Irie's Journey to 30 days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for you, Ishy! I know what you mean about focusing on that second drink before the first one is even done. I never have a drink unless I know I have as much as I want ready and waiting for me. I virtually never have just one. Never! What would be the point? (0ne of many, many reasons I know I'm not a social drinker).
    ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
    -----------------------------------
    Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Irie, I am determined not to give into those temptations this time. I have too much at stake.....my very happiness as do we all. Sure enough I feel fantastic this morning and am deeply thankful that I rode out that craving. It wasn't even a craving......it was a false nostalgia about alcohol.........europhic recall as it's been termed. The truth is that alcohol does nothing positive for us. We are brainwashed and cannot possibly remember it correctly. I'm really committed to continuing on with my sobriety. And, yes, I'm coming up on 90 days and I've never felt better. Aside from a couple of hours in the evening (and it's not even every night), I'm light years happier, more peaceful, healthy..........the list could go on and on......so.............stick with it everyone...........the downtimes lessen and the upside is wonderful! :lilheart:

Comment

Irie;1258217 wrote: Day 3.

Wow! It doesn't take very long to feel the benefits of a little AF time. I've slipped back into the happy mood I typically have when I wake up from a good night's sleep and my first thought is...Yea! I did not drink last night! Great way to start the day.

I'm away from home for my job and last night in my hotel room I spent a lot of the evening just watching tv. I could not believe how many times there were shots of people drinking, and most often it was wine. Sitcom, drama, ad, you name it, there was the wine. No wonder we romanticize drinking!

I hope everyone has a great day and is successful with their AF goal. Let's not let anything derail us. Nothing!
        OMG, tell me about it! Im sure my perception was a bit skewed, but it seemed like every 5 minutes someone was pouring a shot.

The only difference is, I always saw someone drinking viskey(thats how my lady friend says it, so I do too now) and it was HORRIBLE! Thats when the "I dont drink....I dont drink" mantra went off in my head, as I was on the couch in the fetal position.

Keep it up you, you have already noticed some small changes, Im sure there are others to follow
        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Day 4!

I hope to always have the clarity about my goal that I have today. Life is good when I don't drink and miserable when I do. I'm thankful to be fortunate enough to know what I want. After many years of wanting to cut down but not being able to imagine giving up drinking altogether, I am completely sure that I not only need to give it up, that's what I want!

I'm not going to get ahead of myself, though. First things first. I have a little matter of a 30 day goal to take care of right now!
          ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
          Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Nelz;1258952 wrote: Keep it up you, you have already noticed some small changes, Im sure there are others to follow
            Cross post. Thanks, Nelz! If I could bottle up the happy, confident, purposeful feeling I woke up with I could sell it for a million bucks! Better than any drink I ever had. Early days, yet, though. I have to guard against taking this feeling for granted. (And come back and read this when I inevitably have a harder time than I am at the moment).
            Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Good morning Irie,UW, Nelz,
              I too hate how the media romanticizes alcohol and how quickly i can give into that fantasy of "pairing" my beverage with the ideal situation or scenery....margarita on the beach, wine while prepping dinner and then with dinner or a glass of wine while putting my feet up and relaxing......NOT. I never enjoy it that way anyway, i'm so busy sucking it down and worrying how little i have left in my glass.
              I'm going to try and ride on the backs of all of your positive attitudes and strengrh today because today I'm really friggin tired. I must be detoxing.
              check in later. Have a great day all.

Comment

Day 4 done! Day long meeting and then an almost 200 mile drive home. I'm pooped! My head must really be in the right place because as I pulled into town I drove past my favorite wine store with hardly a thought.

Gearing up to stay strong this weekend. It will be tough but I hope doable. There is no wine in the house now, so if I don't buy it I'll be fine. Simple enough.
                Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Day 5

I'm happy to have gotten this far really easily. I wonder how much of a challenge the weekend will be? My plan to get through it is pretty simple. I won't buy any wine and will stick close to this site if I need to. I have a lot of work I can bring home so I will keep myself busy with that. It doesn't have to be the most exciting weekend I ever had. That's not the goal.

