First Time Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Here

Hello to all. I am sitting here with a hellacious hangover, skipped work and am reaching out for help for the first time. I have toyed with the notion of quitting for quite some time now, and the bad has far exceeded the good with alcohol...so, here I am raw and scared and maybe hopeful?

Thanks for listening to my post. I am crying as I write this, because it has taken me so long to admit I have a (HUGE) problem.:upset:

Hope to talk with all of you and hear your stories, as I share some of my own.

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

First Time Here

Welcome LibraryGirl!!!!

This place is full of support and information. I've had ENOUGH too! I'm sick of the hiding, crappy "sleeps", guilt, and shame. I know how awesome it feels to be sober and am ready to tackle each day. I have had long stretches then fall off. I'm only on day 2 but it beats walking up with one eye open. I hope, beyond hope to stay sober this time.
    AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

First Time Here

Welcome LG!

Ive been right there with you, sick and tired of being sick and tired, hangovers, wondering just what I did last night, and why. You have come to a great place, lots of support, and lots of great advice.

Come on in, participate(ask questions or comment), you never know when something you say or ask, might just help someone.

You can do this if you want to, it wont be easy(but mostly in the beginning), but it will be worth it, and you will have a lot of people pulling you along
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

First Time Here

Hi LibraryGirl and welcome!
        We've all been where you are. The last time I called in "sick" to work due to a hangover I swore it would be the last, and it was. I cried and cried all day, and realized I had to STOP this madness. It was not my first (or 20th) attempt at getting sober, but somehow it was different. I was just tired of it. You sound ready to make some big changes. For today, I would suggest you eat well, drink lots of fluids and get some rest. I'm glad you reached out to us, we're happy to help. Please stick around and let us know how you're doing.
        K9
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

First Time Here

Welcome librarygirl to mwo,This is a great community with lots of good help & support from people who are or where you are now,read read & read as many posts & threads as you can,Post your thoughts and qustions as much as you like,Well done on taking this first giant step in your new life, you wont regret it :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

First Time Here

Thank you, all of you for your kind, supportive answers. This is going to be a rough journey, but one worth taking. I am worried about the cravings I will inevitably have, the sleeplessness, etc. I currently take no supplements at all. What vitamins, etc. do you recommend? And also, would an anti-anxiety medication only lead back to drinking?

Do you take sleeping pills? Just wondering, because on the one or two days in the past 10-12 years of daily drinking that I've actually not drank, I have not been able to sleep through the night.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

First Time Here

The sleep will be rotten for me for a few nights then I sleep like a baby after that. There is nothing better than waking up guilt free and feeling human. I take milk thistle for my liver and L-Glutamine for cravings.
              AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

First Time Here

Hi LG -
                I am currently taking Ativan for anxiety (short term) and Celexa (long term). I also take Melatonin for sleep, it's a natural supplement that you can buy at any drug store. The first few nights of sleeplessness suck, there's no other way to say it! But give your body time, it is trying to figure out how to sleep instead of pass out. In a few days you will notice a huge difference. Can you go to the doctor to talk about your situation and possibly get some medication to help? I highly recommend it, if possible.
                Keep us posted on your progress!
                K9
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

First Time Here

I'm a little embarrassed to talk to my doctor, but it may be the best thing to do. Thanks for the helpful advice all!

Sylvia Plath

Comment

First Time Here

Library Girl - :welcome:

So glad you decided to join us - hope you make yourself right at home and join right in! I take melatonin for sleep and swear by it. I have never taken an antidepressant before but started having lonley sad thoughts right after drinking - may have been withdrawl - not sure. I'm also taking 5-HTP and I honestly swear by that as well! You may have to experiment with the supps and find what works for you.

Glad you are here!
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

First Time Here

Jeez - and I meant right after I stopped drinking. Sorry - sometimes my fingers try to keep up with my thoughts and it just doesn't end well :H
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

First Time Here

Welcome librarygirl. It's nice to meet you. I found it incredibly difficult to talk to my doctor, but she couldn't have been nicer about it. No lectures, no funny looks, just gave me a referral to a doctor who counsels alcoholics. (He is a recovering alcoholic...imagine getting him in the emergency room!)
                        The sleeping thing is the reason I started drinking at night, to help me sleep. And now that I have been AF for a while, I'm back at the starting point, still having trouble sleeping LOL.
                        Wishing you much success in your AF journey.
                        Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                        If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                        November 2, 2012

Comment

First Time Here

Hey LibraryGirl!!! Welcome aboard! Glad you found us! For help with sleep, all I do is take a cup of Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea about a half hour before bed and it seems to help. I am only on Day 2, just like AlmostFamous. I have tried several times to stop drinking in the past 5 years or so and my longest sober stint was 70 days last year. I'm back on track now and owe a great deal of my motivation to MWO, so stick around...it only gets better!!!
                          Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                          :h

Comment

First Time Here

BlondeAFAmbition;1267381 wrote: Hey LibraryGirl!!! Welcome aboard! Glad you found us! For help with sleep, all I do is take a cup of Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea about a half hour before bed and it seems to help. I am only on Day 2, just like AlmostFamous. I have tried several times to stop drinking in the past 5 years or so and my longest sober stint was 70 days last year. I'm back on track now and owe a great deal of my motivation to MWO, so stick around...it only gets better!!!
                            Def. going to buy some. Thanks for the tip! Here's to day 2 Blonde!
                            AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

First Time Here

I didn't get to a store today to buy any of the recommended suppls, but plan to very soon. I poured out all of the alcohol in the house, even the new (half-empty) bottle of rum I bought yesterday. Doing ok tonight so far, but having anxiety every time I think of never drinking again. It seems impossible.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Working...
                              X