Preventing slips........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preventing slips........

It is true that we have to think about taking a drink before we actually take one, The thought always comes before the act, and yet the thoughts that come before taking a drink are often largely subconscious, People usually don't know consciously what made them do it, Therefore the common practice in a lot of alcohol forums/communities is to call these things slips, For instance, some of us dream about being drunk when we are asleep, even after several years of sobriety ,during our drinking days our subconscious minds have been thoroughly conditioned by our alcoholic ways of thinking and it is doubtful if they ever become entirely free of such thoughts during our lifetime, But when our conscious minds are fully conditioned against drinking we can stay sober & our subconscious minds do not bother us. impo

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Preventing slips........

Nice one Mario xxxxx
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Preventing slips........

It is a natural reaction, booze has been your coping mechanism for so many years, so when you think of something stressful, you automatically think of how you are going to cope with it....and your mind goes straight to the tried and tested.
      What you need to realise is...IT IS JUST A THOUGHT...nothing more...a thought, it is not a command, an instruction, a requirement, an order, a necessity or something on your to do list.
      Recognise it for what it is, acknowledge it, understand that it is just your brain leading you to old, ingrained habits, know that you DO NOT have to act on it and understand that you have new habits now and they don't involve booze.

The very fact that you are questioning these thoughts shows that your brain already knows that something has changed and sends out those warning signals.

Remember, we NEVER have to act on thoughts Mollers, thats all they are. You will deal with Jilly's departure without booze because you don't drink. Period.

posted by one2many,

deadly :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Preventing slips........

Thank you Mario
        Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Preventing slips........

Posted by KTAB

By not drinking this Chrimbo not sure what I am going to miss but I know I am going to gain:
          1. no hangover on waking Chrimbo morning and in no humour to open pressies or take the dogs out after
          2. followed by no sick stomach and inability to eat my dinner
          3. no opening a bottle of wine before midday when prep-ing dinner to take the edge off
          4. no opening a second bottle of red when serving dinner cause the first one has a large hole in it
          5. no opening a bottle of white for dw, when she only drinks 1 or 2 at most all day and I know I will polish it off
          6. no more talking to my family abroad on the phone half cut and not remembering the next day exactly what was spoken of
          7. no passing out in front of the tv at 4pm snoring and farting
          7. no waking in time to be fed more food on a tray in front of the tv which I dont really want but at least its an excuse to pour more drink
          8. no talking loud through the evening film that my family are trying to enjoy or repeating myself constantly
          9. no more staying up finishing the bottles and watching any old crap on the tv alone because my family have quite rightly decided that at 2 am it is way past bed time
          10. no more waking the next day and starting the cycle again, and thinking 'WELL IT IS CHRISTMAS EVERYONE GETS PISSED DONT THEY'???

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Preventing slips........

Good thread & posts Mario & Oney, I agree.
            I believe I am powerless over the effects that alcohol has over me BUT I am not powerless to ignore those thoughts and cravings. I have to consciously make that choice to put the first sip of AL to my lips, nobody pours it down my throat. While the thought may have come without my realising it, the physical action is not automatic.

Have a Happy Sober Christmas folks, I dont think anyone would regret that.
            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Preventing slips........

Thanks for the great posts! I'm looking forward to a sober Christmas. It will be tough but I'm determined to conquer this. Much better to wake up on Christmas morning/new year's day with a clear head and bundles of energy than to see in Christmas/new year hungover and feeling sorry for myself.

Cello x

DAY 2 and feeling good (ish)
              "Lose your bottle and gain your courage" (Jason Vale, "Kick the Drink...Easily!")

Comment

Preventing slips........

GOOD for you Cellist and remember, there is always someone on here, day or night if you are feeling a bit wobbly!

AF 10th May 2010
                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Preventing slips........

Thanks for this thread, Mario. At Christmas we need lots of encouragement to ride out the cravings and the "I deserve a drink" mentality that overrides common sense and commitment.

I, too, am committed to a sober Christmas season and have so much work to do that I need my sobriety to manage it and enjoy my baby granddaughter. No glass of wine while I'm rocking baby to sleep.

Keep the coping threads going you successful ones PLEASE... we strugglers really need them.

Thanks a million.
                  Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                  ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Preventing slips........

Good posts and a memory

The thing written about drinking wine while cooking compelled me to remember something from long ago.
                    I was living in a crummy apartment, and though red wine was not my thing I had a bottle of it. I was supposed to be trying to quit at this time. (And talk about a slow learner! This was about 29 years ago!) I did not have a corkscrew and I now remember knocking the top off of the bottle with something and drinking the wine-to hell with drinking the glass as well. !!!

