Temptation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temptation

On day two now, but with my new choice to sober up I am facing a delima/temptation. At home in my living room I have a fully stocked bar, about 20 bottles of liquor plus a couple decanters, my refridgerator has about 10 beers and 4 or so bottles of wine. I do not want to throw them out, and I cannot drink them.

Temptation

I had a brand new 30 pack in my garage the day I decided to stop drinking. I took it over to my neighbors place and gave it to him.....needless to say, he was very happy.

You have a LOT more to get rid of, but, in this house, there will not be a drop of AL. There is just way too much temptation. I cant imagine trying to stare down bottles of poison in the early stages of quitting, I wish you luck
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Temptation

Hi Miklo!
      I understand you don't want to throw them out (yet, anyway). Can you box everything up and maybe put it in the garage or somewhere where it's not right in your face? I know that I personally would not want to be face-to-face with any alcohol. I think maybe getting it stored somewhere would be a good idea. Just a suggestion.
      K9
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Temptation

Hi Miklo and ditto what K9 and Nelz have said. I had to get the booze out of the house - too tempting for me - that's just how it had to be.

Good luck to you.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Temptation

Miklo, I think out of sight out of mind, is a good idea. I know it's a lot of money to throw away. I couldn't have alcohol in the house at the beginning.
          Someone gave me a bottle of wine after christmas and it's still sitting on my kitchen counter and occasionally it calls to me. I would probably be more comfortable if it wasn't in the house.
          Best of luck.
          Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
          If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
          November 2, 2012

Comment

Temptation

I agree with everyone else...get it out of the house and at least in storage or something if you can't give it away. Unless you have iron willpower, but I would get rid of the stuff you would be tempted to drink. I only drank red wine...nothing else. Hubs can drink beer in front of me now and it doesn't bother me, cause I hate beer. Our liquor cabinet has whiskey and rum in it and I never did care for those so they are safe. Maybe you can't stand some of the booze you mentioned in house, BUT if there is anything you like to drink there, I would get rid of it for sure.
            Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
            :h

Comment

Temptation

I agree with all the post above. My poison is Rum. I can not have it in my house. If it was here there is better than a 50/50 chance that I would have a drink.

Get it out of your home!
              RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

Temptation

Hi Miklo,
                Kudos on day 2. The day I decided to finally go AF about a week ago, I poured all the hard liquor in the house down the drain - it gave me great pleasure, BUT kept the 6 bottles of wine that my husband likes to drink. Well at the end of the first 3 days AF, I thought well that wasn't too bad, I certainly can have a glass of wine - most here already know the outcome of that became - 5.....So I poured all the remaining wine down the drain. Am now on my second time around Day 3 AF. No more booze in the house!
                "Leap and the net will appear." - John Burroughs

Comment

Temptation

No alcohol in the house for me....the "fuckits" are too strong!
                  When my brother quits from time to time he boxes his up and brings it to a friends house for storage.
                  Day 1 again 11/5/19
                  Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                  Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                  Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                  11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                  12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Temptation

I dont have an iron will, thats why I have a problem to begin with. But I cant do it yet, I cant let go. I see all the money invested, I have several good bottles of scotch, bourbon, and tequila that were quite expensive. Boxing them up for storage sounds good.

Comment

Temptation

My problem was wine - I have relapsed twice including after an 8 + month AF stretch, but the real problem I have is my husband likes wine too and has loads in the house (well garage) and refuses to get rid of it as he doesn't want to quit drinking. I really believe this is why i am struggling back on day 1 again and if our house was AF I would find things easier. If u do get the opportunity to box the stuff up or even get rid / donate then please do . You said it cost a lot but if you did give it away (after first calculating the total cost even though it would be an incredibly painful thing to do both personally and financially) you'd probably be horrified as to how much money you were spending / wasting on drink and then could think up something else to spend the money as a ereward with what you save when you quit. You may be less likely to relapse if you've given it away too. My grandad did that with cigarettes. Decided he'd stop smoking and gave away his last few packets, made himself accountable and never smoked again.

Comment

Temptation

I cannot have temptaion in front of me. It's just too hard for me.

My DH and I argued about that in the beginning as he likes to keep a bar - irritating as he hardly ever touches it. So we compromised and put his "bar" in a cabinet that we have that can be closed and locked.

It probably could be opened fairly easily, but the fact that it's in that cabinet is enough trouble to keep it out of my mind.

However, some people (eg. Timpin) have accepted we live in a world full of AL and they have quit with AL in their house. In that case I think it takes a really strong mental committment that there is NO way you will be opening that liquor.

Good luck with your journey!

Comment

Working...
                        X