How do I wean off of wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm done to three and a half glasses of 150 mil of wine a night now and I want to stop. After seeing my husband in the ICU from DT's ( he was drinking 12 to 15 beers a night in a matter of 4 hours), I do not want to end up like that. I use to be a social drinker, until I married 8 years ago. I need some advise. Help. Thank you.
    Stumpy
    AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
    AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
    STUMPY IS A LADY!

Hi Stumpy and :welcome: Good for you coming here and posting and looking for your way out. That must have been a very frightening experience with your husband. Sometimes we underestimate the real danger of alcohol overdose and alcohol withdrawal. I hope he's OK now!

I got my start here by downloading and reading the My Way Out book. (from the health store - best $12 or $13 I ever spent!)

Another good thread is the "Toolbox" thread in the Monthly Abstinence section of the forum. Keep reading and find people you can relate to - people who have what you want. Do what they do.

Drinking stinks and I'm never going back there. You can get out too!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thank you Doggygirl, this is my second time around. I tried it last year and it didn't workout. I will order the book however, I need help now. I want not alcohol in this house when he gets home from the hospital next weekend so I want to try and quit this ASAP...I can't imagine having DT's over 3 and a half glasses a night which is down from a double bottle of wine some nights. I really need advise. I'm glad you are done and seems like you are sticking with that, keep up the good work :goodjob:
      STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Hi stumpy,
        Hope you are doing OK, your husband as well.

I was in your shoes 3 years ago when I joined MWO. I had decreased my huge wine consumption down to just 2 glasses then just quit! I actually made a big deal of pouring the last of the wine down the drain, vowing to never buy more & I haven't. You can do it too

Sustitute a lot of water and/or tea to stay hydrated, you should be OK.
        Stay close & let us know how you are doing.
        Come back to the newbies nest for more support

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Stumpy, I'm so sorry that you and your husband are going through such a difficult time. The good news is, though, that perhaps this fiasco can help you both stop drinking!

I am coming up on 90 days AF. I had tried seriously a couple of times before, but this time is working. It's different for all of us, but here's what's worked for me.

I read voraciously about addiction. Kick the Drink by Jason Vale was one of the more important things I read because it helped me overcome glamorizing alcohol and I now see it differently.

I avoid situations that will make me want to drink.........things like........when my husband and I eat a nice dinner out, we do it very early in the evening......late afternoon really. Drinking wine with a nice dinner is a huge trigger for me. Just things along that line.......I don't go to bars, avoid parties, etc.

I eat extremely healthfully including juicing vegetables a time or two a day. I jog 3 miles most days, or walk the same.

Finally, I read and post here A LOT. It really helps to have the support of people here........only they can relate to exactly what you're experiencing. The Newbie's Nest is great when you're starting out.

I hope this helps............wishing you the best. :lilheart:

Comment

Lavande, thank you for your support. How long did you stay on 2 glasses of wine before you were able the quit? Did you start by quiting one or two days a week and than quit altogether? Wow! I just noticed you've been quit for almost 3years, Great for you.

Unwasted, Thank you for your reply. I've heard of the Kick the Drink by Jason Vale, I will be ordering that today, more so for my husband. He's still in ICU 7 days now from drinking and is still asking when we can go out, I don't get the glamor in drinking but he sees it as his life is over if he can't be out drinking. We have a tough road ahead of us. 90 days is alot, you are doing great!!
            STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

he sees it as his life is over if he can't be out drinking
              Stumpy - I used to feel exactly like this and still have a glimmer of that kind of thinking - but it's less frequent and I'm counting on it being totally gone soon.

Wow, if your husband is thinking about drinking before he's been released from the hospital after having been admitted FOR drinking, you certainly do have a challenge. Does he not see that he has a problem? He probably has the false notion that he's going to control it.........ain't gonna happen from what I've seen in my lifetime.........

Well, keep us posted and let us know how (if) we can help. We can always be a sounding board.

Sending you peace and strength :lilheart:

Oh, and Stumpy, I had gotten down to a very moderate amount of alcohol before I quit, so one doesn't have to be drinking a lot to quit. One just has to be sick of it.

Comment

i think you can go cold turkey.. i have stopped after 1.5 bottles a night and no DT's except for headache and stomach sick... you should be ok.. 3 glasses is a far cry from 15 beers in 4 hours...

good luck and i hope your hubbies is doing better..

caper
                caper
                AF since Sept 2013...
                :alf:

Comment

Thank you Everyone. I went to visit my husband today in ICU and he is finally Lucid whatever that means and still asked if we can compromise, I don't think I can be there for him if he doesn't want to admit he has a problem. I'm tired and tomorrow I am putting down that damn wine and going to sleep or staying up all night, doesn't matter. I just can't do this anymore. Peace to all of you and keep up the good work. I'll be back tomorrow.
                  Stumpy
                  STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Stumpy,
                    Hopefully your husband can go directly from the hospital to rehab?
                    If he's still talking about wanting to drink yuo may not be able to help him, sorry.
                    But you can do everything to help yourself get healthy & strong, physically & emotionally.

About the 2 glasses per day - I'd say quit now while you're ahead. Just get rid of it & be on your way to a new & better life:l

Stay in touch!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Stumpy, I think you definitely have to put your oxygen mask on first. :lilheart:

Comment

Hi, Stumpy.

I would seek help from the hospital staff and see if they might have suggestions for rehab, etc. If your husband gets out, he will find a way to get alcohol. If this trip to ICU hasn't scared him, he needs a lot of help right now. I never ended up in the hospital, but I went to a great rehab and it made all the difference in my life.
                        Keep posting here as there are so many people who've been through it and can offer help.
                        Stay strong. I'd get rid of the wine, too, if I were you.

:lTDN
                        "One day at a time."

Comment

Working...
                        X