Day one newbie. Nervous but excited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow - thank you KTAB and Unwasted for your fab posts of encouragement. Other people's reactions to me quitting have always bothered me in the past but I'm definitely not going to let it bother me this time; I'll just shut myself off to it, somehow. I think that, when previous quits have gone wrong, it's partly been due to peer pressure. But I musn't blame others for my lack of staying power! Only I can do this.... with the help of this site which has seriously been the best tool I have found so far to beat Al (and I've spent many an hour trawling the internet during hungover days, searching for a miracle!)

Thank you,

Cellist

(On my way to bed for an early night at the end of Day 2)
    "Lose your bottle and gain your courage" (Jason Vale, "Kick the Drink...Easily!")

Comment

Hi Cellist,

I just wanted to welcome you and say hello. The support here is amazing and it got me through some tight spots. Reading and posting here is very therapeutic for me.

I found the concepts of "urge surfing" and the "witching hour" to be very helpful in the very beginning.

Unwasted just posted this which I think is also probably a very solid technique although I haven't tried it yet: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...hit-54104.html

I have never regretted quitting drinking once. Maybe your friends who have a negative reaction to you quitting have their own issue with alcohol? It shouldn't be a big deal to anyone, if someone chooses not to drink.
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Pinecone;1229592 wrote:
        I found the concepts of "urge surfing" and the "witching hour" to be very helpful in the very beginning.
        It doesn't fail to surprise me how much we all have in common. These two concept were huge for me, too. At the end of the day, I really believe conquering this addiction lies in learning to think differently.
        ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
        -----------------------------------
        Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Hello!

Just checking in, half way through Day 5. Had a couple of hairy moments on Days 3 & 4 (especially when cooking an Italian meal on Day 3, when I'd usually pour myself a large glass of Vino Collapso to "assist" the cooking process...) but I survived them and didn't drink Thanks to everyone for their support, I've never known a community quite like this one... will be visiting on a daily basis for the foreseeable future!

Cellist x
          "Lose your bottle and gain your courage" (Jason Vale, "Kick the Drink...Easily!")

Comment

Just sending you a High 5 Cellist. Well done on getting through some tough situations so far.

Comment

Working...
            X