I have mentioned the reaching my personal bottom, and I believe that when I allow the memories to surface, they are helping me as well. By that I mean the stark realization that I was really messed up a LONG time ago. By that I mean more recent memories about drinking are bad enough, but I have years of awful stuff to recall.

I don't let this drag me down. I don't dwell on it. I just marvel at how blind and delusional I was about the level of self-destruction. Again I must say I cannot imagine how my husband tolerated me for 22 years!

But now is good and fine and each day has it's own lessons.
                    Thanks to all of you for being here!

Comment

Preventing slips........

There is no coincidence regarding the timing of this post Mario. I had a function that I “had” to attend Saturday evening that there would definitely be champagne and wine served at a sit-down dinner. I had been stressing about this event for some time. Last week I had a drinking dream and in my dream I always drank and couldn’t really tell you why. It just happen and that was it. I had no control over the drink being poured down my throat and it just ended up being so. I was struggling last week with my commitment to be totally abstinent long term. I was struggling with the notion that I was not really that bad in the big scheme of things. Blah…blah…blah. I was extremely nervous about Saturday night. I really felt like I had no control – the demon was going to put that drink in my hand and make me drink it. So I was definitely setting my self up way before the event sub consciencely to loose the control. Maybe not Saturday, but some time. The little wheels were in motion.

I had to have a “come to jesus” moment with myself. “Self” -- I said -- “you have all the control and you can do this”. Nobody can take this away from you but YOU. And...and you really do not want to go back to drinking (ever). Just don’t drink and don’t think for one minute…and on and on and on…well you get the picture. I was actually afraid someone or something (besides me) was going to take my sobriety away from me.

I now know how important my sobriety is to me and how little power the “booze brain” has over me. Well...it is loosing it's grip anyway. I am in control and no one else, and no one can take this away from me. And I can do it.

Comment

Preventing slips........

Mario - I really needed to read this - thank you so much.
                        I am having on and off drinking thoughts - I am just over 6 weeks af - the longest for a long time and I feel loads better/happier.

My life is so much better now i don't waste my weekend by waking at midday feeling awful, having to go back to bed, not wanting to do anything,feeling shaky/ poisoned,spending tonnes of money and not remembering it then doing it all again.
                        one day at a time

Comment

Preventing slips........

one2many;1229163 wrote: Posted by KTAB

By not drinking this Chrimbo not sure what I am going to miss but I know I am going to gain:
                          1. no hangover on waking Chrimbo morning and in no humour to open pressies or take the dogs out after
                          2. followed by no sick stomach and inability to eat my dinner
                          3. no opening a bottle of wine before midday when prep-ing dinner to take the edge off
                          4. no opening a second bottle of red when serving dinner cause the first one has a large hole in it
                          5. no opening a bottle of white for dw, when she only drinks 1 or 2 at most all day and I know I will polish it off
                          6. no more talking to my family abroad on the phone half cut and not remembering the next day exactly what was spoken of
                          7. no passing out in front of the tv at 4pm snoring and farting
                          7. no waking in time to be fed more food on a tray in front of the tv which I dont really want but at least its an excuse to pour more drink
                          8. no talking loud through the evening film that my family are trying to enjoy or repeating myself constantly
                          9. no more staying up finishing the bottles and watching any old crap on the tv alone because my family have quite rightly decided that at 2 am it is way past bed time
                          10. no more waking the next day and starting the cycle again, and thinking 'WELL IT IS CHRISTMAS EVERYONE GETS PISSED DONT THEY'???
                          Love your posts Oney, you are a real inspiration.

Read another of yours about how Christmas can be spent and could really relate.
                          I will keep this one in mind for the next few days.
                          Thanks
                          Damo
                          x...
                          Still trying !!!
                          AF 25th June2014

Comment

Preventing slips........

mario;1229111 wrote: It is true that we have to think about taking a drink before we actually take one, The thought always comes before the act, and yet the thoughts that come before taking a drink are often largely subconscious, People usually don't know consciously what made them do it, Therefore the common practice in a lot of alcohol forums/communities is to call these things slips, For instance, some of us dream about being drunk when we are asleep, even after several years of sobriety ,during our drinking days our subconscious minds have been thoroughly conditioned by our alcoholic ways of thinking and it is doubtful if they ever become entirely free of such thoughts during our lifetime, But when our conscious minds are fully conditioned against drinking we can stay sober & our subconscious minds do not bother us. impo

Damo
                            Still trying !!!
                            AF 25th June2014

Comment

Preventing slips........

thanks Mario
                              they are just thoughts.....they are just thoughts.....
                              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X