My husband, who drinks as much or more than I do, is disgusted with his drinking this morning. If he should decide not to drink this weekend that will be a big help to.

How are you doing, Ishy?
                  Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Ishy and Irie, just stopped in to wish you guys well. I'm coming up on day 90 and have to say, despite some struggles here and there, life is much better this way. I hope you guys can end up AF....it really is worth it and the difficulty of getting there lessens as more time passes.

Irie, my husband barely drinks anymore. It's getting easier to watch him drink the occasional beer.

:lilheart:

Comment

^--------------broken record Nelz LOL Have you set some short term goals yet?

Keep it up, sounds like you have a great plan for combating the weekend....just remember

Stole that from one2many's avatar.....LOVE IT Surf the wave Irie, you can dew eeeeet Attached files [img]/converted_files/1778576=6647-attachment.png[/img]
                      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Good Morning Ishy and irie - Irie - so well done! Those first few days are so hard - and to drive past your wine store after the gruelling day that you had was awesome. I love that you have a plan - that was what I had to do, although it was pretty basic. Also - my hubs stopped drinking a few days after I did - seeing I had stopped - he drank way more than me, but decided he would stop too! And he has stayed stopped. we didn't really drink together as we both work shifts and he drank different stuff to me, but the house has been AL free now for ages. I hope that your hubs does well too.....

Ishy - how are you doing? I remember that having the second one almost ready to pour before the first one was finished too!! I thought I was the only one that did that too :H How is the twitchy feeling? Just hang in there and be strong - stay with the folk here..... come and post and read when you get it! Find something else to do - or as Nelz said - surf it - it doesn't last long - try the l-Glut - that helps too.

Hi UW - I know you asked for what my plan was - I haven't forgotten - it was really simple but will PM you. So pleased that YOU are doing well and being so supportive of everyone. I remember the last (and only other) time I have quit that it really helped me so much to have people supporting me.

Morning Nelz! Good to see you - as usual, being such an inspiration! I think this thread is so good!!

Hugs to all - have a wonderful day everyone!

Sun X
                        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                          UW 90 days is fantastic!! Congratulations!
                          Well i didn't want to post, but since I committed to posting and being accountable, I have to confess....I drank 5 glasses of wine last night. Yes I said it....5! damn it,feck. crap etc...It's weird to put it out to the universe but maybe it's good i take a look at it. We had a family friend of my husbands over for dinner and I just caved.

Comment

Hey, Ishy! I'm glad you posted. I really think one of thing that helped me the most was learning to get on this board and post when I screwed up. It has helped me get right back in the wagon much faster each time than I would have if I wasn't accountable to anyone. Good for you for posting, and I hope you can get right back on track tomorrow.

Unwasted, Nelz and Sunny.. thank you so much for the encouragement! You all are such an inspiration. Make room, not long from now I'm going to be one of you! I got through tonight in good shape. I won't say it was easy, but it was doable. Making it through tonight gives me great hope for the rest of he weekend. Bring it on! I'm ready.
                            Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Day 6!

I knew it would help me to start this 30 day thread and it has! I've already gotten past the point of planning not to drink to actually doing it, and now I've made it through a Friday night without much trouble at all. I have virtually no worries about the rest of the weekend. I am so happy it's ridiculous!
                              Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Irie, we would love to move over and make room for you in the "we're making it" group. I have 3 months tomorrow, and looking back, I can't believe how quickly the time has gone. Just keep doing what you're doing and I promise it will be worth it. You'll have times where you doubt, but just push them aside because the next day you'll be thrilled that you didn't cave. And remember, Friday and Saturday nights are just another night - we may have brainwashed ourselves into think they're different but they're not. You might have to change your routine to make them more "typical" by avoiding situations, but they are just days of the week.

Ishy, I'm sorry you took a dive. Do you plan to go back to AF? The two other times I tried and failed, I had every intention of drinking again when I picked up.........I just wasn't there mentally. Hope you can turn things around if in fact that's what you want. I've had to steer clear of certain situations like you describe in order to rack up three months.

Sending you both peace and strength :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
                                X