Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start?

Hello! I stumbled upon this site this morning, I think I finally admitted to myself that I have a problem and began to seek advice/solutions. I am 22 years old and began drinking when I was about 16(rough crowd where I lived). For the first few years, it was a weekend party thing but now I find myself drinking 4-7 beers a night. I think I have a problem because I always think about having a drink, whether it be after work, during work, or with friends on the weekend. Sometimes i'd wake up and grab some beers if I know I don't have to drive later in the day. and even drink a beer while laying in my bed while watching a movie with my girl. I am so tired of waking up feeling like sh*t, getting a poor sleep, and spending the money on a case of beer every 2 days. I constantly try to quit but I always crave it so badly. In the last 3 years I don't think I have gone 2 days without a beer. it is so difficult because all my friends are heavy drinkers so it's ALWAYS accessible whether that means they bring it over, buy me one in the restaurant and are always pressuring me. Would it be best to attempt to quit cold turkey? should I try to ween myself off? I just don't know the best way to go about finally being free of it.

Where to start?

JC, :welcome: and congratulations on realizing this early in your life that you're headed down a dead end road. Believe me, anyone here will tell you it just gets worse. If you can quit drinking now you will be the envy of every person who has ever visited this site, currently resides on it, or is yet to come here. What we wouldn't all give to have had a clue at your age!

I don't know if you live in a big city, but there are now AAs that focus on young people, knowing that you need to be with peers to whom you can relate. Aside from that, I would recommend finding some people to hang with who don't drink. That may be hard, but if it's possible that would be a big help. I'm not religious, but would you be open to church groups? It's sad to say, but alcohol is so pervasive in our society....anyway, I would just suggest trying to find one or two friends who don't drink or who drink very little and would be supportive of your quitting.

I'm not sure about the withdrawals........I don't think you would have them but everyone is different. Maybe you could wean yourself off and just drink a couple of beers for a few nights and then quit.

I'm sure others will come along who can better address your detox question.

I would read as much as you have time for here, visit the Newbie's Nest under Just Starting Out, and read through the Toolbox under Monthly Abstinence. Post and communicate as much as you can.

:lilheart: - sending you peace and strength. OH, and I highly recommend reading the book Kick the Drink by Jason Vale!

Comment

Where to start?

Hey thank you for taking the time to help me.. Anytime I have brought the idea of quitting everyone would just say "your young everyone your age has thier binge" but I really do believe I have a serious problem I wanna kick. It is difficult because I live in a little town where EVERYONE drinks. I will definatley make my way around the forums it helps alot. The idea of just stopping sounds so easy but it's really not. I think tomorrow I wanna try to push my will power and not drink any beers. I just feel guilty when I give in

Comment

Where to start?

Welcome Jczoog, glad your search brought you here. I don't know about detoxing or withdrawals and can't advise on that but suggest you just drink lots of water rather than beer. You're right, it's not easy to stop, but you will get lots of support here.

Read and post and keep asking questions. Good luck!

Comment

Where to start?

Well I just got home from work and normally i'd be cracking a beer right now and be following up with a few more. But I am going to start day 1 of AF... I poured a tall glass of cranberry juice and picked up a few bags of sunflower seeds to keep me busy(maybe my drinking habit will be replaced with sunflower seeds :P ) I spent alot of time reading on the forums today and although my heart starts racing at the thought of quitting, I have gathered the motivation to do this. thank you everybody and I will keep you posted on my progress... it helps me to know that I would be disappointing people if I could not do this. wish me luck

Comment

Where to start?

Hi JCZoog,

There are lots of great tips here: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

I found the concepts of "urge surfing" and "witching hour" to be very helpful in quitting drinking.

I hope you stick around!
            "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
            AF 11/12/11

Comment

Where to start?

Hi Jczoog,
              How did your night go? I'm glad you've found us, and hope to hear more from you. The cranberry juice and sunflower seeds sounds like a good idea! Please let us know how you're doing, and again...welcome!
              K9
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Where to start?

Hi Jczoog,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place
                You are very wise deciding to take control now, you are so young. Many of us wasted years being controlled by AL & we don't get them back.

I started by downloading the MWO book from the Health store here on the site. It has a lot of good info for you. Keeping yourself distracted & as busy as possible during these first few days really helps. It's all about getting rid of bad habits, replacing them with good habits - exercise, healthy eating, hobbies, etc.

Drop in the Newbies Nest thread for more support.
                Wishing you the best!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Where to start?

Hi Jczoog :welcome:

Glad you found MWO - A great source of support and advice. For all of us struggling with AL.

For me the biggest part of my alcoholism was struggling with obsessive thoughts about getting and using AL.
                  Like Lavande, K9Lover say - distractions
                  in the early days are invaluable.
                  Hell, coming to MWO 6 times a days and obsessing over being sober isn't the ultimate goal but a step in the right direction :H

I'm 26, so I too am quite young - So I heart your struggle and can relate as people in their 20's find alcohol plays a bigger part in thir social life than 40's perhaps.
                  Levislover is also a new poster who is 24. You should check out her thread. As finding people you can relate to going through the same stuff makes you feel less alone.

Regarding side effects from withdrawal - I have only ever experienced mild ones - so can't offer any useful advice.
                  I have found regarding cravings that the drug 'campral' works quite well for me.
                  I would describe it like a nicotine patch is to smokers - it is no cure in itself, personal willpower and desire is also needed - and support helps too
                  Good luck and best wishes xx
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wildflower.
                  Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                  And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Where to start?

hey JCzoog,
                    you can do it.. stick with us and we will help you through..

caper
                    caper
                    AF since Sept 2013...
                    :alf:

Comment

Where to start?

thank you all very much for taking the time to write me, it means alot because I know you don't have an obligation to help me :P but I do wanna report that last night went really well surprisingly(thanks for asking K9)... I got a good sleep although I did drink an insane amount of water, and juice lol I am trying day 2 tonight AF... I have been thinking about it alot but I keep telling myself I don't drink anymore and it seems to help alot. I will browse around the site a bit more tonight and keep going. I wanna say something and I don't know if it is wrong to say... I would always drink because I loved the taste of beer.. I would never really drink enough to get drunk or even enjoy being drunk at all. I do hope one day I can have ONE beer and be able to drink in mild moderation such as holidays.. but I do hear about stories of people falling off the wagon again and i'm not sure if I should take that risk in the future... my first goal is 30 days AF and I know I can do that!

Comment

Where to start?

Of course you can do it Jczoog! You are stronger than alcohol, so just get some distractions ready for when cravings hit, because they will...but you don't ever have to give in to them. You never have to drink again even if you want to. I loved the taste of beer too, but every time I drank it, I got drunk, blacked out, passed out, and woke up with a hangover. Now I enjoy the taste of other beverages too...ones that don't take away my self-control. You should be proud of trying to make a change at your young age...it only gets worse, so you're really doing yourself a favor by acknowledging the problem now.

Anyway, I hope you are well today (is it day 3?). Hang in there and be strong...you CAN do this, and we're here to help!

K9
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                        X