Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my story (the abriged version)

:new:

hi all...what a fantastic site, found purely by accident. Believe it or not i had decided to give up habitual drinking yesterday morning (2 hours before i discovered this forum): Anyhoo my name is dave (56)
    living with partner (soon to be married):upset: in scotland. I've got a full time job, so in my working day does not involve alcohol...my problem has been slow but progresive over the years. In my 20's..30's..and early 40's drink played no part in my life other socialy. Around that time my 20year marraige fell apart, and i suppose i turned to whisky to numb the pain. Not to excess as i was running a successfull small business.
    But when i got home in the evening, a few large whiskies helped:This over the next few years become the norm. Anything up to a half bottle a night, and through time i needed this to sleep: The real problem developed over the last few years. While working still no problem, but during the day i began to think about the rewarding drinks i could look forward to that evening. Not on my own by this time but that did'nt make any difference to way of thinking. So a couple of whiskies and a shared bottle of veno with my partner. One for her....the rest for me...I began to resent her when she asked for a second glass. I went to the shop to buy a couple of bottles....just in case she forgot...I did'nt get drunk..nor did i have a hangover as such...But i convinced myself that i would'nt be able to sleep without it. I began to have stomoch problems (the drink) but on my day's off i found that a couple of drinks in the morning helped...If on my day's off i woke at 5 in the morning with my funny tummy i would nip down the stairs for a couple just to get back to sleep...This is more or less my story till now BUT now i intend to something about
    This is my second day for many, many years without a drink of alcohol...(on holiday this week so this should help get a good start) Yesterday was'nt to bad, although i was on this site most of the day, which helped)
    It was going to bed with a clear head that affected me the most. I experienced night terrors for the first couple of hours. Then i must have got to sleep...the next thing i know it's morning..AND FELT I'D HAD THE BEST SLEEP FOR YEARS Did'nt feel sick either (liver got a rest as well).....
    Anyway early day's yet but i feel more possitive than i've had for years...............
    dave

Hi Dave,

Good for you for making the great decision to go af. I had my first af day yesterday, and had a fairly good sleep last night. You will find this sight helpful, I know I was on it most of last night as well. Keep reading and posting.
    Keep up the good work.

:welcome: :h
    "What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it."
    Catherine Pulsifer

Comment

Welcome dave:wavin:

That's the problem with alcohol- it's a chronic, progressive thing. You can start out being a social dinker, weekend drinker to a daily then hourly drinker! That's what happened to me util I foud I had too much to lose & wanted my life back.

Stay with us & stay focused....you can do it!

p.s. congrats on your first AF day....& many more to come!
      :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Welcome!

Welcome to you! Welcome to the boards! Way to go for your wanting to go AF. Like SeaBreez said, alcoholism is a progressive illness. Keep reading, and post often!

Comment

Welcome Dave!! So glad to have you here! Yup, alcohol definitely sneaks up on you doesnt it?
          Good for you for going AF. Let us know if we can help you
          Hugs
          jen
          Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Hello Dave.
            I live in Scotland too. I found this site in early November and I love it. My drinking patterns have changed from 3/4/5 bottles of vodka a week, to 1 bottle in the last 3 1/2 weeks. I haven't touched a drop for 13 days now, and I feel great.
            The people on these boards are brilliant. They are very supportive and knowledgeable.
            You are in a good place.
            Good Luck.

Comment

I want to welcome you too Davy!!! You sound like you are ready to make a big change in your life and I wish you nothing but the best in that pursuit. Mornings are wonderful after AF nights, aren't they?
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

many many thanks to everyone........it's great to get all this off my chest....my other half know's i've been drinking to much, but she is such a lovely person she does'nt make a big issue out of it. But i've known for some time that it's only me that can do anything about...

thanks all once again
                dave:thanks:

Comment

Hi Davey,

I've just discovered this site too. The messages of support are lovely and give hope. I completely identify with what you said about eyeing up the bottle of wine and being cross with your partner if she took an extra glass!

When you are holding down a demanding career, mortgage etc etc its easy to kid yourself you don't really have a problem. But it does sneak up on you. Antway. keep up the good work.

I live in Ireland - like Scotland there's a pretty big drinking cuture over here.

Nicole xx

Comment

Hi Davy,:welcome:

That could have been my story you've just told, getting up for more in the morning just to get back to sleep ........ yep been there ........

I found this site early november, since then I spent 2 months still drinking but making sure that it was considerably less and not till at least 7pm, and i'm now on my 9th night AF.....

Couldn't have done it without these wonderfull people here....

Use and abuse the site, (in a nice way of course) you will get all the help and support that you need.

Well done and all the best.

Paula xx
                    sigpicXXX

Comment

Hi

Hi Dave

Well done on making that first step you will find this site invaluable there are so many great people on here. Im on my 9TH AF day and every day just gets better, hang on in there its worth it.

Paul....:welcome:

Comment

Well done Dave! Keep coming around and posting. Welcome
                        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

DAY THREE....does'nt time drag when your not working (weeks hols)...my lovely other half is a teacher so is working...this has been good for me, cause i know she'd just be fussing around and givin me worried looks..
                          Anyhoo things are going ok, well more than ok, feel so much better...strange part is going to bed without the usual alcohol buzz...just been exercising starkers in the loo like a complete idiot for the last half hour (well 10mins)...came out and poured the last of the newyear booze down the sink:upset:...we've got my 1st real test on saturday when are visiting friends who i know will be drinking...good friends, but i know they'll try and get me to have a drink....just a beer, or a glass of wine he'll say....no harm in that...NOT THIS TIME.....going back to work should'nt be a problem, but looking for that well earned drink when i get home WILL BE....again another hurdle Anyway to all my new friends i'll keep you posted....TO ANYONE WHO IS STRUGGLING OUT THERE, PLEASE, PLEASE, STICK WITH IT. WE CAN KICK THIS DEMON UP THE BACK SIDE TOGETHER

LOVE

DAVE

Comment

Working...
                          X