Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgetting our past failures

Living today "you never do anything right"
    Some of us carry this accusation deep in our minds, Perhaps from childhood. We remember past mistakes & failures, Sometimes dredging them up again when new failures occur. When we do this, we unduly burden ourselves with a past that should be released & forgotten. The result of past mistakes was a feeling of inadequacy and helplessness that prolonged our sickness. In those troubled days, we were trying to solve our problems in ways that actually made the problems worse, on that path, there was no hope of a real solution.
    Today our failure & mistakes are but signs that we are still human and still fall short of perfection, but now we can use failure to good advantage and even learn from it, Our best progress will come when we separate ourselves from the mistakes and failures of the past.Go for it everyone , Beating this monster can be done,Whether your a newbie or not, keep posting your thoughts and feelings as we all started here in the same boat and lots of us are still on board to give a helping hand :welcome:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Mario, thanks for this. The thoughts in head today are all about regrets and failure. You have given me food for thought. Happy New Year, I am going to make sure this is a better one!
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Thanks Mario

Great post today. We can't change the past, but we can change the habit of dwelling on it
      and beating ourselves up over it.
      After 3 months I'm just realizing that dealing with life minute by minute, without inebriation
      is very interesting. There's no drinking at the end of the day to look forward to, then regret
      when things go terribly wrong. Your time becomes your own to accomplish all the things that were put off or ignored.
      As I've mentoned my daughter is in the Navy, and now wants her birth certificate. I thought I had it, but the search has brought up all sorts of emotions. Old journals with writings of trying
      desperately to quit drinking, her "baby book", all sorts of things from the past.
      I suppose the notion that aging=wisdom is true, or it can be if you open your eyes wide.
      One day at a time I will do the best I can. And that's enough.

Comment

mario;1237197 wrote: Living today "you never do anything right"
        Some of us carry this accusation deep in our minds, Perhaps from childhood. We remember past mistakes & failures, Sometimes dredging them up again when new failures occur. When we do this, we unduly burden ourselves with a past that should be released & forgotten. The result of past mistakes was a feeling of inadequacy and helplessness that prolonged our sickness. In those troubled days, we were trying to solve our problems in ways that actually made the problems worse, on that path, there was no hope of a real solution.
        Today our failure & mistakes are but signs that we are still human and still fall short of perfection, but now we can use failure to good advantage and even learn from it, Our best progress will come when we separate ourselves from the mistakes and failures of the past.Go for it everyone , Beating this monster can be done,Whether your a newbie or not, keep posting your thoughts and feelings as we all started here in the same boat and lots of us are still on board to give a helping hand :welcome:
        thankyou Mario, it seemed liked you know exactly what i am thinking. I to was thinking about past mistakes and failures and being called stupid and lazy by my father when i was a kid. I know i have to let go, thanks again for the great read

Comment

Good words Mario & Twitt ~~ Mario your post brought a smile to my face, thank you. Twitt yours rang true as my father also made me feel dumb and incapable. I guess I still carry it around and maybe it is time to set the load down. AL has always had a way of covering up things and not letting me work through the crap. Time for peace within. Thanks guys, Happy New Year.

Comment

thanks mario. i think that is so true for a lot of us here. hiding feelings with al and continuing the cycle of failure feelings
            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

thanks Mario, wise words as always Ann21 thank you also, I am hoping that being AL free will allow me to accomplish things I have put on the back burner and finally be successful
              Taking it ODAT

Comment

Thank you for this Mario - much appreciated.
                That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Well said Mario and by others on this thread. We do need to remember not to dwell on our feelings of failure. I definitely needed to hear that and will use your wise words to inspire me today. Start making better decisions, and trying should never be a failure.

Good luck for an AF day everyone!

Comment

Working...
                  X