Its not sad not to drink.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a time that I used to think it was sad I couldn't drink, but that's when I was drinking and stuck in deprivation mode. It finally dawned on me that if I keep telling myself it's sad that I can't drink, I'm gonna feel sad that I can't drink, and want to drink even more because it's something I've told myself I can't do. Truth is, I can drink whenever I want, but I now choose not to because I don't like the person I become when I do or the havoc it wreaks on my life & others. There are a lot of people who can't & dont drink in the world and live very happy and fulfilling lives, and so can you, but not if you keep telling yourself it's so sad. I just hate to see you or anyone falling into that trap because I've been there, done that, and learned the hard way, it just doesn't work !Get moving forward in your life check out the tool box thread https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html :goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Hi Mario

Great post and very true
    thanks

Patrice

Comment

You always have such inspiring posts Mario!
      For me, im not sad at all. I'm awake and alive for the first time in a long time.
      My rant post is just blowing off a little steam, ya know? Everything that we do that is worthwhile is difficult at times. Parenting, losing weight, climbing mount everest, building a house, etc. Sometimes for me anyway, it helps to admit that it sucks sometimes on the way to the top but we are still climbing.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.
      Day 1 again 11/5/19
      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

So true Mario! I always feel soooooooo much better once sober, but have been a relapse Queen! get anxious and discouraged ... ugh!
        Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

thanks Mario,
          yes we tend to think of what we are missing instead of what we have gained. I did that the last 2 times but now on my 3rd quit i feel different. i'm not sad, or bored or angry or anxious.. and its very freeing.

caper
          caper
          AF since Sept 2013...
          :alf:

Comment

Well said, but what CAN we drink?

I can drink lovely, lovely dark roast coffee with real rich cream

and lemon ginger herbal tea

and Earl Grey tea ( my personal fav)

And pineapple juice - pure luxury

and cranberry juice - makes my lips pucker up into kissin' mode!!

and hot chocolate made with coconut milk!!

and Fiji water (expensive but hey, I'm worth it :h)

and....ok folks step up.....
            Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
            (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Good post Mario , i used to look at people, who didn't drink who said that they were happy and think that they were crazy ........... i don't now but i can see drinkers looking at me in the same way as i looked at non drinkers . It's a funny old world
              AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Excellent point Mario!
                I have noticed that when I changed my thinking from feeling deprived to feeling grateful that I don't have to drink, it made all the difference in the world to me.
                Like you said, we CAN drink anytime we want to. But as most of us have learned the hard way, drinking just isn't fun anymore. It's the cause of most of our problems. So instead of being sad that we can't drink, we can now be happy that we don't have to!
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Thanks Mario,

Feeling deprived only makes us spin our wheels and not move forward in the process. I think the first step in making real progress is to have gratitude that alcohol is no longer in one's life.
                  2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

I LOVE having a clear head, and waking up sober and hangover free.
                    I love that I have ao much extra time when I don't factor in drinking and recuperating.
                    Money money money
                    I'm sleeping so much better
                    I respect myself.
                    Day 1 again 11/5/19
                    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Mario, thanks for the inspiration, I and a lot of others I'm sure appreciate your words of wisdom. So far so good for me AF for 2012. Had a great weekend in the mountains, drove a tractor all day today in shirt sleeve weather, just watching the clouds, birds, airplanes and a gorgeous sunset, up and down the rows of the vineyard never seemed so relaxing. I'm starting to feel my creativity start to emerge. Looking forward to working on my photography and new vineyard designs. Been sleeping a lot better too. Hope we can all start to look at this as a relief and not so much as a burden and battle.
                      Take Care WW:thanks:
                      100 days 04-10-12, entering the danger zone, Rodger that!

6 months July 1st

Comment

Mario - true wisdom my friend.
                        When we hold on to that deprivation thinking we live in misery and eventually will relapse. For me acceptance was the single biggest tool in my sobriety. I accepted right at the start that I couldn't be like the so called everyone else, in fact I told myself I was glad I was different! This whole experience has been incredible and going from who I was to who I am now an amazing journey. It's much more sad to see people who think drink is their only chance at having a good time, what a waste......
                        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                        AF - JAN 1st 2010
                        NF - May 1996

Comment

great post mario, i need to readjust my headspace to think that.
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Mario I love your post it really helps me out alot I'm on day 18 and I have to stop looking past today. You really knocked itto my head Yes I can drink anytime I want to I choose not .

Comment

Thanks Mario. I really think your post has the key I'm looking for to crack this problem. Most of the time I'm able to feel not deprived - but sometiimes it's work. I need to work more on my gratitude. :thanks:

Comment

Working...
                              X