No. Not adult-like at all!
                    sigpic
                    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

K9Lover;1224683 wrote:

1) A craving will never last as long as a hangover; and
                      2) Nobody ever wakes up in the morning wishing they?d got drunk the night

K9
                      I like these K9 - gonna stick up as affirmations. :thanks: :h
                      You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

Great thread K9. I also love your 2 sayings and it has helped me more than a few times when I think oh just tonight I'll have a few. I have ALWAYS felt regret the morning after, always, always always. It sucks when you let the most important person down - yourself.

But it is such a wonderful feeling when you wake up in the morning so free and absolutely proud that you have not poisoned yourself.

This weekend I have the easy reply of "I'm driving" but I will definitely use the others when needed. I train a lot for triathlons so I tell people I've got a big training day tomorrow, and they always say "Oh you can have just one". How little they realize that is an IMPOSSIBILITY for me. 1 drink = 100.

:h

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

I was using what a friend in the UK used - which was I am on a total detox. This worked for about 30 days and then people were WTF?

I think (Lav's no excuses thing notwithstanding - I am in a job where some social drinking is pretty expected) I am going to opt with K-9's "It wakes me up with heartburn later.". Which is totally true. :-)
                          That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                          Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

Hi K9

Good thread and GREAT 2 sayings!!

Question: I feel I can say WHATEVER to people I don't know well, but I am worried about people close to me. The people who knew and gossiped about it... How do you shut them up with your dignity held high?

I have this situation where my ex husband's brother's wife once took my baby of my lap, because she thought I was too pissed to hold him. Shame on me and she was right, but the way she explained it to me on a later date and animated my drunkeness really upset me! Now she is the type of person that would not buy "heartburn"/"detox" etc. My ex hubs, her hubs and grand dad are all problem drinkers. I quit the cigs 5 months ago and now the AL. She also gets upset about her husband's AL use and we used to talk about it back while I was still drinking and I told her how I wanted to change it .I had very little contact with any friends or fam since my quit, because the temptation would've been too much and I was a real b!t@#H!! Still am. I feel that I had to face and endure this difficulty on my own and that I don't have time for people who wants to suck info out of me for gossip's sake, but would not ACT in any way. Her dear hubs is a lawyer and feels he can ask you anything and out smart you with it and the cherry on the cake is grandpa - the advocate!

And we're going to spend 15 days together this holiday...

I seriously don't feel like explaining myself, but what do I answer if they ask why?

WHY NOT?
                            12-20-2012 AF
                            Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

Steady Hands, I don't know if this is a possibility for you, but here's what I say (it happens to be true in my case):

Alcohol has really been messing with my sleep. If I have even a very small amount of liquor, I wake up at 3 in the morning and can't go back to sleep. I started researching about the connection between alcohol and sleep and found tons of information about how alcohol disrupts sleep, especially the critical REM sleep. So, I wake up feeling tired and horrible even if I haven't had much to drink. It's almost as if I've developed an allergy to it. Now, after having experimented a bit and realized how remarkably I sleep, I don't even want to drink anymore.

Now, that blurb works for me in my situation - it may not for you but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

In closing, I'd like to say that it's amazing to me that we have to justify not putting a drug in our body. As Jason Vale says, your friends wouldn't think it was weird if you said you'd decided to stop shooting up heroin or snorting cocaine, would they?

Crazy world...............................

Comment

Working...
                              X