What Should I Expect/Ask My Doctor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to the doctor this afternoon. Feeling a bit anxious. He is a new doctor...I haven't seen him but one time, and it was for a sore throat, lol. Do you have any pointers? Please hurry, I have 45 minutes before I leave for my appointment, ha ha!

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

Hi

I'd be curious to know how you went with the Dr.

The one that I "fessed up to" I had never met before - I guess I could not face my normal GP

I am glad that I am able to followup issues myself - he just gave me a script for 3 months of antabuse, wrote out the test referral and left me on my ownsome.

The pharmacist repeated so many times "no alcohol" when handing me the script - more than the Doctor.
    :wings: "Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

Comment

I went, but left. It's a Doctor's Care facility, and the doctor on call was actually someone I haven't met yet. You can't really make an appointment, it's first come, first served. So I had to leave before he could actually see me. I plan to go back tomorrow.

My goal is to find out if I need tests to determine if I have any damage due to alcohol consumption for the past 20 years. If there's anything he can prescribe to sleep, for anxiety, etc. Basically, just try and get a wellness check, so to speak.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

LibraryGal

hope the Dr manages to fit you in tommorow.

It actually took several ant bites to get me to the Dr, and I had not planned to "fess up".

A rather painful way to get there I might add.

Hope its a smooth process for you.

Comment

Morning LG -
          First off I want to say that I wish I was a Librarian, I love books! Now to the topic at hand, the first time I went to my doctor for drinking I was such a mess and so fed up, I cried and said "I drink too much and I can't stop". She looked at me, gave me a big hug and said "We'll get through this". To this day I have never had a bad experience with that wonderful lady. And even though I recently had to change Doctors due to insurance, I lucked out AGAIN and found another great lady Doctor that is caring and truly intersted. I think the fact that I'm SO open and honest about it makes it easier for them to respond the same way. I never shift blame or make excuses...I am the one that drinks too much and I own it. Just be as honest as possible with the Doctor. I'll be thinking of you. Good luck!
          K9
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Well, I went back and was turned away, in the most humiliating way. The place was trying to close early, and the nurse said if she had known I was coming, she would have called me and told me they were closing early, then she very irritably said, "What did you need?" I said "Quitting alcohol." Then she said, well Dr. so and so isn't here, only so and so, you don't want to wait? I said, no, it doesn't matter. So she went to the back and I heard the doctor exclaim loudly, "Tell her to go to Br---- H--." Thankfully there was only one other patient in the waiting room. The place he was talking about is a rehab center/treatment facility for alcohol/drug addiction. I said, it's not that serious, I just wanted to talk to him about some help for sleeping/anxiety, and she said well we don't treat that here.

I was so embarrassed and outraged. I had already told another nurse the day before why I needed the appt, and she didn't say they couldn't see me.

Anyway, my bf just called and said he locked the keys in the car at Walmart and is going to have to call a locksmith. And, I just noticed a half bottle of wine in the bottom of the fridge.lease: when will this shit get better?

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Oh LG I am so sorry that so much sh%t is happening to you right now. Please try another Doctor. Throw out that half bottle of wine...it won't help anything, in fact it will make it worse...because everything else will still be there only you'll have to face it with a hangover. Please stay strong. I am thinking of you! :l

Comment

Grr how unprofessional.

I never got it before, but going to see the Doctor is a big deal.

It takes a lot of courage.

LibraryGirl you are stronger than the medical staff you dealt with today.

Give them the :finger: as you ditch the wine with the other hand.

If you are home for tonight go have a nice warm shower and get in some pyjamas.

Drag out a trashy book or movie with gratuitous amounts of "fluff in it".

Then go find cookies, milk and a duvet.

I am not sure if you had a busy night planned, but be sure to get some time in - just for you.

I hope that helps :l

Then you can tackle the other stuff, but not until innoculated with cookies.

Comment

Hi LG-
                  Hope you're doing ok today. Did you throw out that wine? Please continue to look for another doctor, there ARE good ones out there, I'm confident you will be able to locate one. I hope you stayed strong in the face of that 1/2 bottle. I know I'm not that strong. Please let us know how things went for you last night.
                  Sending you strength and a hug
                  K9

Comment

Thank you Everyone! I am on day 8, so no I didn't drink the wine. I didn't throw it out either. Not yet anyway. It's probably pure vinegar by now. It's at least a month old.

I haven't made any more doc. visits and am just going to try the supplements recommended in the Toolbox. The ones I wrote down seem like a LOT. There were about 6+ pills to take three times a day. Isn't that excessive? Just wondering.

:l Really appreciate the support here!

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Hi LG!

I'm so sorry also to hear about your negative Dr. experience. I'm too terrified to confront my GP about my problem and have decided to go it on my own. I also am worried about medical records etc.

Anyway, sending you loads of peace and strength. You were so brave to go there! :l

Comment

Working...
                      X