Irie's Journey to 30 days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, a couple of you, I think, are taking Antabuse. I'm really considering it, especially for vacations and such, but I'm wondering how careful you have to be about accidental exposure to alcohol. For example, would you have to worry about how a meal was prepared in a restaurant? Just curious.
    ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
    -----------------------------------
    Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Finishing day 10! Yahoo!
      Guiness is full of good stuff, when I was nursing in the UK we used to keep a crate of the brown stuff under orthopedic patients beds to help with their healing!
      My Doc prescribed steak, chocolate and red wine when I had low iron during my pregnancies - I loved it!!!
      Not sure aboit the tiredness Ishy - my sleep is very different, sometimes I sleep better, sometimes a lot worse - and I am spending so much energy on not drinking - my constnat mind battle wears me out for sure. I will turn 50 this year, enjoying teh end of the 40's before my life beings at 50 - at least thats what I am telling myself!!
      Well done all, just a quick check in - 8:30 and I am in my PJ's - so yes, Ishy, I am tired!!!
      “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Day 17!

Back across the state again for another meeting. I'm starting to feel like a ping pong ball! This time I'm going with co-workers instead of by myself, so the drinking issue may come up. Probably not in a big way, this group is a margarita with a Mexican dinner kind of group, not bar hoppers. In the past I would feel a little conspicuous because I would slightly outdrink them at dinner, but then I would hole up afterwards in my room with my own personal bottle of wine. None of that nonsense tonight!

Sunshine, I wish you were my neighbor! We have an elderly pug (I think you have a pug too, Belle?) and our longtime dog sitter just moved. We baby him a lot and we have to be sure he has a great sitter before we are comfortable leaving him if we can't take him with us o. Trips.

MyLife, Mum, Belle, LifeChange, Scottish Lass, Ishy, Shue, Today... we are doing so great!! Whoohoo! Let's rack up another day!

Unwasted, Nelz and Sunshine, thanks for checking in on us! You give us a peek at where we are heading!
        ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
        Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Irie,

Congratulations on Day 17! You are sounding so great. I am on Day 1 and came back to MWO after a 2 month absence where modding got out of control and turned into a daily bottle of wine. I've enjoyed your thread and am inspired by all of you. My first goal is 3 months but I guess I should break it up and aim for 30 days! I wish you all the best of luck, please do the same for me!
          Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
          :h

Comment

Hey guys - just a quick stop by for me. Congrats to you all - looks like you're achieving your goals. Irie, I'm so proud of your being able to navigate your work settings without drinking. That is gold star material! But, as Supercrew reminds us - we're non drinkers, not alcoholics being deprived of anything because a sober life is far superior to that of a drinking life. I deeply believe that! Keep the faith and keep racking up those days and months. I'm at 100 days today and feeling fantastic. I promise, guys, if you can just keep it going you'll be happy you did. Life is truly better this way.

Bondie - I see you're back - have wondered about you.......guess you've realized what we all have - that modding is a joke and drinking is a trap that only leads to misery! It's true.

Best to you all!

Comment

So true, Unwasted, modding is a joke but unfortunately, it takes a long time before we "get" the punchline!
              Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

Comment

BlondeAFAmbition;1266457 wrote: Irie,

Congratulations on Day 17! You are sounding so great. I am on Day 1 and came back to MWO after a 2 month absence where modding got out of control and turned into a daily bottle of wine. I've enjoyed your thread and am inspired by all of you. My first goal is 3 months but I guess I should break it up and aim for 30 days! I wish you all the best of luck, please do the same for me!
                I could not agree more with that......it easier and more successful, IMO to make some smaller goals.
                Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Irie

I have been following your link for about a week. I really like it and you sound so wonderful. Like Blondie, I have not posted for several months.. I was having a bad night and vomited personal problems out on a post and then got totally embarrassed ... I was on the verge of a drink after being AF for over 45 days.. well needless to say I did grab that wine and for the last couple of months I have been on and off the wine and some mornings I woke up and was alarmed at how much I consumed.... I told myself I was really in trouble. I have found myself a therapist to work through my personal trouble and rebuilt my since of self... to "regain my personal power" I am still having a certain amount of daily anxiety but I am working through it... but the good news is I have been AF since 2/14!!! I have been following this link but not posting ... I just wanted to get a few AF days under my belt before I came back..

