Just Starting out and doing OK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this website by accident and I am so pleased I did. I have been a heavy drinker for at least 10 years. I got to a bottle and a half a night and decided I did not want to live my life like this any more. Sadly my best friend died of lung cancer in November last year. She was only 46yrs old and the last thing she said to me was to quit smoking!! I decided to give it a go. I bought some patches and they have really helped. I know if i have a drink, i will have a fag so i decided to quit both. to be honest, it was not as hard as I though it would be. The first week was hell but once I got past it, I started to feel great. I forgot what it was like and I never want to forget again. I have a son who has autism and a husband who has aspergur syndrome. We also have a lovely 5yr old girl and she is fine thank god! I used wine as a way to blank everything out and i used it for stress. Today is day 18 and i am so proud. However i do know how easy it is to slip back and thats why I have decided to join and the great people on here. Looking forward to hearing from other people!
    Poppykin

Welcome Poppykin!!
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Thank you, that's lovely and so true!
      Poppykin

Comment

WELCOME POPPYKIN

Wow! Great start for you! I quit both the same day too. It is hard enough to do just one. We deserve a pat on the back for that!

You sound great in your post-like you've figured a lot of this out. And you are right it is very easy to slip back into that bad "habit". It seems that you realize that drinking will not help nything at all. Good for you!

This is a great place for support. Hope to hear from you here! Stay strong!

Comment

Thank You

Thank you so much for your kind words! I only came here for the first time and it is already helping. Sometimes I feel a little low in the evening but I try to go to bed early and that helps. I am also still very raw about my friend passing and it is three months today.
          Poppykin

Comment

Poppy :welcome:

So glad you found MWO but sorry about your friend.

Big pat on the back for giving up cigs and alcohol. They always went together for me too, and now I do neither. Life is better this way. Being sober will help you cope with all your problems. I only thought alcohol helped - now that I have sober time under my belt I can see that it made things worse!

Sending you peace and strength :lilheart:

Comment

OMG it is so great getting lovely messages from everyone. They help so much. Your doing so well!! I don't know how to put my goals on and I am not sure how to put the smiley faces on but I will learn. It was actually loosing my friend that helped me with all of this. It is bitter sweet and I cannot begin to tell you how much my life is changing. I am heart broken and sometimes it is so hard. However she has made be realise that life is so very precious. I know i am grieving and I am allowing myself the time to do this without wine! Thank you again for your lovely message.
              Poppykin

Comment

Poppy, you can edit your signature and then add things below it by going to:

User CP (toward top left of page)
                Edit Signature (left column)
                Save (under signature box)

For Smiley faces and other icons, go to "Go Advanced" - bottom right depending on which screen you're on. Sometimes the box will just be there without having to go advanced. Just look to your right. Put your cursor where you want the icon to go and then just go find the icon and click it.

Let me know if you need more help. You can start out with some small goals on your AF and then add more time as you feel more confident..

Thinking of you - so sorry about your friend. Life is precious and we waste so much of it numbing ourselves out with alcohol. Our bodies are such beautiful machines - it's crazy to think what we electively do to them. Well, no more destruction for me. I hope you give yourself the gift of sobriety.

Comment

Welcome Poppy!

You sound lovely yourself :welcome:
                  I am sort of new to this forum myself. I am almost 30 AF this time, thanks to the friends and support I have found on this forum. It is amazing! I appreciate the tutorial on signatures and such, unwasted :thanks: I haven't mastered that yet myself
                  Hey poppy, I have mostly been posting in the newbies nest since I am really just starting out. Just saying that you may want to pop over there and introduce yourself of you have not already done so. Everyone is so nice and so helpful no matter which way you turn on this forum.
                  Love and support
                  Starfish
                  :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Dang, very nice, trying to stop both the AL AND the cigs at the same time.....must have nerves of steel........I dont know that I could do that.

Our very own Ringing Cedars is doing the same thing....you two are something special. Im sure there are others, but my brain doesnt function well in the A.M(or the P.M. for that matter)

I know all about the added stress of raising a child with Autism....my oldest has Aspergers as well....albiet a highly functioning version of it.

Good choice in coming here, you will find great advice and support, so keep visiting every chance you get.

Wishing you strength, wisdom and support to kick booze/fags to the curb
                    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Advice very helpful!

I will go on the other sites, thank you for that as I did not realise. I am still struggling with the smilies. I put my cursor on them but only the works appear and not the smilie. I will do the tutorial!

It is great to see other people on here that have an awareness of autism. My boy also has ADHD but he is doing OK.

I did struggle last night but a bar of chocolate seemed to sort me out. I was worried about tonight as it is Valentines Day and my husband would usually buy wine. However I asked him not too and sent me daily emails and texts to keep reminding him. I have bought sparking drink that looks really good. I am sure it will be fine and I am looking forward to waking in the morning with a clear head.

I find that I really crave a drink when i am tired!! I will pop back later. Thanks again for all the helpful advise. I am loving this website!! I never realised how much support is on here. :thanks:
                      Poppykin

Comment

I've worked it out!!

Just realised that the smilie comes on when I send the reply! :h
                        Poppykin

Comment

Hi Poppy, you're making progress! Yay you!!

Comment

Working...
                          X