When do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do I start?

I'm new here and desperate to kick my gin guzzling habit. I knew the New Year start wouldn't work for me so I've earmarked this week to stop. After reading lots of motivating stuff I finally feel ready as I'm really worried my health is going to give out. I just wanted to know if anyone found it good to have their last drink on a Saturday night because it's psychologically easier to be alcohol free on a Sunday, getting the week off to a good start. Here's to getting my life back!

When do I start?

Its ultimately your choice when and if you stop. If you are asking my opinion as to what day would best be suited, Id have told you a week ago....but looks like that option wont work.

Second best day would be today.......I think there is just too much anxiety built up on that last day. If you are serious about quitting, then remove all the AL from your house "today" and start the journey "today"

So join our little club today, and when you wake up tomorrow, you are already one day closer to being sober for two days.
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

When do I start?

Hi Ginblaster!

I quit smoking on a Monday and quit drinking on a Friday...
      There is no sience behind it. Quit smokes on a Monday, because I didn't want to stink around others and enjoyed my weekend till the cigs was done. I joined MWO on a Thursday and Quit Friday 11-11-11, because I love playing Lotto and numbers and thought I'll take a chance...

Since you posted your thoughts already I would go with that. It is perfect. Get the worst of the hangover done on Sunday while you have privacy and start Monday fresh and ready for a great AF life!

Best wishes.
      SH
      12-20-2012 AF
      Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

When do I start?

Each person is different.

Example: I decided to start getting fit starting on 1/2/12. That weekend we went out & hubby said he'd bring up my eliptical from the basement to the family room. Well, hubby didn't & it's still in the basement. I had so many "yummy" leftovers that I couldn't start eating the healthy diet I wanted/planned.

As to drinking...it wasn't until I went on a bender (which was almost every week) & felt so sick for a week & weaned myself off of the booze.

So everyone is different.

Wish you the best. Only you know what will work for you.
        :notes:
        My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves me altogether.

"When enough is enough, that's when you know your half way there"-Tim Mcllrath

Comment

When do I start?

:welcome: ginblaster,

Firstly what a great name, just love it.

I just wanted to add my hellos and welcomes and also direct you in the direction of the tool box. Just click on the link below.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

It's entirely your choice when you stop drinking, mine was a Tuesday, but the important thing is to get a plan in place. I'm not going to lie to you the early days are tough but very doable.

Keep posting, keep reading and keep coming back.

J x
          :l
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

When do I start?

Hi GB and welcome!

You've made a great first step by posting here...now we can get to know you! I've quit drinking on every day of the week, because like most people, my first quit was not my last! It takes many of us a few times to get it right...but don't let that discourage you. On one of my longer quits, I quit on a Friday. I figured the first few days are tough, the first weekend is tough...why not get it all done at once? Plus, I was also able to mope around those first couple of days and sleep a lot to pass the time. But any day you choose is a good day! Good luck, and stick close to this site, you will find so much support and advice!

K9
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

When do I start?

Hi GB,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place

Honestly, I don't remember what day of the week it was when I quit. I was just so damn ready.......

Do yourself a favor & go to the Health store here on the site & download the MWO book. There's a lot of good info for you in the book.
              Depending on how much you drink & how long, you need to consider if withdrawal symptoms are going to be a problem. If so you may want to see your doc ahead of time & possibly get a Rx for something to ease symptoms. You may also want to be sure someone is available to keep an eye on you, withdrawals are severe for some people. Just make a plan & detox safely!

Wishing you the very best, you've made a great decision. Stay close & let us know how you are doing. Drop in the Newbies Nest thread for more support.

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

When do I start?

I like your idea.

If one waits until tomorrow they would technically just be that muh more addicted. Now I don't know if that is true but either way I think the easiest day to stop is always going to be today over tomorrow.

-John
                Baclofen Benefits: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/baclofen-benefits-45389.html

:bagdude: "It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which more than anything else, will determine its successful outcome."-Williams James

Comment

When do I start?

Hi Ginblaster (great name) I stopped after my last bender the shame humiliation and the fact that I could only drag myself out of bed after 3 days and just thought enough is enough.

I wish you well and hope we can all do this together
                  Stella

Back to the beginning day 02 Jan 2013

Grateful for MWO :thanks:

Comment

When do I start?

:welcome: Ginblaster!

I agree with Nelz - get all the alcohol out of your house and there's no better day than the present to start!

Good luck - remember we are all in this together and all here to help each other!
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

When do I start?

Hi (again) Ginblaster -
                      Is there anyway you could start tonight? You can hang out around here...read, post, maybe go into chat to get you through the first night. Just think, by next Wednesday you could be at 7 days AND have your first weekend over with. Just a thought.
                      Keep posting and let us know how you are!
                      K9
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

When do I start?

Yeah, I think if you plan to to it whenever day....it never seems to come. How about tonight? That said, whatever plan you do have, we're here to support you.

And putting some meds and sups in place is a smart idea!!
                        Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                        (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

When do I start?

Hi Ginblaster,

I agree there is no time like the present. With that said I always began my AF time either on a Sunday or Monday. I guess it's just a mental start the week fresh kind of thing. The toolbox and MWO book are good reading right now if you decide you are going to start on Saturday. Good luck!
                          2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

When do I start?

I never planned a day to become sober. I always woke up and said "shit, I can't do this anymore" and that would be day one.
                            Day 1 again 11/5/19
                            Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                            Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                            Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                            11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                            12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

When do I start?

Don't know if I can do this. Last drink tonight. Don't need this any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X