• Show
Clear All

quitting for me

Welcome needingchange!
    "Leap and the net will appear." - John Burroughs

Comment

quitting for me

Westie,
      Thank you. Where did you get that cute picture? Looks a little like my maltese.

Comment

quitting for me

Welcome, needingchange!!:l I'm on day 6, and this is my first time AF. I found this site last Thursday morning when I was sitting at my computer crying, with a horrible hangover and another "sick" day called into work. I typed "tools for quitting drinking" and this site was the first thing that popped up. I believe it was fate. I am so lucky to have found you all. You've given me the support and the hope to get and remain AF. I am profoundly grateful to you ALL!!!:l

"I like people too much or not at all."
        Sylvia Plath

Comment

quitting for me

Hi Libertygirl, Welcome. I'm also very new and still do not really know how to navigate around. Is there an easy way to tell if something you posted has a reply? I'm just not the most saavy on the website. Sounds like you are off to a really good start. I have not had a AF free day yet. Some days I have really cut back. I'm still in the process of ordering the supplements and just finished reading the My Way Out book. I'm very encouraged and thankful that I found this site as well. I'm praying it will be the help I've been looking for.

Comment

quitting for me

Correction....Library Girl

Comment

quitting for me

Hi Needingchange,
              I'm glad you're here...you've found a great place! What's your plan, to cut back on drinking then eventually going completely AF? Just wondering, so we can get an idea how to help you!
              Has anyone heard from Caithnessgirl?
              K9
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

quitting for me

needingchange;1271239 wrote: Hi Libertygirl, Welcome. I'm also very new and still do not really know how to navigate around. Is there an easy way to tell if something you posted has a reply? I'm just not the most saavy on the website. Sounds like you are off to a really good start. I have not had a AF free day yet. Some days I have really cut back. I'm still in the process of ordering the supplements and just finished reading the My Way Out book. I'm very encouraged and thankful that I found this site as well. I'm praying it will be the help I've been looking for.
                NC, to know if you got a reply automatically once you've posted somewhere, you can subscribe to that thread while you're on it or set it up where ANY thread you post on will then notify you if there's a reply.

I have it set up in my User CP to notify me whenever a thread I post on is posted on again. Look under Default Mode Subscription in User CP Options (left column). Then each time you log in you can select User CP and your subscriptions will be listed and darkened when there's a reply. Kind of hard to explain but see if you can do it with these instructions.

You can also go to thread tools when you're on a thread and use the drop down arrow. Select "Subscribe to Thread" and then click "Add Subscription." This allows you to pick threads more selectively unless you want to do the above.

Hope this helps - if not, I'm happy to try to get more detailed.

Comment

quitting for me

K9..I would really like to cut back and get control of it. After reading the book I felt very encouraged that this is a possibility, but only time will tell. I've ordered everything they are recommending except for topomax. I'm going to give it a try with everything except that at first. Did you use the CD's, supplements and everything? What worked for you?

Comment

quitting for me

unwasted...thank you. I think I figured it out using the thread tools. I couldn't figure out the user cp. One of my goals is to log on more often. I really find alot of encouragment just from reading the post. I feel relieved to have found people that are dealing with the same issues as I am with alcohol. I've never had the courage to talk with anyone openingly about knowing that I have a problem and it's a relief to be able to just say it and admit that I need some help.

Comment

quitting for me

NC -
                      Antabuse worked for me. I feel like without that medication I would still be flopping around trying to get a week sober here and there. I like the fact that Antabuse takes drinking completely off the table. You take a pill, you simply CANNOT drink (Ok, you can, but you'll wish you hadn't...then you'll wish you could crawl out of your skin, it feels that bad!). I don't take any other supplements. I have a prescription of Xanax and Ativan for anxiety, but I don't use them very much. No alcohol = no anxiety for me. I do use relaxation CD's at night, they are from the library and not from here. Other than that, I don't have many tricks up my sleeve, other than stay busy at first and re-direct your thinking. If you drink at home (like I did), make small changes there too...I sat in a different chair, moved a lamp to a different table, anything to make it seem different. Now I can be at home without automatically associating it with drinking, and I love it there even more now. You can feel free to confide anything to us, we've all been there and done that when it comes to drinking, and I know it can be a huge relief to know you're not alone.
                      K9
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

quitting for me

K9..Since I don't have all of the supplements and all yet I decided to go to the store and buy the L-gluten. I'm thinking I read somewhere that this was really helpful with cravings. I thought it couldn't hurt, but I have to say that I'm really wanting that beer right now. I do drink at home and have my habits of finally sitting down in the evening and relaxing and watching t.v. I'm super, super busy and seems like I go all the time. But I'm gonna have to find some new habits and something else that relaxes me. thank you for sharing. I'm really liking that tool thread because I knew that someone had replied to my message. I don't stay logged on because my son also uses my laptop and I'm just not ready to share this with him right now. Although he knows I struggle. He's 18 and the most awesome kid ever.

Comment

quitting for me

Unwasted...I think it was you who recommended the book "Kick the Drink". I'm reading it now and just wanted to say thank you. I'm only a few chapters in and beginning to think that this book will help me totally look at AF differently.

Comment

quitting for me

NC, yes I started a thread on it a while ago. I think it really helped me get out from under the illusion that there is anything beneficial about alcohol. Glad it's working for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X