Fighting for my life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting for my life

Hi Mands and Welcome! You have come to the right place. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Jump into the Newbies Nest too...it is a great thread full of new members and senior members alike. Look forward to getting to know you. I had over 100 days of sobriety last year (not in a row, altogether) and now I am at Day 4 for this year. Hoping to kick it for real this time. Good luck to you!
    Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
    :h

Comment

Fighting for my life

Mands, I was reading your initial post and felt just like you did about the second voice that comes up in your head urging you to drink. It's like the rational voice in younknows all the true facts about alcohol and this other voice that could care less takes over and before you know it you are obeying it instead of your rational, true self.

I posted about his a few days ago, but I recently read a book called Rational Recovery that has really helped me understand and come up against that other beast voice. It explains how the beast voice originated in our brains and how to effectively deal with it. There are excersizes in the book that are very helpful in coming up against that voice.

There isnt too much about this book on this board and I think its a shame because it has been a very useful tool for me. I think you have to be ready for this message, and it sounds like you are. I think part of the reason the book gets some negative feedback is because the author devotes a few chapters to bashing AA and he may sound over the top. I just ignored those chapters, not because I subscribe tho the AA way, but because I believe whatever works for anyone is their own business and I'm just happy for whoever is able to beat this in any way they can. Good luck, Mands

Comment

Fighting for my life

Hi Mands!

Welcome to the site. The sleeplessness is probably cause you are going through withdrawl. I couldn't sleep the first 3 nights I stopped drinking. The fourth night I think I had strange dreams. After that I slept like a baby and have done so since.

Personally, I think that the "voice" you hear is the addictive voice in your head. The one that tells you "it's ok just to have one". You have to fight with that voice for quite some time. BUT it does get easier. The longer you stay al free, the less that "voice" will come into play. Try to stay al free long enough to notice all the positive changes that will come your way...including the "voice" getting quieter and quieter. Post often! You should come join us in the newbies nest!
        "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
        Goal 1- 3 days al free
        Goal 2- 7 days al free
        Goal 3- 1 month al free
        Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Working...
        X