How I kicked AL for good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I kicked AL for good

Thanks again Tim, very inspiring and a reaffirmation for many of us! I appreciate the time you took to do this......very kind of you.:l

Comment

How I kicked AL for good

Thanks for sharing Tim, I to read Jason Vale and for some wonderful reason I have got to 40 days relatively easy with the occasion al yearning for a glass of wine which I have been able to dismiss.
      Keep your posts coming I am another who is being helped with them

well done and thanks again
      Stella

Back to the beginning day 02 Jan 2013

Grateful for MWO :thanks:

Comment

How I kicked AL for good

I just got the jason vale book last night. Up to page 108. AF since sunday - saturday being last day..... I have gone to two aa meetings this week....

but i need to really thank you tim. I am REALLY relating to this book. I am actually excited about reading it. AA doesn't do that to me. I feel more like i am punishing myself by going to these aa meetings ..... I am more of a secular humanist so I have a disconnect with the whole powerless/god thing. I relate to Vale's book because it is just common sense....I hope this works for me... so far, so good. If you hadn't posted, I would not have known about it.

So, I have a plan and am actually excited about it rather than full of self pity and sadness.
        THANKS
        I just won't anymore

Comment

How I kicked AL for good

Jenniech - I couldn't agree more.

That book is great and one of the best things about it is it's self empowering. Everyone has this knowledge that there is NO benefit to AL inside of them - we've just been conditioned for years to think otherwise. Good luck with your journey!

Comment

How I kicked AL for good

Timpin-
            Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I agree 100% that you have to have a plan. I read the book, went to the doctor, got Antabuse...everything you have mentioned. I credit my sobriety to all of this. We have to WORK on being sober, it's not just going to happen. I keep it at the forefront of my mind, without obsessing over it. Before you know it, something within the mind switches, and you can see alcohol for what it really is, instead of romanticizing it. For the longest time I had the cozy/warm feeling when I thought about drinking, now I get the nauseated/disgusted feeling when I think about it. Alcohol never did anything good for me and it never will.
            Thanks again for the info!
            K9
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

How I kicked AL for good

Really inspirational! Thank you!

Comment

How I kicked AL for good

Thank you for your story timpin, you sound like you have a lot of resolve and determination. It sounds like you might have not even needed the campral at all since you made a decision that you didn't back off of. I too read the Jason Vale book and found it extremely helpful in changing the attitude of alcohol being a crutch, a friend, a social lubricant etc. Before reading his book and Easyway, I honestly thought that in spite of the problems alcohol caused, it helped me live my life in so many other ways. That is absolutely false thinking. Once you can break through the misconceptions, you won't feel like you are missing out.

Once my rational brain got that though, I still would have that craving monster in my brain come around at 5 pm and in spite of "getting" the facts, the monster would win much of the time. What helped me with that part was reading Rational Recovery. It thoroughly explains that other voice that is not your "right mind" and how you can actually deal wit it.

I firmly believe that these two books together are what has worked for me. Reading the Jason Vale book first makes you realize how you have been brainwashed about alcohol by society all of your life. It makes you realize alcohol is not a crutch, not medicine, etc, but a poison that is destroying your life. Rational Recovery makes you recognize that the irrational voice that pops up in your head, despite the real you knowing that alcohol is a toxic destroyer of life, is not the real you. It really drives the point home.

I read Rational Recovery years ago and totally dismissed it and didn't get it. It wasn't until I read and got the points in Vales book that I was really ready for the Rational Recovery message.

Comment

Working...
                X