April Restarts - Lets's do this thing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a desire to start a thread for the April Restarts to have a place to go.

So - here you are. . :welcome:

We have done this before. Let's make this one stick.

Ladies and Gentleman - we will not drink AL today.

Start your engines.:happy:
    That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
    Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
    AF - August 20, 2012

I love it...I'm in although today would be my first day....

On your mark!!!!
    Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Day 6 here. We can do this dang it!
      February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Hi,

Welcome all!

I am very happy to have an April team of support - I'm sure we could all really use it. Like you guys, I've had the on-off stop-start. The most I have managed is 21 days I think. I really know I need to quit for good but for now I'm focusing on the month of April.

Tipplerette.... from previous thread... do you have to go on Saturday night? Are you sure you'll get lots of flack for not drinking? I've found sometimes people really don't say much if I don't make a huge issue about my not drinking. Mostly they only worry you'll judge their drinking if you're not! And sometimes it's best to just avoid such situations if you're feeling weak. Just food for thought...

Day two and I'm feeling flat and anxious. So hard to get out of bed this morning and feel positive. So I re-found the list of positive things I liked about not drinking before when I'd managed a spell before. A reminder to myself and in the hopes it may help someone else...

That the last two nights I slept soundly and uninterrupted for 8 hours *without* taking a sleeping pill. (Not that I always take them - just that I usually only sleep soundly when I do.)

I feel sparklier and sunnier - feeling the dark clouds start to lift

Feeling more able to think of, and be present with, the people I love

My anxiety is easing - not gone by any means, but definitely easing

Having the mental capacity to get properly engrossed in a novel again

Feeling more able to focus on work and feel motivated - not getting distracted every two minutes and feeling foggy, flat and hopeless

Having more energy to accomplish more - not getting so overwhelmed by every tiny thing

Not being as flooded by stress and irritation - my moods seem more stable already

Feeling proud of myself for tackling this - a sense of cleanness and light, rather than dark, shameful shadows

Not having horrendous hangovers and the associated guilt, remorse and shame

Saving money - alcohol is such a wallet drainer it's astonishing to realise when you stop

I've lost 1.5 kilos! I'm working out almost daily. I'm also more motivated to watch what I eat and eat healthily when I don't drink (no cravings for grease, stodge and sugar post drinking)

Comment

This is a great thread

Thanks
          Patrice

Comment

I got up today - not hung over - but SO tired. As if my body could have slept a million more hours to wipe out some of the abuse.

I went to sleep to my custom Hypnos for the first time in forever. My mood felt brighter when I woke up. I had the energy to go to an exercise class for the first time in years- ended up with a massive endorphin rush that lasted hours. I can't remember the last time I walked out feeling like I could take on the whole world and win.

Tonight I am more tired than usual, early. Probably because I got more done.

My SO has been much nicer to me today than in the past 6 weeks. My mood, my energy, all reminding him of who I was before I fell headlong into that last binge.

There are a lot of reasons to stay this course. This week will be really hard. Week one's are. ODAT.

But I will be here a lot as I know better. I know what will happen if I am not reading when I am not off doing.

I am Prairie Fairy. And I did not drink AL today.
            That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
            AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Hello PrairieFairy!!!

Very positive colors in your avatar!!

My Day 1 - April 3.
              After 5 day binge drinking (before i had 4 AF days). Feel exausted..

New trial to get out of the hell..
              The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
              /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

Honeysoup, Wagoneer, and LillyE - we can do this!

Audry and Patrice - good to see both of you here. :-).
                AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Hey Patrice, I remember you - how're you doing?

Hey Audrey, fellow down underer.

Prairie Fairy - congrats on the exercise. I think it can be key. I had a good walk today. Planning to go to the gym tomorrow first thing and walk with a friend after work. You're right first weeks are hard, but then it gets easier...

Stay the course...

L x

Comment

Morning all, (if it is morning)
                    day1 done,had a hard night,my brother broke down in his car and i had to go fetch him,this is just the excuse i would of needed to beable to go to the shop.as i drove i had one of those goog and evil arguements in my head,if you know what i mean.i didnt though.i got back and sorted out our spare room instead.
                    this morning my eyes are sore as if iv had a few last night,probably due to the lack of sleep though.
                    Anyway,its another day and i can be as strong as i, and others were yesterday.
                    Day1 april 2nd 2012 DONE
                    Day 7 - April 8
                    Day 14 - April 15
                    Day 21 - April 22
                    Day 28 - April 29
                    Day 35 - May 6
                    Day 42 - May 13
                    Day 49 - May 20
                    Day 56 - May 27

Comment

LillyE,
                      Great post. Can really relate to all that you said, especially about the emotions etc.
                      Hang in there. I am on day 23 and woke up feeling the best I have felt in years to day - but I know that I still have a long way to go. Hope that I can last the distance.
                      If at first you dont succeed......

Comment

Thanks Over It and a huge congrats on 23 days! I know that when I've had breaks before it's around 2-3 weeks that I start feeling great. The first week is the hardest for sure. Unfortunately for me it's around then I often also fall off the wagon - the novelty wears off and I forget why not.

I'm just focusing on April for now. I am worried though, as I'm going on holiday (well, a working holiday but still a holiday...) around heavy drinking friends in June. I'm not sure how I'll go with that. I do know, now, however, that when I'm off for a bit I seem to quickly go back to it harder than ever. Classic sign of a problem I know. Sigh.

Have people posted their stories in the My Story thread? If not maybe people could give us a brief overview of themselves and where they're at so we can get more of a sense of each other?

It's night here in Aus but I hope you're all having a good morning/afternoon/evening wherever you are.

I so felt like wine tonight but made myself a healthy dinner and am drinking soda water with lime instead. Gonna distract myself with Mad Men and some reading now.

Night all.

Lilly

Comment

Good Morning all Day 7 here. Seems like when you are trying to stay sober, life throws all kinds of curveballs at you - tests if you will. My cliennts have been unbearable, I have been tired as heck with allergies, other stresses...you know LOTS of excuses to pop by the State Store. But I really do not want to drink. In my heart. Doesn't seem like much after being sober 11 months, but I do know one thing. I will not drink today! Happy and positive thoughts to all of you. We can totally do this!

Love Waggy
                          February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Struggling a bit!

Hi LillyE,

Thanks for the words of encouragement but even though you congratulated me for my 23 days, I am starting to wobble.:tsk:

It is our wedding anniversary this Saturday and I am thinking that it would be ok if I stop the AB, but still stay on the Topa and only have 1 bottle of wine to celebrate.

As I am sitting here typing this my SO has opened a bottle of wine (3rd one since Sunday) and is happily supping away! :upset: This makes it really difficult for me.

I am also in Australia, at least the weather is great atm, and I have been out in the garden today giving it a "makeover" so I feel that at least I have accomplished something significant for a change instead of being hungover and gross!

I hope that I can remain strong -but I am having some serious doubts now.
                            If at first you dont succeed......

Comment

FAIL

Hi All: So nice to see you all doing well and working hard at beating this thing. I am afraid that I did not even make it to day one. I had great intentions but after work I came home and actually snuck AL so that my husband would not see me. I only had 2 drinks but in my opinion that was 2 too many. I think we need to get it out of the house! I am not strong enough to resist right now. No excuses, I just did not succeed. Today is a new day and I will try again. I have a plan to stay uber busy tonight after work which seems to be my trigger time. Have a great day everyone and may today be my day #1 (again).

S

Comment

Working...
                              X