You'd think I learn........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fell off once again. This time I'm hung over a bit. I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out where I went wrong with my day. I was in a decent mood too. Now, I'm awake from and I want to sleep but I feel too lousy to sleep. I'm drinking a cold Fresca and took two ibuprofen. I'm trying not to beat myself up. My head aches too much to cry. I feel shitty........Okay, the start of and AF day. Trying to stay positive.

Hey, you're right not to beat yourself up! It happens. I had a similar thing.....went out for a friends birthday and carried on into the night.........but you just have to wake up and decide that you will get focused again.

I think it is much like a diet........just because you ate a Tim Tam, you don't have to eat the whole packet!

Hang in there......

Love Trish
    Allow yourself to become all that you dreamed you could be..... and more. :banana:

Comment

Hi H,
      I've fallen over a few times as well, and so have many others here. But what we are all doing is starting afresh again each time rather than giving up and giving in. Beating up on ourselves just emphasises what we are trying to let go of, so keep the positive attitude going. So, try to get a bit of sleep and rest, start afresh tomorrow, and see how you go.
      Fran

Comment

I to went crazy this past Saturday nite. I am going to try to keep a positive attitude today and am missing the feeling of no alcohol in my brain. This is a two day hangover I believe. I have a big meeting today so I just am gonna have to pick myself up and dust myself off.

Sammys

Comment

Baby steps and perserverance. Pick yourselves back up and hop back on the train! You can do it. You just have to try and try again. Stopping the negative self-talk will help you too. The more you beat yourselves up, the more the drink will look appealing. You.......guys........can ........do .....it !!!

Comment

Ditto Accountable,

H, you can do it, hang on in there ....

Love & Hugs, Paula :h :l :h
            sigpicXXX

Comment

I have not started for the AF yet but I feel just like you this morning...groggy / headach etc. Watching football yesterday and company for dinner and before you know it ...Vodka does you in...

I am saving up to get the sups in the book and thinking about getting the Topa RX.

Any way Just to let you know you are not alone in this. Keep at it!
              Control the Mind

Comment

One thing that has helped me...

is to STOP, while you're contemplating having a drink, and size up the duration of the "giddiness" you'll get from the booze (for me it's about 1 hour, then it turns the corner into being "wrecked" or "useless" which really is NO fun), compared to how absolutely crappy (not to mention guilty) you'll feel for about the next 18 hours.
                Do I really want to destroy the next 3/4 of a day for about 1 hour of silliness?

In addition, I LOVE good sleep. Alcohol destroys my sleep. Ask: do I really want to give up one more night of the thing I really love (not to mention is probably really good for me)?

Sometimes just slamming on the brakes and really focusing on the BADNESS that will follow is enough to stop me. Maybe it's a strategy that will work for you on certain days.

All is not lost. Hang in there. Our thoughts are with you.

BFF

Comment

Okay, I feel shitty physically. I drank a lot of vodka last night. I just let it take control after a certain point. I'm not sure why I did it. I feel horrible. I'm trying to not feel like a total failure. I finally have energy to get up and get ready for work. I work a closing shift. I got horrible sleep last night. Well, I'm off to make some hot tea and jump in the shower. Maybe I'll feel more human after I do that and oh yeah brush my teeth. Thanks for the posts everyone. I am on the train again. This one should be the one. So, now my mini goal once again is to get to Wednesday. Huggs to all of you:h

Comment

Hi Just H.

You certainly aren't a failure .....

Have a nice shower, don't throw up when you brush your teeth (yes i've been there, done that etc ......)
                    have a lovely day, you deserve it.

Lots of love & hugs coming your way, Paula xx :h :l :h
                    sigpicXXX

Comment

Just H
                      We've all been there. The hangover is just a reminder of why we are here and why we are trying to get better. Get through tonight and tomorrow will be a new day.

Be strong
                      NP
                      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Hi Just H,
                        You are absolutely not a failure. You keep coming back. That means you are looking for answers.
                        For what it's worth, I consider myself at least above average on the IQ scale, but when it comes to alcohol, the learning curve for me has been painfully s-l-o-w. I have spent YEARS trying to quit altogether, grappling with the romantic idea of moderation, etc., and always, without fail, waking up asking myself "What happened? What went wrong?"

This year I FINALLY GET that the only thing that goes wrong for me is my decision to indulge in the first drink. After that, all bets are off and it is anyone's guess about how things will proceed from there. It's like the first drink turns on a switch, literally, in my brain (and maybe yours too).

So for me, I have decided it's easiet to just say no altogether (not that saying no is easy, but it's easier than saying okay to one, and then being at the mercy of my pickled brain after that.)

Once I got this boiled down to the simple concept of "What went wrong is I decided to drink instead of sticking to my plan to abstain," I found it easier to proceed.

There is an AA phrase that says, "We deal with alcohol -- CUNNING, BAFFLING, POWERFUL.

I think truer words were never spoken. It IS cunning. Each time we fall off the wagon despite our best intentions, we see just how cunning it is.

It IS baffling, the whole process of how we can keep coming back for more and more, despite all of the negative consequences.

And it is certainly powerful, which I think is the hardest part to deal with. If you think about it, you're trying to give up something you most likely LOVE :upset:

I am only on day 7, so I am certainly no sage, but the thing for me that seems to be different this time is that I have recognized it is my excessive drinking that is causing me to hate myself. And living life from a place of self hatred and I am so tired of it. I am at the point that I need to claim something sacred for myself. I just know in my heart that the one powerful act of choosing to walk away from my addiction is something that is going to bring about more abundance and self respect than I have ever dreamed possible.

Posting on this board is also helping immensely because it's a way of processing the crazy emotions that are going on. It's kind of like keeping a journal.

Anyway, I just wanted to respond and say you are not alone, we all know exactly what you are going through, and we all have our own timing on when things begin to turn around. I think the point is to keep trying.

Wishing you patience, gentleness and acceptance with your Self.

love,
                        Roxy

Comment

Have a nice shower, don't throw up when you brush your teeth (yes i've been there, done that etc ......)
                          have a lovely day, you deserve it.
                          I took a lovely hot hot and steamy shower. I was careful brushing my teeth. My stomach was almost fine but still a bit yucky. I was able to pull myself together to go to work.

I hate that my begining of the day was wasted by me just trying to feel like a human once again. Not fun and once of the many reasons I am here.

Thanks Roxy for your post. Yes, I do have a lot of work ahead of me. Yes, something has changed in my attitude towards drinking. Alcohol can be Powerful. I just need to learn to take back the power. Hubby and I were just discussing these things on the drive home from work just now. Thanks for the post and the honesty. It helps. :h :h :h

I'm off to get some decent sleep tonight. Hope everyone else gets some too. Huggs for all. Thanks and I can't keep telling all of you enough times how much the supportive posts mean to me. I'm on the train again and hope to ride it for quite a while. Woot Woot.

Comment

Hang in there just h.
                            It's a difficult thing that we're all trying to do.
                            Woot. Woot.

Comment

brushing teeth and throwing up

LOL!!!!!! Been there/done that. At least you can just start brushing again to keep that minty fresh taste.
                              Hope I don't sound like I am making fun of you Just H. It just tickled my fancy.

I haven't been here for a while, but thought I really needed to come back (that damn wagon has gotten way too rocky for me to hang on at the moment).

Best of luck and love to all.
                              GS

Comment

Working...
                              X