Irie's Journey to 30 days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick check in to report another sober night. This time is so much easier (so far) than any other attempt I've made. No white knuckling it, no anxiety, no tormenting arguments going on in my head. I think everything I've learned with each attempt is coming together. I am nonetheless amazed. I would never have predicted this, particularly in my darkest moments when I never thought I could shake this horrible curse on my life. Thank God I didn't quit trying, I think this is it!
    ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
    -----------------------------------
    Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Irie;1260678 wrote: Just a quick check in to report another sober night. This time is so much easier (so far) than any other attempt I've made. No white knuckling it, no anxiety, no tormenting arguments going on in my head. I think everything I've learned with each attempt is coming together. I am nonetheless amazed. I would never have predicted this, particularly in my darkest moments when I never thought I could shake this horrible curse on my life. Thank God I didn't quit trying, I think this is it!

/gazing into crystal ball

/nods head up and down :goodjob:
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

you're doing so well, Irie and sounding so strong!! i'm super proud of you and have the confidence you'll continue to succeed--i, too, am so glad you didn't quit to keep trying. never quit, never quit to keep trying.
        widhing you a wonderful sunday!!
        love what you said about the delayed gratification. so much more satisfying than the instant, isn't it?

Comment

Oh Irie - I was going to do exactly what Nelz did - quote you and agree!! That is awesome for you - isn't it great? That is how I feel this time - how awesome - keep that feeling - if ever you get tempted, come back and read your thread - way to go you !!

Hugs, Sun X
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Day 7!

Thanks Nelz and LifeChange. I'm doing this for myself, but the support feels really, really good.

So, one week down! I can count on one hand how many times I've been able to get this far in the last 20 years, and for the last few years there wasn't a day when I didn't promise myself that I would quit that day. I can hardly believe it's happened so naturally this time. With the weekend virtually behind me, I'm feeling really confident about the days ahead.

I truly believe I've found my way out. If anyone is sick of trying and failing and trying and failing, all I can say is don't give up.
            ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
            Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

UW - so well done on your 3 month mark!!! That is just wonderful - I am so filled with happiness for you. I agree on what you said to Ishy too though. We constantly have to keep our guard up and be aware.

Ishy - please keep posting - it matters not that you had the wine - you said you would post - where are you??? You can always start again - we all did!! so, we are here for you and waiting to see you start again at day 1. If you are ready to do it. I had to be ready and this time I really was.

Hugs, Sun
              How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Cross post, Sunny. Thanks to you, too! You know, it's funny, but I did go back this morning and read my posts on this thread. I was blown away by how happy I sound! You are right, I will come back here if I ever get tempted or complacent!
                Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

sunshinedaisies;1260990 wrote: Ishy - please keep posting - it matters not that you had the wine - you said you would post - where are you??? You can always start again - we all did!! so, we are here for you and waiting to see you start again at day 1. If you are ready to do it. I had to be ready and this time I really was.
                  I couldn't agree more!
                  Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

O.k. Back on day one.
                    Thanks for encouraging me to post.....I'm going to make a plan today. I think the worst part of drinking is the self loathing and pity party the day after. Ugh.
                    Great job Irie and happy 90 UW! Thanks for reaching out Sun.
                    Here I go....again!

Comment

Ishy, good for you to come back and post. Stay strong..........the alcohol torture chamber won't change.......we're just staving off the inevitible when we drink.....sooner or later we're going to have to get sober because the alternative sucks big time. :lilheart:

Irie, keep it going! I think you're at about a week?

Sun, you're so sweet! How are you doing on the cigs? Life Change, Nelz :lilheart: Big hugs to all.

Comment

Unwasted;1261085 wrote:

Sun, you're so sweet! How are you doing on the cigs?
                        umm - haven't actually started yet - LOL BUT the thought is there !! that is half the battle!! I bought the Carr book - which I have bought SO many times and then given away - anyway I have that in my arsenal now, plus I have the patch - although never having used it, am a little scared of it. I am girding my loins for my stop - once I have re-read the carr book!! ROTFLMBO !!

ISHY - SO happy to see you back! This is where you belong. You need to think about why you ended up drinking last time and think about if you are really ready to stop.....if you want to mod, that is fine but you need to have at least 30 days AF under your belt first. I decided once I was going to mod, and my first supposedly AF day, decided I was modding instead - LOL Only fooling myself. Oh - I disagree with having the self loathing and the pity party the day after. It isn't necessary, just in my opinion. Can't change anything, so be positive and instead of having all of the former - use it as a springboard for a great jump off for being AF - NO pity party - NO self loathing - you are a wonderful person caught in a difficult situation. Just go forward and be positive!! Love yourself !!

Hugs to all,

sun XX

Comment

Sun, the patch won't hurt you. It really helps you get past the oral fixation. Just don't smoke and have the patch on at the same time!

Comment

Day 7 done! I had to go into the office today in order to be ready for the week, which made me cranky. I was really tired by the time I was driving home and I did have a passing thought that it would be nice to pick up a bottle of wine, but really that's all it was, just a passing thought that was easy to squelch. Can you imagine how ridiculous it would be to give up a Sunday to prepare for the upcoming week, and then sabotage everything by drinking all night and feeling awful the next morning? I've done it many a time!
                            Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Irie, you're creating new brain grooves with new thinking! Such good work!! You're going to feel super tomorrow and sail through the day..........no struggling with your head throbbing, wishing away every minute. :lilheart:

Comment

Hi - jumping in here - just found this thread, looking for some nice safe places. Ishy - can we be buddies - today is a day 1 again for me too.
                                I had a great run going, then blew it - one night and thought I learnt a lot, however my car stopped on the 6th day on the way home and old habits reared their ugly head, and i carried on that Thurs, Fri and Sat - so have drunk a bottle of wine four nights this year and all in the space of just over a week - so stupid!
                                I need to be accountable and looking for a couple good places to post, this one feels really good, and some of my favorite people are signing in here.
                                UW - I am jealous of your 90 days! I should have been on my way there!! Well done.
                                And Irie - a week, way to go...each step makes it harder to go back - keep on chalking the days up!
                                To quote Ishy - here I go........again!
                                “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Working...
                                X