Again Irie... great link and hello to all

Comment

Welcome back to you too, Herbie! Sounds like we've had a similar string of months recently...

Comment

Irie;1266283 wrote: So, a couple of you, I think, are taking Antabuse. I'm really considering it, especially for vacations and such, but I'm wondering how careful you have to be about accidental exposure to alcohol. For example, would you have to worry about how a meal was prepared in a restaurant? Just curious.
                      To me the funny thing about antabuse - now that I've started taking my 1/2 pill daily - is why did I never think of this before??!! It sounded so drastic or something that I think I avoided it at all costs. I can't tell you all what a relief it is to have NO ARGUMENTS in my mind. I think I'll keep it around as a backup forever.

Irie - I had to laugh at your post b/c I went to the dentist for a cleaning yesterday and I briefly thought - I hope they don't offer me mouthwash and I'll have to decline because I'm afraid if the AL in the mouthwash might set something off! :H:H They never did and I rinsed with water on my way out. I think I thought of more problems in my head that could possibly happen than ever actually will happen.

BlondAF - I remember you! Glad to see you're back. Yes many of us have tried (and tried, and tried) that modding thing. It just does not work for the long run. :l

Great to hear from everyone - you all sound so positive! Have a great AF day.

Comment

Herbie - great to hear from you as well! I'm AF as of the 15th so I'm right behind you.

Comment

Hello all,

I was away for one night for a work thing in the country. All my colleague drank plenty of rakia, I had sodas coming on the conveyer belt.

Sunshine ? many thx ? I am constantly working with her mother ? she is actually considering moving to London ( away from the AL father) and on to a new life for her and her daughter. She has tried counseling here for teenage anger / depression issue ( personally I this the counselor is an idiot ? told her she is overacting to everything and she should not think about things that bother her so much). Overreacting is what teenagers do !! And telling one ?not to think about it!? is like telling us not to think of AL and it will go away. Come on !!

Belle, you killed me ?pork chop in a bottle? ? but SL ? I was on the same diet during pregnancy and nursing .

Ishy ? Feeling dog tired comes with the detox territory ? On Sat I did nothing but lay on the coach all day, told my boys I am coming down with something. Juice some fruit & veg with fresh ginger - I find it gives me a real power boost.

UNW ? 100 hip hip hoorays for you

Irie ? I love your posts, you keep this thread so positive.

To everybody else, wish you a nice AF night (or day) ? better rush home to my boys, I missed them so much
                          workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Hi BlondeAF and Herbie!! I remember both of you really well and am so happy to see you on this thread!

I finally got to my hotel (snowy passes again!) but have to hurry to meet my co-workers for dinner, so I just have a second to post. A couple of you have mentioned how positive I am and tonight it makes me laugh because there's a major pity party going on in my head. I wish I could drink with my friends tonight. I really do. On the drive over here I kept trying to think of a way I could rationalize it. Of course, I can't. I'm going to just have to learn to accept things for what they are.

So off to a sober dinner. Just like the other night if I feel like I'm about to crack I'm ditching the diet so I can cut myself a little break. We'll see, I'm feeling pretty great about dropping those alcohol pounds, so I bet unstick with it. The key will be I don't have to. I do have to skip the alcohol though if I'm going to be true to the commitment I've made to myself.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you Blondie and Herbie! Again, I'm so happy you've joined us!
                            Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Evening all - doing my accountability check!
                              Hey Herbie and Blonde! This is a very comfy thread, nice to see old friends, and we have all been there - hopefully not again, but this is a hard beast to kill that's for sure!
                              I think we all have managed a good run and ruined it so quickly and easily - one day I hope something clicks and sticks as it has for others, but for now all we can do is keep trying and that is much, much better than giving up!
                              Happy Wed day - hard to read other places I visit with lots of folks celebrating Nat Margarita day - and it is Lent - hmmm! Warped world we live in! Hope all have a comfy safe evening/night or morning depending on where you are....
                              “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Howdee All, just checking in

Hi to Herbie and Blondie

Irie - I dont cook with AL, nor do we go out that much (maybe once a month). However I will be careful not to order anything that has been made with AL, just to be on the safe side. I have not tried the mouth wash yet, but would not expect too much reaction.

Not much to report this side of the world, still coping AF and madly hectic at work

have a safe and happy AF day/night everyone

xx

Comment

Working...
                                X