The TLC thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The TLC thread

Hi everyone, I have decided to cut myself some slack and stop being so hard on myself, I have just realised how hard it is going to be to cut AL out of my life even though I really want to because it is something I have become conditioned to 'enjoy' and I am going to feel deprived of it even though I no longer want it (if you see what I mean!)

Anyway, I thought it might be nice if we all shared how to give ourselves some TLC on the way to recovery (let's keep it clean though :H) and hopefully help each other to get through the rocky stages

Today I went back to bed after my son went to his grandmas and had a lovely long sleep for two hours then I finished painting a canvas and went for a walk (in the rain!) I really need to do more things for myself instead of rushing around doing boring chores!!

What nice thing have you done for yourself today?
    Taking it ODAT

The TLC thread

Hi mauri - I think you've touched on an important topic. Many of us - when we quit - run around catching up on all the household chores - organization - cupboards - cleaning - that were neglected while we were drinking. It does feel good to get those things done - but in my own experience - you can burn out on them, and start feeling that the sober life is rather boring - if all you do is clean out closets and make sure the kitchen is spotless before going to bed!

I've made a list of these types of things - as they come to my mind. So that I can go to it when I am going in circles trying to figure out what todo next....I can look at my list and say - OH! I wanted to - play the piano - or pick out paint for the guest room - or start a new painting - or read my book.
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

The TLC thread

GREAT idea for a thread!

I might treat myself to a chipper later

Had a lovely lie on this morn tho, could have got up to do the washing but I said Nahhhhhhh and turned over!
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

The TLC thread

I have so many unread BOOKS that have been calling me for months. Piano, karaoke, long walks in the bush, writing that novel....
        Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
        ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

The TLC thread

I have immersed myself in tireless research of how to plan/design, set-up, and maintain my own little piece of the ocean, right in my very own house.

Actually went out and bought the tank a few weeks ago. The live rock/sand, and base rock is all in. My shrimp is decomposing, setting off the nitrogen cycle in the tank.

In a few weeks Ill be adding the fish. Its pretty cool designing your own little ecosystem. Its amazing how everything in the tank needs and works off each other.

At the moment I can only look at rocks, but in about 9 months to a year, it should be really specatacular!

Its a "nano" tank, meaning a smaller version, so Im limited to the amount of livestock I can put in.

Start with 2 of these guys

And this funny guy.......the grayish/black one, he makes me laugh
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3fdzJugwno&feature=youtu.be[/video]]

Rather spend money of that than AL anyday Attached files [img]/converted_files/1748251=6582-attachment.jpg[/img]
          Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

The TLC thread

what a good idea dodo.
            nelz, i love the mini ocean. i have a fish tank, just tropical not marine and i get so much pleasure out of it... damn site more entertaining than the telly.
            my TLC today has been cuddling my kitten 'toto'. he's poorly and been to the vets. ive had a lovely time cuddling him and listening to audio tape of ''alice through the looking glass'.... so glad i didn't use poorly pet as an excuse to drink. next i will have a relaxing bath with some nice smelly stuff. hope you are having some nice TLC.... WE DESERVE IT!
            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

The TLC thread

What a great idea! My choice now is 1) sit here and watch DH snore on the sofa or 2) go upstairs to my den and listen to a great relaxer cd. Guess which one I'll choose?
              Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
              (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

The TLC thread

Nelz my OH is desperate to get a fish tank, I just know my 2 year old would trash it though!!

I have done some more hennaing this evening, another canvas for my range and now I am going to have some veg soup and then an episode of a diet programme to motivate me!

Have a good evening everyone x
                Taking it ODAT

Comment

The TLC thread

I?ve just discovered that my local gym has a proper finnish sauna (well, you did say clean).
                  I need to learn to find ways of resolving my issues without using alcohol, it?s only a comfort and distraction for the moment, in the long run it only makes things worse.

One day at a time, slowly edging my way towards "week"

Comment

The TLC thread

Wow great tread Mauri i have a book to start later and i also have a few dvds from the library i haven't gotten round to watching. Going to walk up and back to my local credit union this afternoon. 20 mins or so there and back and stop for a coffee on the way back. Its cold today but bright and sunny.

Comment

The TLC thread

Thanks everyone, I need motivation so badly and also rewards for achieving my goals (a bit like my two year old really ha ha) I have just ordered a book that was recommended on here and looking forward to reading it once it arrives, can't remember the title !
                      Taking it ODAT

Comment

The TLC thread

mauritiusdodo;1239177 wrote: Thanks everyone, I need motivation so badly and also rewards for achieving my goals (a bit like my two year old really ha ha) I have just ordered a book that was recommended on here and looking forward to reading it once it arrives, can't remember the title !
                        Kick the Drink?
                        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

The TLC thread

what a great thread. Me? Well, I've been thinking that a pedi would be a terrible indulgence but what the heck I'm worth it so that's what I'll do early next week. AND I'm going to put a bunch of stuff in the basement and I'm NOT going to ask my DH's permission!!! That will be a first - low self esteem or WHAT??
                          Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                          (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

The TLC thread

MWOLady;1239242 wrote: what a great thread. Me? Well, I've been thinking that a pedi would be a terrible indulgence but what the heck I'm worth it so that's what I'll do early next week. AND I'm going to put a bunch of stuff in the basement and I'm NOT going to ask my DH's permission!!! That will be a first - low self esteem or WHAT??
                            Let us know how it goes, okay? I understand completely. Somewhere along the line we learned to give up/give in too easily. Someone on here once said we shouldn't let anyone take our power from us. I like that.
                            "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Working...
                            X