Recognising and acknowledging cravings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a hard time recognising and acknowledging that what I am feeling are cravings, I do know that they are just that but actually accepting it in my warped brain is another thing, I think that is my main problem, instead of thinking 'I am craving alcohol because I am addicted to it' I think something along the lines of ' I need a drink because I have had a stressful day' or ' I deserve a treat for doing so well on my diet' or 'I will drink today and then quit for good because it is Saturday' I know in my heart of hearts that all these thoughts are justification for my cravings and I NEED to accept that I HAVE to acknowledge those cravings and fight through them, today is yet another day one for me but I am at least beginning to think along the right tracks (I hope!)
    Taking it ODAT

Good job thinking that through Mauri - you are on the right path.

For me, I found that substituting another kind of drink (something that I really enjoyed) helped with the cravings. In the summer, it was smoothies - now in the winter, it's flavored coffee. Don't know if this will help or not but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Wishing you lots of strength in your journey!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Thanks Jolie, it could well help, I do like lots of different drinks and come to think of it wine has been tasting awful lately !
      Taking it ODAT

Comment

Hi Maur,

My cravings seem to come at the same time everyday. The trigger time for me is between 5-7 PM. If I can make it past this time, I am good to go.

I drink soda and lime non stop during this period and try to keep myself really busy. If you know your trigger times, try to immerse yourself in your Henna business during this period. Your hands will be busy and your focus will be away from AL.
        I would rather have a frontal labotomy than a bottle in-front-of-me.

AF since Oct 23,2013

I watched this and found it incredibly empowering.....
        http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Comment

Hi guys, mauri i am the same as you. i get to about 3.30 at work and think well my job is done and i feel i deserve a wine for what i have done. Then i talk myself out of it and think no i dont need it but then i cave in and go to the bottleshop. i really didnt deserve a drink, its just habit. Have to love the "its the weekend" when i drink all week too.

Today is my day 2 and my sleep was crap but it hot in aus too. i know what to expect so i think that makes it easier to understand. Ive done 11 days i know i can do better.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

mauri,

That's why the MWO Hypno CDs were designed..........
            They help you to change your thinking - at least they did for me.
            I am coming up on my 3 year AF anniversary (March) & I have to admit those automatic thoughts of 'I need/deserve a drink' are long, long gone.

Think about investing in the CDs - they are well worth the expense
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I think my cravings come around that time of day too winebgone, just before dinner usually when i am contemplating what i need to do that evening, also before the off licence closes so i can plan to get wine/more wine :blush:

available i know that weekend thing lol !

Lav I don't know if the cd's would work for me, I tend to be really skeptical about that kind of thing! is there somewhere to listen to an excerpt of them?
              Taking it ODAT

Comment

Mauri,

Try and think of it this way. You have probably been feeding what is known as the AL brain for many years. Its sitting up there like the little "devil on the shoulder" screaming FEED ME...and to this point you have obliged.

So picture Mr. AL brain all nice and cozy, snuggled up in your brain, getting each and every one of his demands met. Now, all of the sudden when he rings his little bell he gets no response, and he is pisssssssssssssssed!

He's a tricky little devil, sitting up there trying anything and everything he can do to convince you that NEED a drink.....when you and I both know, that AL is not an essential element of life.

But, if you can just be stronger than that evil little critter for a spell, he suddenly starts to lose some of his grip...and YOU become stronger and stronger. He wont ever leave...oh no...he's a persistent little bugger...but his hold over you will diminish.

Now, take that IV lifeline away from him, and show him who's boss
                Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

thanks Nelz, I am going to try my hardest, I know my triggers - they are many but I really want to do this, been out and about this morning gathering things I need to fulfill some orders I have for barefoot sandals and hennaed gifts so I am going to be busy tonight - too busy to listen to the annoying AL brain LOL
                  Taking it ODAT

Comment

Hi Mauri,

It sounds like you have been doing some productive reflection lately. Have you ever heard the expression "A problem defined is half solved."? This is something I think about alot too. The craving might feel urgent, but it is not truly important. When this happens to me, I stop myself and try to figure out what is going on. H.A.L.T. is a great concept (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) for regular emotional or physical states that we have habituated ourselves to medicate with alcohol. Although the compulsion to drink can be strong, it is not like a medicine that we need that instant to survive. Have you tried "Urge surfing?" For me, this robbed the craving of its ability to have a "conversation" with the real ME, and reduced it to what it really is: a desire for something that is not going to happen.
                    "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                    AF 11/12/11

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up. And so true that the craving is usually disguised as another feeling! I can recognize it more easily now. And by the way, I can see that I don't 'deserve' anything just for living from the morning to the evening ha, ha!!! As a retired person, my pension is what I deserve!!!

Anyway, this has made me think about these so called cravings in a new way. Very valuable.
                      Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                      (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Pinecone;1250210 wrote: Hi Mauri,

H.A.L.T. is a great concept (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) for regular emotional or physical states that we have habituated ourselves to medicate with alcohol. .
                        This is very useful, thank you
                        Taking it ODAT

Comment

MWOLady;1250236 wrote: And by the way, I can see that I don't 'deserve' anything just for living from the morning to the evening ha, ha!!!
                          I agree :H that is a great way to look at it!
                          Taking it ODAT

Comment

Working...
                          X